Looking at the forecast holy buckets

• Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Word is the bitter cold up in Alaska right now will be bottled up there for about a week and a half then start moving South, but it should be moderated quite a bit by the time it arrives. My sources say it will get cold, but probably not like last week’s cold.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That’s usually pretty accurate. When Alaska is bitter cold, we have warmth. And vice versa.

We might see more “normal” temps around the middle of February but by that point the warmth will have taken its toll already. Snow and ice is going to be shot, or gone.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like tomorrow will be the deciding date for the Jaycees and they are going to make an announcement

Its posted. They’re using a “hybrid” model and allowing people to fish other area lakes outside of the traditional hours. Won’t let me post the link but this is what it says.

Brainerd, MN — In light of our unwavering commitment to the safety and well-being of all participants, the Brainerd Jaycee Ice Fishing Extravaganza is excited to share our plans for the upcoming 2024 tournament scheduled for February 3rd. In the spirit of adaptability and safety, we have devised a plan that prioritizes the well-being of the public, our community, and the dedicated anglers who make this event truly special. After careful consideration, the Extravaganza is pivoting to a hybrid model for the upcoming tournament.

Our commitment to the ice fishing tradition remains strong, concentrating on its three core ideals. 1) Bringing in economic support to area businesses 2) Donating all proceeds to area charities and nonprofits 3) Encouraging people of all ages to enjoy the best midwest hobby! Our hybrid model remains focused on our key mission while also addressing safety concerns.

Recognizing the importance of adapting to the current circumstances, the Extravaganza will transition to a hybrid model using Fish Donkey as the platform, keeping the February 3rd date but with extended contest hours. Participants will register for the tournament, uploading a picture of their ticket, which is needed to qualify for the event. This hybrid model extends the tournament across multiple Brainerd Area lakes where participants can still compete and experience the thrill of the Extravaganza from the safety and comfort of their chosen locations. The committee is also working on providing in-person support on main accesses across the area to directly help contestants who may not be familiar with the platform. Multiple changes have been adapted from the Fish Donkey tournament held in 2021.

While online ticket sales will end today, contestants are encouraged to buy tickets from their local Fleet Farm stores or participating outlets. The will call and Information booth will also be available to help our participants throughout the transition.

While we understand that this may not be the ideal scenario for some participants,we deem it crucial to prioritize safety and flexibility in light of unprecedented ice conditions. We insist that all contestants exercise utmost caution on any ice. Our steadfast commitment to delivering an unforgettable and thrilling event remains a priority. Rest assured, our confidence in this hybrid approach enables us to navigate and overcome any challenges that may arise.

Please stay updated on all information by visiting icefishing.org, following our official social media channels, and joining our mailing list.

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm and participation in the Brainerd Jaycee Ice Fishing Extravaganza.

Gitchi Gummi

absolutely crazy winter we’re having weather wise. Last winter we broke the winter snowfall record. Then the super dry summer we had following it up was a complete 180. Now this winter, Duluth is on track for the lowest snowfall total in history, and its not even close. I want to say the lowest snowfall winter on record had like 33″ thru this date and Duluth is currently at 17″. I’m not sure we will continue that trajectory for the year but its been a wild ride weather-wise the last 2 years.

I’m heading back up to trout fish in the BWCA this weekend next to the Canadian border. I was up 2 weeks ago too. Its been nice having so little ice to hand drill thru as well as minimal snow/slush to walk thru which is a very welcomed change to most years.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

This has got to be the craziest winter I’ve seen in my life. I can only remember a couple that were close – we had permanent house on Bald Eagle about 20 years ago and houses were dunking through in January. But if we have near 50 degrees next week I think this will take tops.

Regardless of the temps, this is about when my seasonal affect kicks in. I hate it when we don’t see the sun for weeks on end. Today is especially gloomy I could go for some sunshine.

CaptainMusky

lindyrig this weather is so dang gloomy for sure. Looking outside I can only see like a quarter mile. We need the sun to come out and push this crap out of here.

lindyrig79

lindyrig this weather is so dang gloomy for sure. Looking outside I can only see like a quarter mile. We need the sun to come out and push this crap out of here.

Doesn’t look like we’ll see sun for at least 5-6 more days…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

They have backed off on the temps forecasted for the area around Pool 4 a bit. The 50s have been erased for temps in the low to mid 40s instead.

However, once the minimal snow cover is gone around here things heat up in a hurry. Also with those mid 40s they are forecasting sunshine. Any snow that’s not piled or on the shaded north side of hills or structures will be gone by the end of this weekend around here.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

this is about when my seasonal affect kicks in

Mine as well, But this year it doesn’t seem to be near as bad. I think the less snow and warmer than normal snowfall has really helped.

lindyrig79

Mine as well, But this year it doesn’t seem to be near as bad. I think the less snow and warmer than normal snowfall has really helped.

Totally agree. We had sun and 40s end of December and I was still pheasant hunting. Not nearly as bad as the last few years.

However the lack of sunshine will really start wearing me down, so I’m hoping next week’s forecast is correct that will feel great.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

The warm winter has me PO 24\7.The lack of ice not sun is getting to me.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

For us that work outside this winter has been great, last week we faught it. Sure could use some moisture tho, would rather see snow than spring rain to help the lakes. Besides the snow chuckers have been fueled since October..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The warm winter has me PO 24\7.The lack of ice not sun is getting to me.

Where are you at ? We have the perfect amount of ice to travel on without trucks and it’s been great. Love having no wheelhouses everywhere molesting the 40 foot holes.

Jimmy Jones

Global warming at its finest…. according to Al Gore.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For us that work outside this winter has been great, last week we faught it. Sure could use some moisture tho, would rather see snow than spring rain to help the lakes. Besides the snow chuckers have been fueled since October..

Last week I was outside on a roof cutting precast in Owatonna, it was absolutely brutal.

lindyrig79

It is January 25 and I have not used a snowblower or my atv plow yet this year.

The snow is completely gone as of this evening and no snow in sight

Crazy.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Crazy.

I haven’t even used a shovel! I used a push broom twice.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Crazy.

I haven’t even used a shovel! I used a push broom twice.

I used a shovel once this year, but it wasn’t really necessary

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Looking at the 10-day forecast mid 30s this week increasing to 40s and then 50s. I am shocked! I got out ice fishing this past weekend but I wouldn’t want to be one of the guys who just got their permanent house out. Looking like a very short <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing season, at least for me.

I wish all MN winters were like this. I’d consider staying. It’s been an awesome winter thus far. Of course the lack of sunshine sucks. Give me salt and sand anyday.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

BC down here in SW WI.we got some ice during that cold week.I got out once last weekend and now the rain screwed it up i’m sure.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anyone who thinks the ice isn’t being affected by this weather needs to look out the window at the snow loss.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

All good here except for the muddy dog feet!

-J.

KP
    Hudson, WI

-J.

X2 and not a fun thing!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Crazy.

I haven’t even got my snowblower out from storage, I’ve used my leaf blower for any snow sofar…I love it

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Mud season is here in January!

Lots of firsts this year. If this water don’t freeze back up, it will be the first time in my lifetime that I missed hardwater season.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ve used the shovel several times. To clear a spot on the ice for my spear house. devil waytogo

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Throw in the dirt plugs from core aeration in the fall and it’s a PITA!!

Just drove around parts of Minnetonka. A few fisherman out but very little snow on the ice and a lot of standing water. It’s going to go in a hurry with such little ice depth. Saw one wheel house out that better be taken off by the end of this weekend or….

lindyrig79

If we’re getting our first Spring in January, I wonder how many “Springs” we’ll have by April, lol?!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I heard they canceled the pond hockey tournament. Aldo 2 fishing contests have been canceled, hill city and park rapids.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.