New Ram 1500 opinions

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Pretty sure new Fords won’t have any rust issues considering their bodies are now aluminum.

Isn’t it just the box that’s aluminum? Are the fenders and rear exterior panels AL as well?

The 09-14 rot there when the 3rd brake light leaks and water runs down and gets trapped in the lower cab corners. The dealer will actually replace the 3rd brake and/or seal for free if it leaks. I actually took my 3rd brake light off and screwed a UHMW plate I made in it’s place and sealed with silicone (I have a topper).

That must explain all the rotted cab corners then. That must have been some leak, I’m going to start keeping track of trucks I see in parking lots that have rotted cab corners because it seems to be to be a very high percentage. I assume this is now fixed in newer models?

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They all rotted due to the cheap steel they were using. Chevys do it just as bad. I see tons of 2010 to 15 GM vehicles rotted around the wheel wells. But the Dodges seemed especially bad.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Looking at a 2016 Silverado with 25k on it tomorrow actually. If all goes well, will probably pull the trigger. Fords have been 5-8k more for comparable trucks and features in my research.

Anyone have any major issues or red flags?

The wife really liked the 2019 Ram, but the sticker price was getting up there on a loaded model.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looking at a 2016 Silverado with 25k on it tomorrow actually. If all goes well, will probably pull the trigger. Fords have been 5-8k more for comparable trucks and features in my research.

Anyone have any major issues or red

My brother has a 16 silverado with 150xxx on it. No issues to date

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I try to buy all my vehicles used but with less then a few thousand miles. It’s hard to find but is always a big savings

404 ERROR
    MN

The truck my dad traded in for this new dodge was a 2016 Duramax with 170,000+ miles. Nothing but routine maintenance in the 3 years he owned it…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>

Anyone have any major issues or red

My brother has a 16 silverado with 150xxx on it. No issues to date

shock

Wow that’s a ton of miles on a 2.5 year old truck. This is a 2016 with 25k miles. I put 7,900 miles on my current truck last year.

The old truck by the buildings eats a lot of my miles. People have told me to lease with not putting many miles on one vehicle, but haven’t really looked into that.

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Clem wrote:</div>
    Pretty sure new Fords won’t have any rust issues considering their bodies are now aluminum.

Isn’t it just the box that’s aluminum? Are the fenders and rear exterior panels AL as well?

TFG, I am not an expert nor do I own a Ford but from what I understand it is most of the exterior panels are now aluminum, Chevy is now all hinged components on the exterior are aluminum for the new 2019 half tons trucks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

FYI… aluminum corrodes the same as steel. One concern would be where the aluminum components are fastened to the steel frame. If the saltwater were to congregate there, you can probably bet that you’ll have corrosion.

Ford only went to aluminum to lighten the truck so they can increase the payload.

I own one so I’m not just bashing them. I really like my truck and haven’t seen any corrosion issues to speak of in 3+ years.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wow that’s a ton of miles on a 2.5 year old truck. This is a 2016 with 25k miles. I put 7,900 miles on my current truck last year.

The old truck by the buildings eats a lot of my miles. People have told me to lease with not putting many miles on one vehicle, but haven’t really looked into that.
    [/quote]

Yeah my brother drives from north of Pine City to Minneapolis and all over everyday so he racks up the miles but he loves his truck

CaptainMusky

Anyone have any major issues or red flags?

The wife really liked the 2019 Ram, but the sticker price was getting up there on a loaded model.

I am on my 3rd Silverado in the 15, 17 and now 18 generation. Its a great truck, very quiet, nice ride and lots of room. Gas mileage can be amazing and is never disappointing. I have gotten as high as 26.3 on a trip that consisted of driving on straight back country roads. Normal highway you should achieve low 20’s easy, interstate 19’s to 20. Town is around 17 based on how I drive.
    The 6spd tranny does take some getting used to at least in my experience with all 3 trucks. It is an adaptive transmission so it tailors itself to your driving style and at times the calibration seems off if you are driving around 40, slow down and then speed up again. It cannot figure out what it should do sometimes, but that may be how I press the pedal or something because I tend to ease into vs mash on it.
    There are no shifting concerns, always firm and solid and almost imperceptible if you weren’t watching the tach.
    Somethings the tow/haul can be a little aggressive when stepping on the brakes hard with a trailer. My boat has surge brakes and I actually locked up the tires on the trailer once because I had to brake hard and the tranny shifted up at the same time. Only once did that happen, but it was a bit of a pucker moment. LOL

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

So, I went to a 2005 to a 2016 quad cab at the end of the model year. Both had the 5.7. I loved my 2005 as it ran great and got rid of it with 186xxx miles. Never had a major problem but did have the rusty rear wheel wells.

The 2016 is a bit different animal. I hate the Goodyear tires and will be changing them to Hankook Dynapro’s before next winter. The Goodyears are more of a road tire and not very aggressive, but this is just a minor detail. The cab was reconfigured and has a smaller rear seat and the front bucket seats may be a bit tight for a larger stature person I feel. I’m only 5’10” and 200 and feel just a bit claustrophobic, but was not a deal breaker. The ground clearance was greatly reduced compared to the 2005 and have caught the front bumper on field entrances when pheasant hunting, but all trucks are like this now. The uconnect is cool, but I don’t pay for it so it’s not used. I think the Ford and Chevy versions are free. Mileage is way better with this truck.

Overall it’s a pretty truck and am satisfied.

404 ERROR
    MN

The ground clearance was greatly reduced compared to the 2005

Mileage is way better with this truck.

Removing your lower air dam will give you the ground clearance you lost, but it will drop your MPG by a noticeable level. Mine removed itself one day…

B-man

I looked that the new style 1500 this spring. They are sweet!

I believe they have the biggest cab over Ford and Chevy. So if it’s interior room you want….you get it with the Ram.

A Hemi and 8 speed transmission is an awesome combination. The Eco-diesels are nice too (I owned one for a few years).

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Mine removed itself one day…

All by itself????? Bet there was some driver involvement. devil wave

404 ERROR
    MN

All by itself????? Bet there was some driver involvement.

You act like you’ve seen me offroad my rig on the lake… shock

gonefishin

I have been a long time owner of Dodge Rams for over 30 years and keep my trucks until they start to rust. Overall they have all been great from mechanical perspective. Rust is a concern but over the years I have kept coming back to Dodge because of the great mechanical luck I have experienced. My last three Dodge trucks, 2002, 2008, and 2016. I dumped the 2002 when rust appeared on the tail gate where the outside metal is rolled around to the inside edge. When looking for a replacement I noticed on the 2008 that this area had been sealed and decided to take another chance. Same thing happened but also along the door bottoms. When looking for replacement in 2016 noticed that there was now a new seal along the tail gate and also along the doors. Test drove Fords but not impressed and went back to another Dodge. Two years in and the seal along the tail gate failed and had to be redone and now the seal along one of the door bottoms has also failed and will be fixed next week.

For all you newer Dodge owners I would check this seal because in my case the seal came loose and thus salt/etc. gets behind the seal.

Just FYI, I don’t think anyone cleans their truck more than I do. After every snow I basically wash and completely wipe each of these known rust locations. So while I love my 2016 as a great overall vehicle I am again very disappointed in potential for rust.

Aaron Kalberer

I am on my 3rd Silverado in the 15, 17 and now 18 generation. Its a great truck, very quiet, nice ride and lots of room. Gas mileage can be amazing and is never disappointing. I have gotten as high as 26.3 on a trip that consisted of driving on straight back country roads. Normal highway you should achieve low 20’s easy, interstate 19’s to 20. Town is around 17 based on how I drive.
    The 6spd tranny does take some getting used to at least in my experience with all 3 trucks. It is an adaptive transmission so it tailors itself to your driving style and at times the calibration seems off if you are driving around 40, slow down and then speed up again. It cannot figure out what it should do sometimes, but that may be how I press the pedal or something because I tend to ease into vs mash on it.
    There are no shifting concerns, always firm and solid and almost imperceptible if you weren’t watching the tach.
    Somethings the tow/haul can be a little aggressive when stepping on the brakes hard with a trailer. My boat has surge brakes and I actually locked up the tires on the trailer once because I had to brake hard and the tranny shifted up at the same time. Only once did that happen, but it was a bit of a pucker moment. LOL

The down shift when hitting the brakes hard with tow haul on is the trans brake. It will help you slow down if the TCM thinks you need help slowing down. It is to save wear and tear on your brakes but I could see it posing an issue with anything with surge brakes.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    terrible dodge rot
    I keep waiting for signs my ’14 Dodge

Honest question, have the huge rust issues REALLY been resolved for Dodge and Ford?

My father’s 2007 GMC has not a spot of rust on it, where I routinely see Fords and Dodge trucks that are 4-5+ years newer that are rusting all to hell. There seems to be a generation of Fords out there that rust very badly where the cab ends and the box starts.

And of course Dodge has the “Dodge Rot” in the usual places as well.

Has any of this honestly been fixed? To me it’s a total sign of bad design and quality to be producing trucks in 201X years that are rusting all hell after 5-6 years. Are Ford and Dodge still stuck in 1977 on this rust issue or have they figured it out?

Grouse

I am not sure why anyone is having rust issues. I traded in an ’05 Ford 18 months ago and it looked like new. Not a speck of rust on it.

John Timm

Captain musky, Why so many Chevy trucks in so little time?

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

Looking at the new ram trucks. Wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it? Any likes or dislikes? Thanks

Word of caution the air suspension as nice of an option it is, it is expensive to repair at approx $1500 every time it gets way below 0 as components in this system freeze up.

catmando
    wis

I have a 2012 super cab f150 with 45,000 I was offered 16,500 on a new ford, going to do some other looking, Ram, then Chev

Smackem33

My 05 ram 5.7 going good with 220000, lil front end work, starter, fuel pump. Do the maintenance that’s required no problems, need to do plugs and wires again probably…. waiting to upgrade to a 14, 2015, for about 20k with 30k miles, see I’m on craigslist all the time that’s the exact price I bought mine in 2007

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Wife’s vehicle is a 2014 ram 5.7. Love the truck. If considering a ram call Andy at Chrysler Winona. Nicest guy in the game.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a 2012 super cab f150 with 45,000 I was offered 16,500 on a new ford, going to do some other looking, Ram, then Chev

Deffinatley dont look past the ram. I never was a dodge guy till I got the deal on this one. It really is a impressive truck.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I was a Dodge guy but am now driving a 14’ F150.

My biggest complaint with the new Dodges is the cab space. I am 6’4” and the Dodge cab is significantly smaller/tighter than the F150. I wanted a sunroof and with the Dodge with sunroof my hair would actually touch the ceiling with the seat all the way down. Same thing if I had a hat on. That doesn’t happen with the non-sunroof, but the cabs are tighter all around.

My dad has a 16’ Ram 1500 and it’s a nice truck, just a little too tight for my liking. The newer tranny (8 speed?) is nice, and he gets good mileage. I have not sat in a 19’, so not sure if anything had changed.

CaptainMusky

Captain musky, Why so many Chevy trucks in so little time?

I like new car smell. Plus with incentives I actually get each one cheaper than the last. I strategically look at incentives ansd specific vehicles that have been on the lot get tagged with bigger discounts. My current truck was 15k off sticker, plus I got 0% financing.
    I put on 20k per year and if I drive them too long resale drops so I trade often. Not one issue with any of the trucks.

John Timm

I put on 20k per year and if I drive them too long resale drops so I trade often. Not one issue with any of the trucks.

I would hope you would not have any problems, the trucks haven’t any time on them.

carver
    West Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>snelson223 wrote:</div>
    Looking at the new ram trucks. Wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it? Any likes or dislikes? Thanks

Word of caution the air suspension as nice of an option it is, it is expensive to repair at approx $1500 every time it gets way below 0 as components in this system freeze up.

Steve, can you elaborate on this? A system on a truck that fails at 0 deg and is $1500 every time? Seems like this last couple weeks it would end up being a money pit.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.