New Pro Guide

• kodiak05

I put money down today at wendts marine in central wi. I only have the funds for 1 trolling motor right now, do I pick the terrova or go to the back with a vantage?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I put money down today at wendts marine in central wi. I only have the funds for 1 trolling motor right now, do I pick the terrova or go to the back with a vantage?

Tough tough question. Me personally TERROVA. My dad only has the Vantage on his Pro Guide. Of course he’s from the back trolling generation.

kodiak05

Thats where I was leaning. I really want to see what the I pilot can do. I don’t back troll so this sounds like the way to go.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

You will love the i-pilot.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Thats where I was leaning. I really want to see what the I pilot can do. I don’t back troll so this sounds like the way to go.

Are you putting splash guards on your new ride?

Palerider77

If you have to choose go with the I pilot. You can backtroll with the big motor if necessary.

kodiak05

I wasn’t planning on it yet. Still have to decide if I want a Pro Kicker or if I’m going to go all electric.

joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

No need for a kicker on a 1725 IMO. Should be able to cover all speed ranges between the big motor and electric bow/transom trolling motors. That’s a lot of weight and money to throw on that boat.

Joe

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

I wasn’t planning on it yet. Still have to decide if I want a Pro Kicker or if I’m going to go all electric.

I would go electric in a Tiller but thats just me..

Palerider77

I went with electric, as the merc has a digital throttle control. Should cover all the bases.

kodiak05

So everyone feels the electric is the way to go, just haven’t givin in to the comforting idea of a mannual start outboard in case of engine problems. Have had the main go once and went swimming to keep the boat from beaching on the rocks in 38 deg. water. It you guys trust your electrics for a back up in river or lake situations where it could be miles to a launch, I will put the idea of a gas motor to rest.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

So everyone feels the electric is the way to go, just haven’t givin in to the comforting idea of a mannual start outboard in case of engine problems. Have had the main go once and went swimming to keep the boat from beaching on the rocks in 38 deg. water. It you guys trust your electrics for a back up in river or lake situations where it could be miles to a launch, I will put the idea of a gas motor to rest.

What’s your dealer’s opinion on putting a gas kicker on that boat?

Are they okay with the added weight on the 1725’s transom?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I know a couple guys aren’t satisfied the electric will cut it as a back up or even a replacement for a good kicker. Forward trolling at 1.5-2.0 MPH all day with your electric doesn’t leave you a lot of juice if any to get home if the main is shot. Or 10 hours of 1.5-2.0 trolling may completely consume the batts reserve capacity.

I’d be tempted to slap a kicker on there. Or at least put a 36v trolling system on the boat to assure you have the most electric power to troll with.

Trolling with the electric at 2.0 MPH is close to the motors max speed (3.0 MPH on glass calm days) and 2.0 MPH is pretty much as slow as you can troll with the main motor. I like the kicker for the dynamic range (fine tuning the speed) it allows me through those speeds.

kodiak05

The dealer dosen’t have an issue with putting the extra weight on the transom. It’s a hard call for me, I agree it’s alot of extra weight I may never need not to mention the three grand. Then theirs the one time you need it. Will be something to stew over for awhile. I wish someone made a 2 cylinder 4 stroke 6 hp. I think that would be about the perfect kicker size.

kodiak05

Didn’t know that they made a twin 6hp, thanks for bringing to my attetion. Now for my next dumb question, why do most people go with a 8 or a 9.9 for a kicker? They weigh almost double and the only advantage I got when comparing a 4 hp and a 9.9 on my 1650 was the bigger motor made it eazier to control the boat. Speed was almost identical. Or am I missing something else? Thank you gentelmen for all your opinions.

Palerider77

The Tohatsu is a 6hp single actually, but it would be even lighter still. They seem to have a good range of small engines. I think that the kicker market is aimed at 20 foot boats and thus the 9.9 and 15’s.

kodiak05

Picked up my 1725 today and went out to break in the optimax today. All I can say is wow! What a differance from my 1650. Got the terrova in the water for a few min. This is going to be a fun season.

Palerider77

I will preface this comment by acknowledging that this is far from a “real” problem, but it sure is getting sickening waiting for this boat to show up. The Lund factory must be humming right now. I think if we were having a typical March this wouldn’t be much of an issue but the nice weather really has me looking forward to seeing the new ride.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

It is on it’s way. Will post some pics when I get it. Should be the middle of April. Now I just need to remain calm for 2 months.

It’s only the middle of March.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

slap a quick mount bracket on your minnkota so that nobody can steal it!!

And also be sure its the plastic square puck type and not the metal bracket. This way you can put the boat cover all the way over it and not have the metal bracket wearing a hole into the cover.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Oh, I forgot something,

Oh and let me tell you about the sleepless nights that are in your future!

Palerider77

Just got the call, the new rig has arrived at the dealer.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.