keeping batteries warm

• Reed

Hey guys,
    I picked up a SM 24v and have heard the bitter cold can impact the batteries. I was thinking of a soft bag cooler with hand warmers. What I’m wondering is if that is really necessary; and if others have tried this and if it helps.

Thanks

abster71
    crawford county WI

Sold batteries for years and our reps always told us it’s not the cold that kills a battery it’s the heat from the summer that weakens them but you notice it in the winter when it usually cranks harder. If it’s boat batteries put a good charge in them and they will be fine as long as you had no issues during the summer.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I picked up a SM 24v and have heard the bitter cold can impact the batteries.

Strike master addresses this in their product manual. I would suggest following the manufactures instructions. They have a vested interest with you having a satisfying experience when using their product.
    https://www.rapala.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-rapala-Site/default/Product-GuidesAndManuals?source=downloads%2fstrikemaster%2f24v%20Battery%20Owner%27s%20Manual%2epdf

Attachments:
    1. battery.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If it’s boat batteries

The op is not asking about boat batteries. He is on the ice fishing forum asking about lithium battery usage for a SM24volt auger.

Sylvanboat

Gord Pyzer of InFisherman did a test with an Ion auger in 50 below weather and said the battery worked flawlessly all day.

Andy Fischer

I’ve had a 40V Strikemaster for 3 seasons now and never had an issue with my batteries. I keep them in the truck until I hit the lake, then keep them with me in the shelter once I’m done drilling if it’s really cold. If it’s 20-30 degrees, I leave it on the auger outside the shack and never had issues.

Hey guys,
    I picked up a SM 24v and have heard the bitter cold can impact the batteries. I was thinking of a soft bag cooler with hand warmers. What I’m wondering is if that is really necessary; and if others have tried this and if it helps.

Thanks

Rick Janssen

I have a KDrill with a Milwaukee power drill. I always carry an extra battery, but just put it in my bucket. Everything is stored in my traverse and then in the sled. Never have had a problem.

CaptainMusky

Gord Pyzer of InFisherman did a test with an Ion auger in 50 below weather and said the battery worked flawlessly all day.

He probably got the Ion free because of who he is. A buddy has the same auger and on LOW 2 winters ago in -30 temps he was able to drill 8 holes all day. It took about 30 minutes to drill the last two holes because it would stop after each revolution. “Worked flawlessly all day”? Ha!
    Put the batteries in a soft sided cooler and keep them in your heated shack. If possible store them near the top of the shelter as thats where heat gathers the most.

MX1825

I keep my dewalt batteries in a $10 soft side lunch cooler. Never had a problem and the SS cooler helps protect them from banging around the sled or bucket.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve never had a Milwaukee battery not work due to cold and never take precautions for them other than having a spare with. I’d say -15 or so is the coldest they’ve been subject to. Anything colder than that and I’m not going to be fishing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.