New Ice Fishing Boots

• James Dammann

In the market to replace my 10 year old winter boots. Looking for recommendations on what’s everyone wearing these days. Thanks!

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Depending on your budget I would go Baffin Apex. They are by far the best boot I’ve ever owned. They are pricey though at around 290. I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Lacrosse Alphaburly as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

There’s a couple threads that discuss this more an in-depth than you may need…I like my Red Wing Irish Setters Rubber boots 1200g

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I use Muck Arctic Pro. They’re my third set of ice fishing boots and by far the warmest. They’re entirely waterproof also. On the flip side, they’re a bit heavy and go almost up to my knees.

I was able to score a pair on sale online for a little over $100.

Regardless of whatever boots you select, liner socks should be purchased as well. Foot sweat is the number one cause of cold feet on the ice, in my experience.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Baffin titans, I found mine for 75. Go up a size.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I wear bogs classic high mossy oak.

Very similar to Muck Arctic Pro, which i have owned.

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I have always had cold feet even with liner socks until I tried Infernos, they kept my feet toasty, downside they weighed a little heavy, then I heard about Baffins, super almost too hot but they too weighed a ton and I barely could get my bibs around them.
    I now have tried Korkers Polar Vortex 1200’s, these are the cats meow for me, warm as the Infernos and with the changeable soles (cleats to non-cleats) I can use them whenever the need arises…
    They are light and fit my bibs great, This past weekend I was “on” the ice for 7-8 hours and my feet stayed warm…

Mike S.

I have Baffin Apex on order. Have friends that have Baffin Impacts and love them. Originally ordered the Impacts but they are on backorder until June so I went with the Apex instead. Definitely go one size up if you go with Baffins.

shockers
    Rochester

I really like the Muck Arctic Ice – most of the time. They’re relatively warm, though not super warm when it’s near or below 0. At least for me. But the best thing about them is they’re lighter than my giant LaCrosse Ice Kings, which are warm but heavy. Also, the waterproof nature of Mucks are really great.

Other posters comments about good socks are spot on, too.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Baffin Apex – Shoes.com usually has some sort of sale going on. Currently they have 25% off using code RESOLVE19.

I was able to buy mine for about 130ish.

Best pair of boots I have owned so far.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I went with a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Thermals with my most recent boot purchase as I found them for $50 off at Scheels. It’s early, but So far they’ve been great on the ice and in muddy backwater areas where I’ve broken through into 6″ of water making my way onto the ice. I’ve also heard good things about the Alphaburly Pro by Lacrosse.

The Irish Setters that I did use for ice fishing were falling apart at just 2 years old. They didn’t seem to hold up like older versions. I do have a pair of Mucks as well (forget which model). The Mucks are more of a Fall boot for me and don’t seem to keep my feet quite as warm. The tops of my Mucks are also less rigid than the Lacrosse ones. I’m not sure whether that’s a pro or a con, just an observation.

Attachments:
    1. alphab.jpg

2. alpha.jpg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I also recommend the muck arctic pros. Breathable sock under a wool sock and my feet never get cold.

tswoboda

I’ll be “that guy” who says Mickey Boots. I’ve been trying to ditch mine for 5 years and always on the look for new boots but just can’t do it. They just do everything you could ask for in an ice fishing boot with absolute zero maintenance and at about half the price of every other option.

I’m sure there’s better boots out there but every pair I’ve looked at has something that annoys me when compared to Mickeys. Mickeys are just so simple and durable but still perform in the harshest conditions of ice fishing.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Baffin impacts or muck arctics.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

I have kamik alborgs that I scored off amazon during the summer for $70….actually any of the boots listed in this post can be bought for 25-75% off during summer sales online, especially amazon.

heavyraidersfan

Have to second the cabelas infernos. I am on my second pair and love them, usually wear nothing more than light everyday socks with them. Don’t need anything else.

Fishman769

Love my muck arctic boots. Very warm and water proof. Just watch online they go on sale often

skfishing16

I’ve had Baffins for years and really like them. No laces and very warm.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Baffin Apex – Shoes.com usually has some sort of sale going on. Currently they have 25% off using code RESOLVE19.

I’m taking advantage of this.

I’m going on 15 years on my old Baffins that are probably a previous version of the Apex model. They are now very leaky but were very solid and extremely warm for 10+ years. Couldn’t be happier.

Shaun A

I’ll be “that guy” who says Mickey Boots. I’ve been trying to ditch mine for 5 years and always on the look for new boots but just can’t do it. They just do everything you could ask for in an <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing boot with absolute zero maintenance and at about half the price of every other option.

I’m sure there’s better boots out there but every pair I’ve looked at has something that annoys me when compared to Mickeys. Mickeys are just so simple and durable but still perform in the harshest conditions of ice fishing.

They are the best! Bunny boot may look funny but dam warm

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ll be “that guy” who says Mickey Boots. I’ve been trying to ditch mine for 5 years and always on the look for new boots but just can’t do it. They just do everything you could ask for in an <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing boot with absolute zero maintenance and at about half the price of every other option.

AMEN BROTHER!

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I really like my lacrosse ice kings, on 4th year after my old icemens wore out, very warm and comfortable and lighter than my old ones

riverruns
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

AMEN BROTHER!

Nothing Better!!

If you need designer boots, go with something other than white bunny boots.

Cold weather the White Bunny boots will be the best. Only because I wear them and haven’t tried anything else in 20 years. never had the need to try anything else.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jakob wrote:</div>

I’m taking advantage of this.

I’m going on 15 years on my old Baffins that are probably a previous version of the Apex model. They are now very leaky but were very solid and extremely warm for 10+ years. Couldn’t be happier.

I wanted too but everything I read says buy one size up. I wear a 13 normally and that is as large as they go. Ok, no problem, I’ll get the Korker Polar Vortex 1200. Nope. Sale does not apply to them. flame

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Went ahead and ordered the Apex sz 13 anyway. A couple of reviews say that liner breaks in pretty quick and fit great. Here’s hoping…

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Nothing Better!!

If you need designer boots, go with something other than white bunny boots.

A little more to that but There’s no doubt mickeys are the best boot for the bang. My first pair lasted well over 15 years and worked great. What they lack is comfort and grip. For those two reason, I went a different direction.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Tall socks and Crampons and you’re GTG! waytogo

Ever watch those Alaskan survival shows? That’s all they wear.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Bought my Apex today!

John Kennedy

Korkers Polar Vortex 1200’s

Those Korkers look pretty cool. I have Mickeys and my feet get cold. I have Ice Kings and they keep my feet toasty but are definitely bulky. I also have Klim Adrenaline for snowmobiling and they seem to do well albeit far too stiff to walk.

Curious how you would compare the Korkers to the Ice kings in terms of warmth?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.