MN Boys HS hockey – postseason

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Tell you what, most of these players need haircuts badly.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Cant wait for the start today. Heading down to the games then McGoverns between hot turkey plate is calling already. Should be a great day of games

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I thought Cathedral put up a good fight through 2 periods and did a pretty good job of preventing quality scoring chances as best they could. Their goalie certainly kept them in the game. Hoping for some competitive class A semifinal games tomorrow. Hermantown is beatable, although I think the northern juggernauts will prevail. Not sure who to root for in AA.

AK Guy

Not a fan of the kids who grow their hair to try to make the All Hair Team. But, I truly appreciate the kid whose hair is a way of life. Usually out state kids.

CaptainMusky

Heading down to the games then McGoverns between hot turkey plate is calling already.

McGoverns is so underrated.

Gitchi Gummi

I really was hoping Northfield would pull it off last night but Orono was clearly the better team. Northfield’s goalie is the real deal tho. I wish they won so we could see him make 80 saves against Warroad.

Mark Parrish and his man love for Orono can shut up anytime now. We get it, you used to coach for them and are a huge homer. But if there’s ever a scenario where play by play announcers should be neutral, it’s high school sports.

Looking forward to AA play today. It’s always crazy how much faster the game is in AA after you spend a full day watching A.

CaptainMusky

Looking forward to AA play today. It’s always crazy how much faster the game is in AA after you spend a full day watching A.

IDK that Warroad team is awfully dang good. I still cannot believe that Sartell tied them. Theyre normally terrible. When they actually have some really skilled players they leave for somewhere else. One of the best girls left two years ago and was on the Andover state champ team, Warren a boy left a few years ago for somewhere in the cities I think Minnetonka.

Gitchi Gummi

You’re right Capt’n. Warroad (and Hermantown) are good enough to play AA. The rest of the A field is notably not as polished as AA.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

IDK that Warroad team is awfully dang good.

Jayson Shaugabay tallies 4 points with 1G/3A and he wasn’t even the best Warroad player on the ice yesterday because Carson Pilgrim tallied a hat trick. Unbelievable firepower on the Warroad team.

You’re right Capt’n. Warroad (and Hermantown) are good enough to play AA.

Is it time for automatic promotion to AA in MN when a team like Hermantown goes to state in A 13 times in the last 14 years? Discuss. devil

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t get why people are opposed to good teams in A too. Warroad-HTown should be a great final and if Matho or Orono pulls an upset, even better. I think we need to apply the State Tourney Hierarchy to A/AA assignments, if student enrollment is low enough for A and you’re in the outstate no need to move up, if you’re in the Metro you can opt to move up and if you are Private you should have to move up, and Edina is already AA. jester

CaptainMusky

I dont have much problem with teams like Warroad and Hermantown being in A, but any private school should not be in A. I do wish they would have a true championship game putting the champs from A and AA against each other. THat would be sweet!

Gitchi Gummi

As a former Hermantown grad and someone who played 3 years on their hockey team, I go against the hometown grain in saying they should be in AA. Everyone in Hermantown is drinking the single A koolaid and sees nothing wrong with the guaranteed March trip to St Paul.

Back in the day, they were a true A program. That was back when youth hockey didn’t have AA and A, it was all just one single class. Fast forward to now and youth hockey is split AA and A where Hermantown plays AA. Not to mention they play a AA regular season schedule and usually play somewhere around 5 of the top 10 AA teams in the state.

Sure, they can play by the rules and play A and keep whooping up on teams. But in my opinion, they’re doing the kids a disservice. They’ve had a couple teams the last few years that could have won the AA championship, and now we will never know. Its a darn shame if you ask me. Iron sharpens iron. If you are one of the best teams in the entire state (AA or A), don’t you want to go up against the best? Random fact – there has only been 2 single A teams that scored more than 1 goal against Hermantown this year. Is it even fun when almost every single A opponent game goes into running time and you’re essentially just waiting for the state championship game every year?

What Hermantown’s done is made a mockery out of section 7A. This year Denfeld and Rock Ridge announced they’re opting up to AA. They have a better shot at getting to state in section 7AA than they do in 7A which is crazy since both programs are mediocre.

AK Guy

The pace of the Maple Grove/Cretin game is so much faster than any game yesterday.

Gitchi Gummi

The pace of the Maple Grove/Cretin game is so much faster than any game yesterday.

It’s wild, isn’t it? Not even in the same ballpark.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I do wish they would have a true championship game putting the champs from A and AA against each other.

The AA team would win that matchup 9 out of 10 times. Only once in a rare case could the A team compete and/or win against the juggernaut AA teams. In this case, Warroad could probably do it given that they played several ranked AA teams this season and beat them. Most years, no chance.

I don’t have a problem with a team like Hermantown remaining in class A. My advice to their competition: get better. Same advice applies to the non-metro class AA teams lately. Get better.

Maple Grove needs to wake up here. A Cretin DH win would be a pretty sizable upset.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I dont have much problem with teams like Warroad and Hermantown being in A, but any private school should not be in A.

Okay, so you don’t have a problem with Hermantown sitting in A and going to state 13 out of 14 years.

But schools like Rochester Lourdes with an enrollment of 350 and St. Cloud Cathedral, winner of exactly 1 championship in its history and with a HS enrollment of less than 400 should automatically have to play in AA?

What exactly are the advantages that these private schools have that Hermantown with a HS enrollment of almost 700 doesn’t have? Or are you still stuck in the “they can recruit” era that ended circa 1990?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

they’ve been doing that hair thing for a long time. Let them have some fun

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

they’ve been doing that hair thing for a long time. Let them have some fun

Their hair is literally slowing some of them down. Too much drag.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Their hair is literally slowing some of them down. Too much drag.

The swimmer Mark Spitz, who rocked a totally awesome mustache all the way to 7 gold medals in 1972, had the Soviet Union swimmers and coaches convinced that the lip caterpillar created a hydrodynamic advantage.

At the next world championships, suddenly a bunch of USSR and eastern bloc swimmers showed up with newly minted epic mustaches of their own.

Maybe the kids are onto something and The Flow is what makes them go?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice freaking shot by the Spuds player there! Top shelf

CaptainMusky

THis Moorhead Edina game is kinda bonkers.

CaptainMusky

It was funny before the game they were saying this would be a low scoring game. LOL 6-5 now.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Dang they said that the Edine goalie is 6 ft 5 inches tall. doah

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Glenn, I heard 6’7″.
    I bet the pucker factor on Curt Giles was quite high going into OT.
    The look on his face after the winning goal was him releasing the pucker!! moon

CaptainMusky

Glenn, I heard 6’7″.
    I bet the pucker factor on Curt Giles was quite high going into OT.
    The look on his face after the winning goal was him releasing the pucker!! moon

Yeah I heard 6’7″ too. Big goalie and he’s very athletic.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea I might’ve hit the wrong number there, my bad

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

HM over Tonka would be a massive upset. Minnetonka is riding a 17 game unbeaten streak. The skippers are skating circles around them. HM’s goalie is in the zone.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

HM over Tonka would be a massive upset. Minnetonka is riding a 17 game unbeaten streak. The skippers are skating circles around them. HM’s goalie is in the zone.

HM are just tough as nails. Just killed a late penalty. Goalie totally standing on his head.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 217 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.