Metro Ice

• Ripjiggen

I am in 14ft or less… can’t speak for others. Snow will mess up the bite. Well not the bite but my willingness to walk out there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I mainly target 12 ft or less all winter.

Brittman

22′ is shallow weeds?

No not shallow weeds – I think you asked if they were sliding into the basin … it is the depth where I really did well (a week ago now) on crappies and sunnies on a mid-size lake.

The 14′ depth is a weedy area on a lake I have fished a few times this winter. They seem to be there on that lake.

Have some personal things going on (extended family) coupled with the weather … not out as much as I had hoped.

tim hurley

Just heard we have had 45” of snow this winter, we have lost some of that, still think its a thick dark blanket, hope those weeds hold up. Could be a winter-kill year for some small lakes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just heard we have had 45” of snow this winter

I just heard that today too. 45.5 inches already, and the average in the Twin Cities for an entire winter (through March) is 51 inches.

The record is 101.6 inches in 1983.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>
    Just heard we have had 45” of snow this winter

I just heard that today too. 45.5 inches already, and the average in the Twin Cities for an entire winter (through March) is 51 inches.

The record is 101.6 inches in 1983.

Literally the only year I’m ok with getting crapload of snow after seeing how low all the lakes were last fall.

tim hurley

Silver lining yes, I would rather have a wet spring. What drives me crazy about ice fishing is snow & slush, I can have a open water trip rained out (rare) but at least when the rain is over the rain is gone. 14″ of january snow will be with us for a loooong time.

Brittman

Was contemplating the two of us going out this afternoon – walking with the Smitty sled in tow. At lunch and at dinner … went by three of the most popular NE Metro fishing lakes and did not see anyone on two lakes and one group looking like they were going out on the third.

One of my favorite lakes (some decent fish, plenty of small ones) because it is so close to my house did not have a single person … there was one set of snowmobile tracks from the launch but not heading to where I fish. I would guess the tracks sunk into the snow about a foot.

I will be out there tomorrow or Saturday. Working on options that require the least amount of moving once we are in the right area. Always wondered how some of these lakes would fish without a lot of pressure – maybe I will find out.

queenswake
    NULL

If we had a serve cold snap stretch right now I’d say we are good to go in a few days as things freeze up. But it’s not looking good. Going to end up being a very short and weird ice season. But hey, at least early ice was good and people got out, but so many people want to get out driving and that’s going to be a while. No one wants to be pulling even a smitty through all of this only to drill holes and be flooded.

Aboxy17

Went out yesterday and dragged the otter through 10 inches of wet snow almost a mile both ways. Not the greatest experience but all I can say is I can probably squat more the Jalen Hurts with all the walking I have done this winter lol. Slush was not bad at all and the holes flooded a bit but not as much as I thought. No one on the lake and got a hot crappie bite to myself with some 13-14 in walleye mixed in.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1723.jpg

2. IMG_1607.jpg

3. IMG_1609.jpg

Ryan Schwartz

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tim hurley wrote:</div>
    Kidding about the 100 holes-
    BTW, you guys who are getting fish in shallow weeds, don’t you think those fish will be sliding into the basin soon? I would think a lot of those weeds will be dying soon with weak Jan. sun and a thick blanket of snow on the ice.

These fish stay pretty close to weeds in this lake all winter.

Nice fish!

Brittman

Aboxy – I think many are living vicariously through your reports right now. Oh to be a little younger right now. Well done.

We went to a lake today where I know we can try fish a couple hundred yards out. The DNR lot remains blocked by snow plow piles and the lot itself unplowed. Of course no parking on the road. Went to another lake … same thing. I saw where a snowmobile went out … the first 40 yards were deep slush then he either got past the slush or was moving fast enough not to press down hard enough for the slush to be a factor.

This will be a tough winter on the local bait shops.

Not metro – but look at some of the ML guys efforts to get roads established and plowed. It is crazy up there.

olas88

Warm weather again this weekend will make for further slop. Been wanting to get onto the Croix anyone driving out there yet?

queenswake
    NULL

I think I might try Harriet on Sunday. Easy to park close and only have to walk out a bit with the smitty.

tim hurley

Going to a lake S/E of the metro, less snow and slush down there is the report.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Going out on White Bear tomorrow evening. Have heard only snowmobiles can get around. 6 inches of slush in some spots. I’ve heard the fishing has been pretty darn good most places because there no fishing pressure at the moment. Could make the open water season REALLY good.

Ripjiggen

Not sure what you consider S/E metro but I have plenty of snow in Eagan/Inver Grove.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Fished a north metro lake yesterday. Lot was barely plowed and there were maybe 5 groups on the whole lake. A few walkers and a few snowmobiles. No way trucks will be on the lakes this year. Anywhere from 7-10” of ice but the slush is just as thick.

Bite was good….lack of pressure is going to help some of these lakes.

tim hurley

SW from the metro just south of Hastings, not as much snow very few slushy spots, snow was packed, walking was great fishing was not.
    That area did not get as much snow as the metro.

Walking conditions might improve here though, the rain is supposed to eat at the snow and we may get some arctic air in about a week. For walking this winter has been the worst.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Fished two
    North metro lakes the last couple days. Saturday was insane for bluegill in 18-22ft of water until dark. Lots of 8-9”. Decent amount of slush and snow ontop of it still. Today was slower but a different lake I knew got hammered last year. Managed a couple nice crappies and sunfish but overall slow.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fished just north of the metro. Lots of snow. Drove the truck out. Found very consistent ice. No one else was out. Lots of snow and no other fisherman. Was great.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_12351.jpg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Those are some nice crappies

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Smallest one is 12.5 the biggest one is 15. We caught many more. But that there was enough for a meal

deltak

Wow those are huge crappies!

I am in the metro and this is my first winter ice fishing. Got into it after my father-in-law took me to LOW. Want to fish the Metro but don’t know where/how to start. These posts are inspiration!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wow those are huge crappies!

I am in the metro and this is my first winter ice fishing. Got into it after my father-in-law took me to LOW. Want to fish the Metro but don’t know where/how to start. These posts are inspiration!

There is plenty of water around. Good luck. Some days it sucks and some days you get lucky

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

Birch Lake (Sherburne Cty). Slush isn’t terrible off the launch but the frozen slush in that area is rough walking. Out in the middle most of the slush is frozen, didn’t venture with the kid much further. Lots of little sunnies, perch, and crappies. It was fun for the little one but not great for getting a meal

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

After last night I know why no one is on the east side of White Bear. We didn’t get stuck but man was there slush. Good thing we had studs on the sled or we would’ve had problems.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

After last night I know why no one is on the east side of White Bear. We didn’t get stuck but man was there slush. Good thing we had studs on the sled or we would’ve had problems.

This rain won’t help much at all

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.