Looking for Career direction insight and advice

• outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

I went through something similar 4 years ago. I spent 6 months asking family and friends what my skills were what was I good at what was I not good at. I put this all together and eventually made a decision for a business and went for it. It has been 3 years since I started working at my business and I feel it was the right move.
    I feel having the support of my family was the most important factor.

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

My local used to have decent benefits, but now they have drastically went downhill. My brother pays through the nose on his insurance and it covers way less than it used too. At least they voted down the plan for mandatory pension deduction.

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

After reading all the great comments, I think I’m leaning towards pro handyman. I have everything I need for it, and can still do glass work. I have an in with several NSP’s that can keep me going well until word of mouth and advertising kicks off.

It’s not a glamour job, but from what I understand, there are more people needing this type of work, then there are people providing it. I’m definitely going to be fighting an uphill battle with price wars, but with solid references, and finding the right people who understand that “you get what you pay for”, I think I can stay busy enough.

My question is, what do people feel about the job title handyman? Some people refer to it as a jack of all trades, and King of none. Or like its bargain rate fixes. That’s not the persona I want, as I am providing professional work, from little repairs, up to full remodels. What can I put in the company name to relay that? I currently plan on using “Pro Handyman” in the name, unless people feel it draws the wrong impression. I do fix everything in a persons house, so I want people to understand that by looking at my name, but I don’t want people expecting $20 fixes when they find my name and call.

Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

No, Pro Handyman is not the way to go IMO.

Use high end words to convey you do high end work. Maybe something like Classic, Emerald, Diamond, Elite, Platinum you get the idea. In the secondary line you can convey what you do. Use a high end business card with clean print. Don’t print your own. Also keep your vehicle clean, nothing says slob like a guy pulling in with a beat up truck that needs a muffler that hasn’t been washed in 10 years.

Remember, you can’t get the opportunity to sell yourself and what you can do until you get in the door.

Good luck.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Have strong networks before you take that leap. People saying they’ll have work for you and reality are completely different things. Really got to have your own solid line of work to begin IMO.

I was doing side jobs on nights and weekends for the better of 2 years to build a customer base before I went off on my own. It was awful.

Handyman sounds incredibly tough honestly. I’m sure alot of the projects are smaller so everything is itemized and people will pick apart your quotes. Then if you say I will just go by the hourly rate of $50 hour might as well show yourself the door.

Higher end customers want quality, but more than that they want trust. They have more in assets in one stall of their garage than most do in 50yrs of work. This is where referrals and reputation come into play, if you don’t have either, better present yourself on all fronts perfectly. And be able to take care of everything, whether yourself performing the work or having contacts on standby to do it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

If you didn’t like sub-contracting yourself out… how is this different ? ???

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

One more thought for consideration. Several have mentioned losing contracts to low ball contractors. How about marketing yourself as an owners agent / project manager to hold the contractor’s feet to the fire on high end home builds? The big boys are used to having folks do this kind of thing in their line of business and don’t have time and / or knowledge to do it themselves. when building that dream home.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.