Monday Pool 3

• Ron S

Headed out late morning from Hastings it was overcast. Plan was to troll rip rap, drag draggin jig and crawler, anchor above wing dams, run and gun wing dams, drag jigs in back channels etc. Did all this and everything else I could think of. I kept this up till 6:00 P.M. I did this till I was have half way down to T I. I managed to loose a couple crawlers on the draggin jig with my new super semsitive St Croix rod w 1/4 oz pitching wing dams and NEVER FELT THEM.

Two good things did happen. My new Water Spike Anchor was fantastic. The other thing was my favorite rod some how got pulled out of the rod holder. Thank God for heavy spoons as I managed to get it back no fish or snag on it and the lure was gone go figure.

Other than throwing a hoop net I’m out of ideas. I only saw to surface swirls. No White bass, sheppies nothing. Is there that much forage that everything is lounging around like serangetti lions and digesting ?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was on P3 one evening last week. All we fished was shore structure and caught a fair number of smallies. Nothing very big. One nice sheep.

shockers
    Rochester

I was out on Pool 4 a few days before you were on Pool 3 and it was the same story. One small crappie and one sheep. Frustrating.

Water was much muddier than I anticipated. Was it still pretty muddy on Pool 3?

Ron S

Not too muddy but better after the confluence at Prescott. Some debris in the water mostly leaves. Water temp when I was paying attention low 70’s and cooler than the steam bath I was in, especially after the clouds thinned out.

Still trying to figure out what I should have tried differently. Maybe blade baits in the vortex behind the wing dams.

The side imaging showed a lot of trees / branches in the side channels. Did notice some fish in that but the current prevented me from dropping a bobber rig in that stuff. That is also where I lost the rod and diverted my attention to gear retrieval LOL

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

next time try trolling the front side of the wing dams, a little tricky but with a little practice it can be productive

Ron S

Thanks I will give that a try. The last time I tried that I dinged uo a prop. Monday I noticed a lot of current lift and it angled out to the w d tip. Not sure I will have much depth cobtrol. Any suggestions what to drag if I want to work the front base of the wing dam ?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

@muskychaser

Perhaps he can give you some tips on what he’s been catching them on.

Was probably going to put in an order myself at some point soon here for the fall bite as well.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

I haven’t been out in a week, but if you have noticed there are a lot of shiner minnows on the upside of the dams, the 3 inch mini flukes I pour are the perfect match I have been using a smoke glitter with a white jig head, and been jerking these back to the boat. this method has been producing all different species of fish. Even caught some channel cats doing this. early morning and last light has been best. I have tried dragging crawlers and it has work but not enough to keep my interest. Tube jigs pitched on the Rock riprap has produced Smallies and even a couple walleyes. Good luck

boone
    Woodbury, MN

</The last time I tried that I dinged uo a prop. >

I set the shallow alarm on my depth finder to 4 feet which saves quite a few prop dings. At four feet, I have time to change my course or at least kick the motor out of gear and trim it up. There’s quite a few wing dams on Pool 3 that can be hit when the water level is at normal elevation.

Good Luck,

Bone

Ron S

Thanks all few more good tips. Going to hide from the heat next couple days. Then will try again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.