Minnesota Vikings 2019 Season Thread

• Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

If Green Bay wins today , it will be interesting to see what they do different since first encounter with THE 49,ers ! Never thought Green Bay would have made it to the playoffs the way they played this year !

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Could be worse. You could be a Ravens fan this morning after going 14-2 and failing to win a single home playoff game.

big_g
    Isle, MN

We always have our 1969 Championship. Can’t deny it.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

The Vikings are so predictable and so conservative with the play calling and that falls on the coaches, mainly Zimmer.

When the other team stacks the box, because they know you are running and you still run into the wall that is play calling

Yesterday was a perfect example where they needed to pass to set up the run…. and they didn’t

Like I said earlier, the 49ers have an excellent D, and likely the better overall team. However they are beatable and basically the Vikings did nothing to try and win the game. The whole scheme and plan sucked

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Could be worse. You could be a Ravens fan this morning after going 14-2 and failing to win a single home playoff game.

Or lest we forget 1969 season doah KC SB IV
    Or lest we forget 1973 season doah Miami SB VIII
    Or lest we forget 1974 season doah Steelers SB IX
    Or lest we forget 1975 season doah the Birth of the hail mary
    Or lest we forget 1976 season doah Raiders SB XII
    Or lest we forget 1984 season doah Les stechel doah doah doah doah
    Or lest we forget 1998 season doah
    Or lest we forget 2000 season doah lost 41-0 NFC to giants
    Or lest we forget 2009 season doah Farve

AND the best line in Vikings history? Well; there alwyas next season !

coffee

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

What position groups do the Vikings have that were measurably better, or even equal to that of San Francisco in terms of talent?

-Oline? (not even comparable)
    -Dline? (not even comparable)
    -TE? (nope)
    -Special Teams? (nope)
    -Secondary? (nope)
    -QB? (even?)
    -LBs? (even)
    -WRs? (Sure, but only when Diggs isn’t throwing a fit)

The 49ers are and were the better team. They’re a better team than the Packers too. Sometimes depth and talent can be overcome by coaching or gameplanning, but it’s definitely not the norm. I don’t think there’s a coach in the league that takes the same roster of guys Zimmer and his staff had into San Francisco in the playoffs this season and fares much better.

The better team doesn’t always win, but yesterday they did and trying to pass out blame is like pi$$ing into the wind.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

OMG!!!! rotflol rotflol rotflol
    I don’t even care how the Pack does now rotflol rotflol …but yeah I do waytogo

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Oline? (not even comparable)
    -Dline? (not even comparable)
    -TE? (nope)
    -Special Teams? (nope)
    -Secondary? (nope)
    -QB? (even?)
    -LBs? (even)
    -WRs? (Sure, but only when Diggs isn’t throwing a fit)

Coaching?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

OMG!!!! rotflol rotflol rotflol
    I don’t even care how the Pack does now rotflol rotflol …but yeah I do waytogo

X 2 go Wilson

Or lest we forget 2014 NFC Championship game doah

Beast

Not sure how your team is set for salary cap, I know Zimmer and quit Cousin are signed through 2020, with your QB taking a big bite out of that cap.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Vikings quarterback and cap numbers are fine.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Cousins money is guaranteed for 2020.
    With current contracts they are about 10 million OVER the cap.
    Griffen, Rhodes, Rieff, Harris, among others all are big hits for 2020 so lots of contracts to get cut or reworked has to happen.

Beast

so much for fine…….

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Whats it matter to you anyway? Worry about your Packers.

Beast

Whats it matter to you anyway? Worry about your Packers.

Just giving you a look into the future. whistling

glenn57
    cold spring mn

They need to keep Griffen and Harris, the other 2 can go bye bye.

papaperch

As a Browns fan I have to assume your OC now our HC is as smart as a brick. I have to question anyone’s intelligence. That would even consider working for Glorious Leader Haslam .

Every year I keep hoping to hear he sold the Browns. Until then any hope in Cleveland Browns will remain just that hope.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

so much for fine…….

like Dutch says…..watch your own bobber.
    I have no idea who is calling the D in Tennessee but that guy has received little attention but should. the Pack has a good chance against SF but I thought the Vikes had a shot?

PS thank you black hole Browns for hiring our over matched playcaller. I honestly have no clue how he got that gig other than the other candidates declined the job?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Now George Edwards is gone, couldn’t agree a new contract.
    Things change quickly!

lindyrig79

PS thank you black hole Browns for hiring our over matched playcaller. I honestly have no clue how he got that gig other than the other candidates declined the job?

Do you ever think about how much Zimmer controls our OC? I respect the guy but his old school ways need some updating and he certainly needs to improve on in-game adjustments. When was the last time you saw the Vikings regroup and get a comeback win?? Good teams can do this but the Vikings don’t. They either need to get the lead and desperately hang on for the win or they lose. (and usually lose badly)

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

Do you ever think about how much Zimmer controls our OC? I respect the guy but his old school ways need some updating and he certainly needs to improve on in-game adjustments. When was the last time you saw the Vikings regroup and get a comeback win?? Good teams can do this but the Vikings don’t. They either need to get the lead and desperately hang on for the win or they lose. (and usually lose badly)

November 17, 2019 vs Denver. Down 20-0 at halftime, won 27-23.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Stefanski interviewing with CLE last week hurt, and the NFL has to change that rule. You can’t tell me that a few hours interviewing on Thursday, plus preparing for it on the days leading up, plus having your mind on it, did not affect the game. That is more time thinking about the CLE Browns and less time thinking about SF 3rd and long blitz tendencies, 1st down tendencies, personel packages, scripting your own teams scenarios, etc. Long list of things that were not the #1 priority and probably didn’t get as much attention to detail. With the hiring announced Sunday morning, you also can’t tell me that Stefanski didn’t know during the game Saturday that he was already going to CLE next year. All of those things put him in a different place mentally than he should have been. Would we have won the game if everything I mentioned was different? Probably not, but at least we maybe would have been competitive and had more than 7 1st downs.

I do think you restructure Cousins to the long term this off-season, move some of his cap hit from 2020 to future deals. His current deal pays him $28 million/year for 3 years – his new deal will probably give him about $33 million/year for 5 years (1 year restructure plus 4 new years). Probably somewhere around $100 million of that guaranteed. Just my guess and what I would be comfortable with paying him, and quite frankly that is all based on the going rate of a QB these days.

Everson Griffen will probably not be back, and that option is up to him or the team- he can opt out of his contract. Why pay him $12 million when you can sign free agent Stephen Weatherly for probably $2 million or Ifeadi Odenigbo for probably $850,000.

Resigning Anthony Harris and Trae Waynes are probably the 2 most important (big) signings MN has to make this off season. Rhodes, Reiff, Griffen, Linval will all be possible losses to make that happen.

What scares me the most about the Vikings future is most teams get about a 3 year window to be great (by great I mean, top 8ish team in the league – get there and have some luck and you can win it all). IMO we are in year 3 of that window and our roster is not getting younger or cheaper. It is in the final year(s) of being all in before a rebuild will take place. I expect the Vikings to have some below .500 seasons around 2022-2024. Happens to almost every great team except the Patriots. Look at the Saints after their 2009 Super Bowl, Seahawks after their early 2010 success, then the Broncos after theirs.

AnotherFisherman

Stefanski interviewing with CLE last week hurt, and the NFL has to change that rule. You can’t tell me that a few hours interviewing on Thursday, plus preparing for it on the days leading up, plus having your mind on it, did not affect the game. That is more time thinking about the CLE Browns and less time thinking about SF 3rd and long blitz tendencies, 1st down tendencies, personel packages, scripting your own teams scenarios, etc. Long list of things that were not the #1 priority and probably didn’t get as much attention to detail. With the hiring announced Sunday morning, you also can’t tell me that Stefanski didn’t know during the game Saturday that he was already going to CLE next year. All of those things put him in a different place mentally than he should have been. Would we have won the game if everything I mentioned was different? Probably not, but at least we maybe would have been competitive and had more than 7 1st downs.

I believe SF’s Defensive Coordinator also interviewed for the position? Not sure on the timing on when he interviewed, but their defense was fine. I think it is just Stefanski being a poor play caller.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

At least the Vikings set an nfl record Saturday with the most playoff losses, 30 and climbing

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

November 17, 2019 vs Denver. Down 20-0 at halftime, won 27-23.

Once in how many years?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I believe SF’s Defensive Coordinator also interviewed for the position? Not sure on the timing on when he interviewed, but their defense was fine. I think it is just Stefanski being a poor play caller.

He interviewed with them on January 4, Stefanski interviewed on January 9. 49ers also had 13 days between games. The Vikings had 6 days. They returned from New Orleans late Sunday evening and flew to SF Friday morning. A quick turnaround of a week to fit in a lot of stuff between game prep and interview prep. Shouldn’t be an excuse for either side, but it felt like it affected it from MN’s perspective. Still not saying MN was the better team, but they are better than what they showed.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

At least the Vikings set an nfl record Saturday with the most playoff losses, 30 and climbing

I believe they also set or tied the NFL record for the least 1st downs in a playoff game as well. Unless they got a few garbage ones right at the end of the game.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

how many other teams have even played in at least 30 playoff games?

Just asking cause that would be interesting to know.

lindyrig79

I agree Stefanski should not have been allowed to interview two days before the biggest game of his career. Ridiculous.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

how many other teams have even played in at least 30 playoff games?

Just asking cause that would be interesting to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_all-time_NFL_win%E2%80%93loss_records

Vikings are 21-30 in postseason play. The 51 games ranks tied for 5th most played. The 21 wins ranks for 12th most won. The 30 losses ranks for the most lost.
    *I did not look close enough to see if those numbers are updated for this post season or not.

And to speak regular season, the Vikings have the 7th highest win percentage of all time. Certainly not a bad organization at all, just haven’t gotten the bounces to go their way in the post season.

Viewing 30 posts - 601 through 630 (of 664 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.