Looking at the forecast holy buckets

• Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Heard that also Glenn, kinda stinks. What I’m afraid of long run is if we have a record ice out state wide, come opener the lakes are super low and a much higher surface temp. Opener could be more like mid June water temps. Hey I know, maybe we should push for an early opener!! waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

come opener the lakes are super low

The thing is, even though we’re behind on snow and way behind compared to last winter, we’re actually ahead on moisture. Much of the state received 3+ inches of rain on Christmas which is approximately the water equivalent of 3 feet of snow. Lake and river levels should be in good shape right now.

But that could obviously change come opener if we head into another annual drought.

stout93
    Becker MN

I love it

x1000

Got a snowmobile sitting in the pole barn, ice fishing equipment hasn’t been touched…could care less. I’ll take these temps during winter 100/100 times.

I actually can’t believe its February already next week. This has been the ‘shortest’ winter that I can ever remember. Love it…

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Swimjiggin wrote:</div>
    come opener the lakes are super low

The thing is, even though we’re behind on snow and way behind compared to last winter, we’re actually ahead on moisture. Much of the state received 3+ inches of rain on Christmas which is approximately the water equivalent of 3 feet of snow. Lake and river levels should be in good shape right now.

But that could obviously change come opener if we head into another annual drought.

I do hope your right, although at the time of the rain we didn’t have squat for frost. Rumor has it the frost line is only down 15″ where there was no snow after last weeks cold temps.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

x1000

Got a snowmobile sitting in the pole barn, ice fishing equipment hasn’t been touched…could care less. I’ll take these temps during winter 100/100 times.

I actually can’t believe its February already next week. This has been the ‘shortest’ winter that I can ever remember. Love it…

I said the same thing. I bought a new plow for the tractor last fall. As well as bought a used wheel house and remodeled it. I’ll do that every fall if it means I can have a winter like this.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^In our dirt along Pool 4, there’s maybe 8-10” of frost at most and the 6” of snow we got out of the last system before it got real cold is completely gone in open areas.

We will shatter records for frost free soil/fields if we don’t get a major long term pattern change for the back end of February

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Sunshine today and a high near 44. And the extended forecast still looks elevated. Crazy!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The fake winter of 2023-2024 marches on.

Attachments:
    1. fake-winter.jpg

tswoboda

17 MPH northwest wind, clear skies, and 39 degrees… in January. wtf

glenn57
    cold spring mn

with ALL the fossil fuels were saving with these temps…..maybe it’ll stock up and prices drop??? whistling whistling whistling

Charles

40 in BLA area, its so nice lol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just took a look at the local forecast for my area. Starting today the forecast is for the daily high to all be above 40 for the next 12 days with a 50 in there for Wed. The lowest nightly low in that forecast is for 30 Deg.

What a odd winter !!!

Ryan Schwartz

Since last year was too much snow, this year was too mild…maybe next year will be just right??? Fool me three times and I might have to consider Canadian citizenship…

I can’t imagine there is going to be much good ice even for the Jaycees hybrid tourney. My wife and I have tickets, but at this point, we’re just calling it a donation.

Brian Bezanson

Plenty of traffic out of Wahkon this weekend but lots of houses got pulled off Sunday.
    12 to 16 inches but the accesses take a beating in this weather.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We overshot the forecasted high of 43 degrees here along Pool 4 and hit 48.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t blow by the 50 degree mark Wednesday. There’s no snow left and even the muddy mess of Spring is starting to dry out with some wind

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We overshot the forecasted high of 43 degrees here along Pool 4 and hit 48.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t blow by the 50 degree mark Wednesday. There’s no snow left and even the muddy mess of Spring is starting to dry out with some wind

I need it to dry out. I rutted my yard up playing musical trailers this evening. Mud tracks all over the road.

Brad Dimond

A buddy sent who knows I make maple syrup sent a picture this morning, a guy near Annandale already has sap buckets hung.

Obsession
    Maple Grove

There is a realistic chance we might be back in a boat on some lakes before walleye season closes!!!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

After last winter I am loving this. I’m ready to go trout fishing and absolutely love the fact that I won’t have to freeze my ass off or trudge through a bunch of snow. Haven’t ice fished since December and honestly it isn’t bothering me that much.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Plenty of traffic out of Wahkon this weekend but lots of houses got pulled off Sunday.
    12 to 16 inches but the accesses take a beating in this weather.

A couple resorts closed accesses too yesterday.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

9 Twin Cities area golf courses will be opening Wed – Sun. Its the first time a public golf course has ever been open in the month of January here in Minnesota.

The high in Marshall tomorrow is projected to be 57 degrees.

All this happening during what is traditionally the coldest time of the year.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

A couple resorts closed accesses too yesterday.

Yep they are just trying to keep there access from being trash for this weekend. This is a crazy winter we are not having. crazy

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The only negative I’m seeing is the FL and TX temps aren’t as proportionally high. So running down to FL and TX isn’t as “rewarding” to get away from the winter.

CaptainMusky

I think I just heard my neighbor drive his motorcycle to work. That is nuts.

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

It’s an amazing winter so far if you can call call it that.
    I haven’t used the snowblower or even a shovel yet here in Bloomington.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Crazy is not even the warmest winter yet. Has a chance but still needs the next Month to hold this winter could beat it though.

(December 2023 was the warmest in the Twin Cities since records were kept at Ft. Snelling, 200 years ago. And if temperatures next month stick close to five degrees above average, it could beat out 1877-1878 for the title of warmest winter.

The state’s climatology office says both this winter and the winter of 1877-1878 were similar — big El Niño years — and there was almost no snow cover for months.

That winter, the lakes didn’t ice over, so many people boated. It was easier than trying to traverse muddy trails with horse and buggy.)

shefland
    Walker

Rainy River in boat soon?

JEREMY
    BP

A buddy sent who knows I make maple syrup sent a picture this morning, a guy near Annandale already has sap buckets hung.

My dad tapped 5 trees yesterday western sibley county and he said they all were running.

Brian Bezanson

Beachside has been pulling skid houses off and it appears taking them right to their laydown / storage lot on the southend of Wahkon’s Main St.
    Access was closed yesterday.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.