Oconto river walleyes

• Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

I’m from MN and really want to experience the great fisheries that Greenbay provides. My research has shown me the Oconto river is a great place to land a life time fish. Can anyone tell me when this bite usually starts? I’m watching flow, water temp and watching forums to see when the action starts. Is there any other sources to watch? Just want to plan a couple day trip in April Any info would be appreciated

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks to me like the bite started about a week ago. James did a show over there last year and talked about ice the day before where they had the boat that day. We will be heading over Friday morning for the weekend.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

So far most of the fish are being caught within 2 miles of the river mouth in the bay. Buddy was out there yesterday morning in 4+ footers. Said it was worth “The God Forsaken beating ” he and the boat took. Cranks, Paddletails, and a couple on blades.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

we’re getting 10″-14″ of snow tonight. conditions will be pretty poor for a while.

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Thanks all for input. I was able to watch James and Paul put on a good show last year. It looks exciting and a lifetime event. I know it would be easier just hiring a guide but I want to experience the challenge for myself. More satisfaction that way when you hook a big one

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

We fished it Sunday March 13th this year, the ice went off the landing Saturday night. We caught 2 white fish. The water temp was 36. Too cold for walleye to be in the river. The bay was still iced up. I think James and Paul and the weather had perfect timing last year. I also think the snow they are suppose to get will delay things again.

It looks like the episode this week is from that area again.

This is from there Facebook page.
    In-Depth Outdoors
    18 hrs ·

‪#‎InDepthOutdoors‬ just got off the water! We have one heck of a show for all of you on Sunday! Paul Delaney from Late Eyes Sport Fishing Guide Service and James Holst caught some dandies!
    In-Depth Outdoors’s photo.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I went up that direction for the first time last year after the show… I am guessing I was on the tail end of it all, and still had a fantastic time. I did as you mentioned, we went on our and figured it out in our own boat…. was well worth it. I wouldn’t be at all concerned about timing it for mid-April. I am off to Erie the first week, and may head that direction the second week of the month.

My buddy used just a jig and big twister tails. I tossed flicker shads, and my dad seemed to bounce around with all sorts of stuff. We all caught fish.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

The next week to ten days are something I’d keep a real close eye on…the snow may drop the temps a bit temporarily but it’s getting close regardless. Find a couple local guides or bait shops, keep a weather ear out and be prepared to bolt when it hits?

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Any update on the bite out there I’m trying to decide where to go next week rainy river or Green Bay any info is appreciated.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have been seeing some pictures of fish in the river the last week or so from over there. That about all Ive heard. Here are some photos of our fish from a couple of weeks ago. Ive been on some big fish bites over the year but this one soared right to the top. We had at least 8 on Saturday that went over 10#s and a couple over 11. We will be back.

Attachments:
    1. 1914874_10153974822234526_7613896072743027181_n-2.jpg

2. 12347860_10153977811724526_3103284325350050098_n.jpg

3. 10410233_10153974822334526_1794984677430959735_n.jpg

4. 12523822_10206202015669960_918543821351874221_n.jpg

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Wow looks like a great trip well done!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

bow bow bow

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I’m thinking about heading out to oconto April 16-19 for the first time. Is that to late in the month to get in a good bite. Not much of a troller, would rather cast. Also, 10 day forecast calls for 5-10mph wind out of the ESE to NE. What should I expect for waves if that wind forecast holds true? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im not much of a troller either but it didnt take us long to realize there is a lot of water that looks the same over there. Trolling was a good way to locate fish and learn the area a bit. Bring planner boards. Once we located a few fish then we cast for them. Saturday it was tough to stop and cast as one big fish after another was coming in trolling and we didnt want to upset the program.

No idea on where those fish might be later this month. The area looked a lot like parts of mille lacs to me. If thats the case we got the fish as they moved to the shoreline prespawn. Temps should warm and they move up the rivers. After spawn they tend to hang on the shorelines for a bit. Im guessing thats what you guys might hit but then again Ive only been over there once so far.

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Nice fish! Looks like a fun trip. Can you elaborate a little on the trolling setup – leadcore, long lines, stick baits, shad style baits, size, speed, etc? Not looking for all the details but just a starting point. Planning to head over there in 2 weeks – hopefully there are still some active fish in the system!

Thanks.
    Brett

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Planner boards, and long lining large stick baits. Water is pretty clear over there so need to get those baits away from the boat. Water temps where cold a few weeks back so very slow was the key. We fished most 10′ of water or less.

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Does anyone have a recent report on the bite? 3 of us are heading over on Friday for a couple of days and was hoping to get some more up to date info on what to expect.

Thanks.
    Brett

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Does anyone have any recommendations for overnight stay a couple of nights this March or April in Oconto? Looking for respectable place (clean, boat security etc) during the stay that won’t break the bank. Any feedback would be great to shorten the learning curve. Thanks

bjmiller

We’ve stayed at the Edgewood Motel in Peshtigo. Park the boat right at your front door and has power hook-up for batteries. Outdoor fish cleaning area behind the motel. Great Supper Club right across the street! Easy and affordable!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We stayed at the oconto motel. Cheap but bring your own can of lysol. Stunk like packer fans.

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Thanks guys. Is there a launch at pashtigo like oconto? Or do you drive around?

bjmiller

From Peshtigo head south on Cty Rd Y about 6-8 miles to North Bay Shore Recreation Area. Great ramps/parking and centrally located to fishing grounds north to south. It isn’t quite as big as Oconto ramp/pavilion but will be more than adequate. Protective harbor/break-walls and easy docking/loading. If you want to fish the Peshtigo River there is a single lane ramp just south of the Rail Road tracks.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

We stayed at the oconto motel. Cheap but bring your own can of lysol. Stunk like packer fans.

Mike I think you brought that Viking stench with you. devil

Captain Live2fish
    Hayfield, MN

Next question to all: Do you need a special registration for my boat which is “current”licensed in MN? Also just a non resident fishing license is the only thing needed to fish in WI? Thanks to all!!! Going to the Oconto to fish in 2 weeks !!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Next question to all: Do you need a special registration for my boat which is “current”licensed in MN?

Nope……your good….

Also just a non resident fishing license is the only thing needed to fish in WI?

That’s all you need…
    Unless you catch a Trout or Salmon and want to keep it…and they are there…then you would need a Great Lakes Salmon stamp $10

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.