MN Boys HS hockey – postseason

• deertracker
    Participant

West Metro Regional All-Stars… rotflol
    DT

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

Warroad senior Jayson Shaugabay won Minnesota Mr Hockey today. Shaugabay, a Minnesota Duluth recruit, tallied 96 points this season for the Warriors.

BigWerm
    Participant
    SW Metro

I have a buddy that runs a for fun tourney bracket, and does extensive write ups after each round. Here’s some fun facts:

CDH was the only unseeded team to advance out of the first round, either class
    All (4) games from Thursday, AA quarters, were tied 1-1 after 1.

The two most southern teams attending this years state tournament, Luverne and Northfield, were the first two teams sent home. Is there a correlation with them being from the south? Regardless, 0-2 BBQ. Better luck next year.

Since 1974, the longest span the HM Pioneers went without a visit to St. Paul is 3 years! 49 years and their longest absence has been 3 years. Wild! Furthermore, by record, this years team is the 3rd worst team in program history. One of the worst teams in program history and they took the #1 seed to the limit. Rich history.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Anyone remember George Pelawa?

Yes, I remember him. He was unforgettable.

I was at the tournament in 1986 when Bemidji and Pelawa were there.

He was absolutely a man amongst boys. I believe he was listed at 6 foot 3, 220 pounds and he looked every inch and pound of it. It was hard to believe your eyes, you just didn’t see the combination of size, speed, puck-handling, and a heavy shot back then the way Pelawa brought it. Everybody was there to watch Pelawa.

I was sitting about 5 rows behind the benches at the old St. Paul Civic Center and I remember at one point in the first game, Pelawa just absolutely crushed a little winger from Hibbing. It was a totally legal hit, not from behind, not late, not dirty, he just checked him. But it was like an NHL player checking a high school freshman. It was 220 pounds of fast moving train checking 130 pounds.

Well the kid crumpled to the ice and those crappy Civic Center plexiboards were waving back and forth like they were goint to snap off. There was a delay and then the ref put up his hand and gave Pelawa a minor penalty.

There was some yelling from the Bemidji bench on that one, I can tell you. It was clearly a “you hit him too hard” penalty. I always wondered what the ref said that one was actually for because nobody could figure out what he did, except that he just freaking crushed him.

I felt absolutely terrible for the Pelawa family when George died. Just an awful tragedy.

Gitchi Gummi
    Participant

Warroad senior Jayson Shaugabay won Minnesota Mr Hockey today. Shaugabay, a Minnesota Duluth recruit, tallied 96 points this season for the Warriors.

What’s pretty interesting is Hampton Slukynsky (warroad goalie) also won the Frank Brimsek award. I don’t think thats ever happened before where the Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek award winners were on the same team.

gimruis
    Participant
    Plymouth, MN

What’s pretty interesting is Hampton Slukynsky (warroad goalie) also won the Frank Brimsek award. I don’t think thats ever happened before where the Mr. Hockey and Frank Brimsek award winners were on the same team.

Oh nice, didn’t know that.

gregory
    Participant
    Red wing,mn

Thanks for sharing the pelawa story, I just looked it up and read some writes up about him what sad deal there! Died 3 months after signing with the flames! Nicknamed the gentle giant! Boy I would have liked to watched him play!

Viewing 7 posts - 211 through 217 (of 217 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.