Kids Fishing Clinic Ideas

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Its that time of the year again. I get to put on a kids fishing clinic at our local QDM youth day. I had some great tips last year so I am going to try again.

I am currently printing on 11 x 17 color pictures of the most common fish in MN lakes and discussing for 5-10 minutes. We have a local lake that has a fishing pier and picnic area. I hand out a flyer with directions to the parents telling them how easy it is to get started. I work that into explaining a basic setup for a bobber. I then have 3 rod real combos and let them cast into some circles and buckets I have set up. My station takes about 30 minutes. I am sponsored by Otter and Jiffy so I get to send the kids home with ice scoops, minnow scoops and beanie hats.

Any other activites or lecture you guys can think of?

If interested it is held in Stanchfield MN. PM for details.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Importance of selective harvest and not wasting fish.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Maybe a simple knot Tying Demo with a few of the most common Knots used. Maybe printout a few Cards showing the steps to Tie them

Deuces

Best times with kids I’ve taken fishing are when they aren’t even fishing.

Minnow dissection station.

Who can hold a leech the longest contest, sucked onto a body part gets bonus points.

Fishing hat filled with every kids name, when the bobber on the pier goes down with a sucker on it pre setout for event goes down they get to reel it in. Could have a couple setups like that casted far out as to not interfere. Of course need someone tending them.

Good luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.