Metro Ice Thread

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to try and check some lakes in Chisago Co tomorrow. If we hit 50F the water will be running for sure.

I was out on a small lake in Scandia and it had 3 inches most places with about 3 inches of slush on top. The bigger lakes in the area are probably pretty dangerous right now. Haven’t even bothered checking them though.

Gregg Gunter

Thanks Mahto
    I’m waiting to see the wind tomorrow. Expecting some lakes to open up.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Got into some tonight. 5-6″ where I was on tonka tonight. Saw a few 8×16 wheelhouses out in a spot that freezes over early. Saw one skid house out in the middle of a bay which surprised me. With these cold temps on the way I imagine people will be driving around some metro areas a week from now with pickups. It won’t be me mind you…

Attachments:
    1. 20211227_181012-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It’s only a matter of time before the first truck goes through…

KP
    Hudson, WI

I was on a lake here in Western WI and saw a truck pull right up to the ice from the landing looking like they were going to drive out. They sat there for awhile and we thought they were going to drive onto the ice. We were on about 5 inches of ice and just starred at the truck thinking they cant be that stupid.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Gonna be a lot of ice made in the next week

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20211228-121944_Weather.jpg

queenswake
    NULL

Got into some tonight. 5-6″ where I was on tonka tonight. Saw a few 8×16 wheelhouses out in a spot that freezes over early. Saw one skid house out in the middle of a bay which surprised me. With these cold temps on the way I imagine people will be driving around some metro areas a week from now with pickups. It won’t be me mind you…

Nice mess. Hope to get out on Tonka at some point this week for the first time this season. I am never early to drive out on Tonka. I don’t trust that lake until I see many other tracks out there.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

A hot bite today. Caught about 50 in 4 hours. I measured about 8″ where I was today on tonka. Also counted about 12 ice castles not far from me

Attachments:
    1. received_656447538702133.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A hot bite today. Caught about 50 in 4 hours. I measured about 8″ where I was today on tonka. Also counted about 12 ice castles not far from me

How big are those things? Hard to tell when they’re all in a pile.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

How big are those things? Hard to tell when they’re all in a pile.

Not very big. I didn’t have a measuring stick with but one looked to be about 11″ and the rest are in that 7-9″ range.

Lately I’ve been scaling my fish and keeping the skin on when cleaning. This seems to allow me to get a bigger filet out of a smaller fish

Slipbob nick

About 8” in Princeton. With no parking at the landing now there’s a handful of trucks all parked on the edge of the ice. Slow fish wise one here one there last day or two.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not very big. I didn’t have a measuring stick with but one looked to be about 11″ and the rest are in that 7-9″ range.

I thought maybe a couple of them were one of the 15 inchers that Tonka is notorious for.

tim hurley

Always feel frustrated when I see nice fish come out of ‘tonka. I know of one good spot out there but have never caught any speck over 10. Always easier for me to scout in a boat, every year I think I will do that, but every year I hate to face the zoo! I tip my jealous hat to you crappie55369

Jake

I went out all day yesterday (yep braved the chilly morning). We went to two different lakes. One was Wasserman in Victoria and then Lake Waconia. Wasserman had about 9 inches, and to our surprise Waconia had 12 inches off the east side where we fished. There are a lot of active springs in that lake be careful. so I would think after this next bout of cold weather coming soon people will be driving.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Always feel frustrated when I see nice fish come out of ‘tonka. I know of one good spot out there but have never caught any speck over 10.

Really, never a speck over 10 inches? Even in the spring when the fish are up shallow Tim?

Charles

10 – 11″ on cross, 2ft of snow and about 3″ of slush.

Damn its a long walk out to the shack now lol.

tim hurley

G- I can look at maps and figure out where crappies might set up, last time I did that for ‘tonka I went to the spots and they all had signs saying the area was closed to fishing(for the spawn) ’till like July!
    The spot I fish is a winter basin area, its fun but its Dinkville USA.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

G- I can look at maps and figure out where crappies might set up, last time I did that for ‘tonka I went to the spots and they all had signs saying the area was closed to fishing(for the spawn) ’till like July!
    The spot I fish is a winter basin area, its fun but its Dinkville USA.

Tonka has by far the best crappie fishing of any lake in the area. Both in terms of quantity and quality. I’ll hit you back up come spring time. Biggest I’ve found recently is 12.5 inches. I’m looking for about a 15 or 16 incher though. 12’s aren’t good enough anymore.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

West side of Tonka had 10-12″, fishing was decent too! Couple 10″ crappies and a keeper walleye, with a few dink perch and dink walleye in a few hours.

tim hurley

Talk to me in the spring G-I’ll get lunch toast

olas88

Anyone know of the ice thickness on the St Croix. Looking to get the kids out this weekend and it is much easier to drive out with the crew.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

Anyone know of the ice thickness on the St Croix. Looking to get the kids out this weekend and it is much easier to drive out with the crew.

Ice on the Croix has been inconsistent, I was out last Thursday night and was on 8″. Reports I’ve been seeing vary from 8-12″ after the weekend. Barricades are down on the Bayport side, some vehicles have been going out. I plan to be out there Friday night, but I’ll be in my Subaru rather than my F-150.

olas88

Thanks for the info! We have another 36 hours of subzero temps coming before this weekend so that should help.

Lost
    Shafer, MN

It should help, but I wouldn’t bank on much. The snow has been insulating the ice and it’s been slow to add more.

Just be careful and check as you go if you decide to drive any vehicle out.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Just got back from a drive around tonka. Mostly the west side. Didn’t see any trucks on the ice but have seen quite a few permanent fish houses setup. Called Wayzata bait today and they said reports are anywhere from 8-10″ still in smaller bays. Advising to wait until after this weekend for pickup driving. This weekend is supposed to be very cold so we should make a little ice despite the snow cover.

I plan on doing my first overnight in the pop up this weekend. Just trying to figure out which spot I want to setup on

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This weekend is supposed to be very cold so we should make a little ice despite the snow cover.

I’m seeing a high of 31 degrees on Saturday.

olas88

Sunday and Monday cold. Also tomorrow.

olas88

-20 last night, that has to build some major ice even with some snow on the top

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Measured a north metro lake (snail) after the crazy cold night and it was still 9″ – the layer of crust/snow is real.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.