NFL General Discussion 2023

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

After watching the results of Various backup QB’s this season, Not only at Minnesota, but other teams as well, I now know why many of them are long time backups. There have been a few who played well, but far less than those who played poorly.

MX1825

Green Bay has a pretty good track record of being a lot more patient with their QB of the future recently. Rodgers sat for several seasons behind Favre, and Love did the same with Rodgers. Its a much better recipe for success. Its just not a model used very much in the modern NFL.
    [/quote]

It used to be the norm to draft, sit, learn, then play at the QB position.
    I think what happened is salaries/contracts got to be BIGGER $$$$$$ and owners wanted to see some return on their investment. Most owners are not patient people.
    Just look at coaches that get fired after 1 or 2 years. Most coaches don’t have the luxury of letting a 1st Rd QB sit on the bench.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

woot devil rotflol

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1704930105042.jpg

Ripjiggen

Green Bay has a pretty good track record of being a lot more patient with their QB of the future recently. Rodgers sat for several seasons behind Favre, and Love did the same with Rodgers. Its a much better recipe for success. Its just not a model used very much in the modern NFL.

It used to be the norm to draft, sit, learn, then play at the QB position.
    I think what happened is salaries/contracts got to be BIGGER $$$$$$ and owners wanted to see some return on their investment. Most owners are not patient people.
    Just look at coaches that get fired after 1 or 2 years. Most coaches don’t have the luxury of letting a 1st Rd QB sit on the bench.
    [/quote]

Most likely if you are picking a QB in the top 10. You don’t have a QB to sit behind and learn from in the first place.
    Rogers and Love were late first round picks.

MX1825

Very true RIP. Also Farve was a 2nd Rd pick that the Packers traded for.
    Also GB doesn’t have big headed prima donna for an owner.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Saturday night game in Kansas City has the potential to be a top 5 coldest game in NFL history. The air temp is projected to be around 0 at kickoff, tumbling to -5 as the evening progresses.

The last playoff game this cold was the January 2016 wild card game between the Seahawks and Vikings at TCF Bank Stadium. The infamous Blair Walsh fail.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t recall an offseason with this many coaches fired, especially some of the best in the league. Belicheck, Carroll (moving to the front office), and Vrabel are all excellent HC’s imo, plus Saban at Alabama. Then Smith in Atlanta, McDaniels in Vegas, Reich in Carolina and Staley for the Chargers. Going to be a crazy offseason at the coaching level too.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The Saturday night game in Kansas City has the potential to be a top 5 coldest game in NFL history.

And it will only broadcast on Peacock. flame moon

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And it will only broadcast on Peacock.

Ya that’s dumb. I won’t be able to watch it either.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^The NFL can keep that model. I’m not jumping streaming platforms constantly to catch each wildcard game. Millions of people will, but it won’t be me.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

^The NFL can keep that model. I’m not jumping streaming platforms constantly to catch each wildcard game. Millions of people will, but it won’t be me.

Same. Peacock is losing their tail (pun intended), so this is a pure money grab. I imagine most sports bars will need to pony up for the commercial subscription too. Whether it’s hundreds of thousands or millions that do subscribe, x $9.99 = a bandaid on the billions they are hemorrhaging.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree it’s dumb. I hate all the streaming services. However that won’t stop me from watching the game. Thats like a couple drinks at the bar. I just make my wife do all the account and password set up lol wink

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Luckily we already have peacock, this will be one of the rare times I will use it.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I agree it’s dumb. I hate all the streaming services. However that won’t stop me from watching the game. Thats like a couple drinks at the bar. I just make my wife do all the account and password set up lol wink

Fair point. I’m going to my neighbors for it, and will likely cost me more in bourbon than just subscribing at home rotflol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bill Belicheck and the Patriots have mutually agreed to part ways after 23 seasons as head coach in New England.

Pete Carroll and the Seahawks did the same yesterday I believe. He was in Seattle for 14 years.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Fair point. I’m going to my neighbors for it, and will likely cost me more in bourbon than just subscribing at home rotflol

Exactly! Lol smile

Should be a fun game to watch. Subzero potential is cold for football man!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Bill Belicheck and the Patriots have mutually agreed to part ways after 23 seasons as head coach in New England.

Pete Carroll and the Seahawks did the same yesterday I believe. He was in Seattle for 14 years.

I don’t believe either of those 2 coaches will have a problem finding a new Head coaching job if they still want to coach.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The Saturday night game in Kansas City has the potential to be a top 5 coldest game in NFL history. The air temp is projected to be around 0 at kickoff, tumbling to -5 as the evening progresses.

The last playoff game this cold was the January 2016 wild card game between the Seahawks and Vikings at TCF Bank Stadium. The infamous Blair Walsh fail.

Cold weather to me places more a factor on the running game. KC’s RB and Linemen seems to be getting healthier at the right time. Pacheco has had full practice all week so far. So has several of their injured linemen. The Dolphins the opposite. Both RB’s and several linemen have been limited in practice. They again who knows have accurate those injury reports are. Regardless I could never bet against KC with Mahomes at QB. He’s had a slightly off season, But its the playoffs and he’s still Mahomes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya I’m not really sold on Miami in those temps, and KC has definitely had trouble scoring this season. I think it will be a low scoring game.

If the Chiefs win, Mahomes will play his first ever road playoff game the following week. Very likely in Buffalo.

B-man

We don’t have Peacock either, but I’m assuming they offer a free trial that could be cancelled immediately after the game?? No??

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If the Chiefs win, Mahomes will play his first ever road playoff game the following week. Very likely in Buffalo.

I’d love to see another KC Buffalo game. those are always great games. I believe Buffalo is the only team that Mahomes has a losing record against.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Don’t know if this applies to anyone, but if you

1) Don’t have Peacock, but are planning on getting it just to watch the playoff game, AND

2) Haven’t seen Yellowstone….

Get signed up, watch the game, and then binge Yellowstone.

CaptainMusky

We don’t have Peacock either, but I’m assuming they offer a free trial that could be cancelled immediately after the game?? No??

I asked someone about this last night and they said they do not have a free trial offer, but you can cancel immediately after and only be charged like $7. No idea if its true or not, we get with some sort of other package.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Even though I have Peacock and its not a issue for me, I hate to see football going this route. I hated when they started putting those Thur. night games on streaming channels. sadly I’m sure we will continue to see more and more of this.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Dolphins / Chiefs game predicted to be -30 below windchill at kickoff. shock

Will be rooting for the fish to cover the 4.5 points in this one. cool

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t recall an offseason with this many coaches fired, especially some of the best in the league. Belicheck, Carroll (moving to the front office), and Vrabel are all excellent HC’s imo, plus Saban at Alabama. Then Smith in Atlanta, McDaniels in Vegas, Reich in Carolina and Staley for the Chargers. Going to be a crazy offseason at the coaching level too.

I forgot to mention Riverboat Ron is gone in Washington as well. That one is going to be an entirely new staff from top to bottom I’d guess with the new ownership group. Bienemy might be the only one retained, if they chose to move him to HC.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

been also reading where there thinking of moving the Bills/Steelers came to Cleveland because of the blizzard expected????/

glenn57
    cold spring mn

just what i read Gim…….couldnt give 2 flying fu……..anyway!!!!!

CaptainMusky

I would love to see a snowglobe style game again!

Viewing 30 posts - 301 through 330 (of 487 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.