Marine Radio recommendations

• arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

I am looking to purchase a Marine Radio. Plan on mainly using it on Lake of the Woods.

Does anyone have recommendations for which Brand and Model of Radio and Antenna?

Thanks!

traumatized
    eastern iowa

To start, handheld or mount?

traumatized
    eastern iowa

Want to spend the extra so it has GPS and shows your location when hailing?

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

I am not sure, I will probably look at both options.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I pip Standard Horizon. They repaired a unit for me that was out of warranty at no change and the unit performs very well.
    Not to mention the 3 year warranty. Good People.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=83&encProdID=6E5872D1D4717C89110B830D1F18614D&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

Google JollyAnn Marine to see what Ben Garvers doing for prices now a day. I’m sure the unit will say out of stock but email him and you’ll have it in very short order.

I went to a 4′ shakespeare antenna. I had the 8′ before. For my area I didn’t need 8′. You might up there.

Timmy

IMO, any name brand VHF will do you fine – just get one with the options you want. Where you want to make sure you buy the best is the antenna. The antenna is what transmits – spend the cash and get a good one. They operate on line-of-site, so mounting height is important. An 8′ antenna makes a world of distance over a 4′. Just my $0.02.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

IMO, any name brand VHF will do you fine

Gotta disagree there. IMO Uniden are complete junk. Good luck getting one to work more than a year or two. Get the Standard and be done with it. Had one on a boat that was submerged for over 24 hours. Thing still working years later.

-J.

Timmy

I’ll have to take your word for it. Had a Uniden on my old pro-V for 7 yrs without an issue, so I figured they were all decent. Then had a SH on my tyee for 17yrs with no issues either. St Horizon on my current boat as well.

I still maintain that the antenna is ultra crucial for reliable communications.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“I still maintain that the antenna is ultra crucial for reliable communications.”

This is very true……

S.R.

B-man

Want to spend the extra so it has GPS and shows your location when hailing?

Keep in mind you have to register and pay to have that function working.

I’ve never had a problem with Uniden or Standard Horizon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Connect the radio to your gps and your location, speed and direction will be broadcast to anyone that is able to receive it including the CG once the emergency button is pressed.

I would agree that most radios on the market are good. (most don’t spend a weekend in the water, but that’s a good point) I was just going by the service of Standard Horizon. (made by Yaesu Steve)

I’ll also agree the antenna will make or break your radio but as I mentioned for “the area I fish” a 4 footer is more then ample and I don’t have to worry about it’s height. Your milage may vary. )

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

For an antenna, probably the most popular up here on Superior is the Shakespeare Galaxy 5225. Mine is 19 years old and has been flawless. I’d also suggest the stainless mount for it.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for the help everyone.

mojogunter

I had 2 ray marine radios that came with new boats. Both were junk and I replaced both.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.