Metro Ice Thread

• brandmoney

Anybody have any reports on metro ice right now? It’s been brutally cold the last couple days but that strong wind is keeping ice off the lakes. Checked on a local pond this morning and it went from completely open yesterday to completely locked up today. Hoping it won’t be long

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Ask again in about 2 weeks, way to early.

Justin riegel

I would guess some of the smaller north metro lakes and bays will have people fishing this weekend. It doesn’t take long to make 2.5 to 3 inches of ice.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

took a drive around Tonka yesterday. there was some skim ice on parts of the really small bays but the wind was keeping things open. looking out my window right now i can see white all across Black lake which means there is ice cover. Per usual we get snow at the worst times. IDK when the snow started and how much ice built up before it came. Yesterday the wind started to die down in the late afternoon. i would imagine there are around 2″ of ice underneath this snow in some places. will probably make for crappy ice. Ill be taking a drive around with my spud bar around lunch time and will report back

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

I swore there was a “Metro Ice 2021” thread, went looking for it but no luck. Did it disappear like the sweet country music thread or am I just crazy and imagining things? doah

Either way, with these temps it won’t be long at all. This snow could stop, hopefully it just blows off. I very much prefer to see the actual ice and what’s ahead early on vs just a white blanket.

JEREMY
    BP

Saying 4-8″ friday/saturday that wont help the situation

Walleyeguy34

Weaver lake in MG was locked up today with some snow cover on the ice, did not go out an check the ice. Was open water on Sunday.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Any ice from the cities southward is going to be in for a real test Friday night. Locally here on the banks of Pool 4 there is about 8″ of snow forecasted (a long ways out, likely will end up with less)…but even 6″ will possibly sink the ~1″ of ice that’s currently on areas with no current. Ideally it will just completely reset, as there is a warmup coming next week. Areas that do hold the snow with thin ice will have some slushy cloudy ice after next week’s warmup.

This is shaping up to be one of my latest local ice fishing seasons on record. Being on the ice much before Christmas is going to be a real push, when in a typical year I’m on local ice December 1 without pushing it – give or take a few days. Best of luck to everyone who has recently purchased wheelhouses and doesn’t live in Northern, MN. It could be a long time yet until you are on local ice.

LabDaddy1

I swore there was a “Metro Ice 2021” thread, went looking for it but no luck. Did it disappear like the sweet country music thread or am I just crazy and imagining things? doah

Either way, with these temps it won’t be long at all. This snow could stop, hopefully it just blows off. I very much prefer to see the actual ice and what’s ahead early on vs just a white blanket.

I haven’t been on IDO for a while but after reading your post I googled the country thread and it is actually gone. Like “404: page not found” gone… What happened there?

AnotherFisherman

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ben D wrote:</div>

I haven’t been on IDO for a while but after reading your post I googled the country thread and it is actually gone. Like “404: page not found” gone… What happened there?

Must’ve went off the rails after I said that I liked Eric Church. jester jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

All of minnetonka is locked up. Snow as far as the eye can see everywhere I looked. Saw one guy fishing about 50 yards out on a spot that always freezes early. Didn’t have time to get out myself and check ice conditions though. I think by this weekend we will have some safe ice around.

Wish we’d get a little wind to sweep this light snow off the ice

Ripjiggen

Yeah 6-8 of snow with 48 by mid week next week may make things dicey..

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yeah 6-8 of snow with 48 by mid week next week may make things dicey..

I saw a crack at 50 next week!

Justin riegel

-3 in the north metro this morning, I am sure people will be out today or tomorrow.

Deuces

Lake of the isles frozen over again. Didn’t get to the big 2 south of here, maybe tomorrow I can check out.

brandmoney

2″ on some small lakes in the south metro

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Got out today in the far north metro. Small lake, capped over before the snow and deep freeze of the last two days. 4-5 inches everywhere. Most other lakes just capped over last night around me.

Justin riegel

Got out today in the far north metro. Small lake, capped over before the snow and deep freeze of the last two days. 4-5 inches everywhere. Most other lakes just capped over last night around me.

How was the bite?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

They were a little tight lipped. A little surprising considering only one other person had been on the lake before me. Found the school and got some to bite. A lake I know well. Looking forward to the bigger ones to get safe.

Should’ve brought a tip up for this guy though!

Attachments:
    1. 580FBBEC-31EF-4D66-BDFF-64EF5D68654D-scaled.jpeg

Justin riegel

They were a little tight lipped. A little surprising considering only one other person had been on the lake before me. Found the school and got some to bite. A lake I know well. Looking forward to the bigger ones to get safe.

At least you got out, I hope to try some of the smaller lakes this weekend.

brandmoney

I can’t imagine that the incoming snow is going to help our cause.

Forecast calls for 57 degrees and rain next Wednesday (

404 ERROR
    MN

I can’t imagine that the incoming snow is going to help our cause.

Forecast calls for 57 degrees and rain next Wednesday

That’s a good thing considering the snow we’re getting right now. Melt it and let it freeze solid.

Ripjiggen

Could have sold that for 22$ whistling

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Could have sold that for 22$ whistling

Haha! At some places definitely!

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

4 inches on a small lake by Elk River

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Lots of slush after all the snow on the lake that had good ice for me last week. Less ice too. Hopefully the rain and warm this week can reset everything.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thinking of hitting some North of the metro lakes this weekend anything south of Mille Lacs. Anyone have a current ice report?

Gregg Gunter

I’m going to try and check some lakes in Chisago Co tomorrow. If we hit 50F the water will be running for sure.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

All of minnetonka is locked up.

Just saw a video online of someone breaking ice and taking their Yacht off of Tonka today, I’d be careful out there!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.