Keep Car Repair Cost Down

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

We are starting to see this already. Dealers/manufactures are trying to lock us out of data needed to diagnose problems in the new vehicles. We already have to pay annually now for Chrysler vehicles to be able to communicate correctly with all the modules. If they find a way to keep the data from us or make us pay extra for it, the cost of car repair will go up, or you may be forced to go to the dealership for repairs instead of having you choice to go to you local shop that you trust. As someone from the industry I know this would be a huge blow to the independent auto repair shops and it would make helping our great customers a lot harder. I am adding a link and would appreciate anyone who cares to take a moment to fill it out. Thanks in advance.

Would you please take 30 seconds today to let Congress know how important it is that the independent auto repair industry be able to continue to service and repair vehicles? Right now, vehicle manufacturers and dealers are meeting with lawmakers in an attempt to restrict independent access to critical information needed to repair and maintain modern vehicles. We need as many people as possible to tell Congress that we cannot let that happen!

https://www.autocareadvocacy.org/take-action-tell-congress-support-right-to-repair/

Type in your address and our tool will automatically find your lawmakers and populate a letter of support. You don’t have to write anything, we did the work for you. If you want to say more, feel free to modify the letter. Click send, and that’s it.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Thought this was going to be a push to get an aftermarket car warranty extension. Have you received a call?
    Filled out and sent it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thought this was going to be a push to get an aftermarket car warranty extension. Have you received a call?

Lol! No I would never tell someone to get one of those, keep your money.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Car makers see the money John deere us making and want in on that….to bad. Just driving up the cost of used vehicles as well.

Iowaboy1

John, its bad enough that they wont release info to the aftermarket techs but my snap on scanner that costs big bucks is whizzing me off as well.
    If I dont keep up with the latest software somehow the scanner is programmed to shut off the trouble shooter side of the codes menu!! WTH!
    I paid 4K+ for the scanner and spend 600 a year updating it, I know I dont own the technology but I paid for what is already in it, I dont think they should have the right to shut off what has been bought.
    The bad part is most likely I wont see current models in the shop other than basic services and wont need the latest stuff for at least a couple of years.
    Well, that is until someone gets fed up with a dealer not being able to fix it and I get asked to do it.

Its bad enough I have over 8K wrapped up in scanner equipment for outboards and I can see that being next, ugh !!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

John i looked at it and will fill it out.

question, do i put my name and address in the first few lines? just want to get it right!!!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

question, do i put my name and address in the first few lines? just want to get it right!!!

When you click the link it should have a format to fill out your name, email and address, don’t worry about the company part.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

When you click the link it should have a format to fill out your name, email and address, don’t worry about the company part.

waytogo waytogo waytogo

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its a govt/mfg scam and its going to get worse. I signed the form.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Its a govt/mfg scam and its going to get worse. I signed the form.

as did i!!!!!!!! waytogo waytogo

CaptainMusky

This would cripple the repair industry. Working on today’s vehicles on your own is a real chore these days and the small shops have been great for me along with the dealer BUT being forced to go to the dealer for repairs is utterly ridiculous! How many business would be out of business? Yeah there are lots of older vehicles out there, but that will dry up soon enough.

JEREMY
    BP

Theres lots of the foreign makes that require a monthly subscription for heated seats, remote start, ect even though you buy the vehicle with those options.

CaptainMusky

Theres lots of the foreign makes that require a monthly subscription for heated seats, remote start, ect even though you buy the vehicle with those options.

That is ridiculous! A subscription for heated seats or remote start? I can understand if there was an app involved.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Huh? What foreign makes?

JEREMY
    BP

BMW, Subaru, 19 and newer toyota

JEREMY
    BP

Toyota says $8 a month or $80 a year for remote start

big_g
    Isle, MN

Toyota says $8 a month or $80 a year for remote start

That’s for a subscription to do it from your phone… not conventional key fobik remote start.

Also, manufacturers charging for their proprietary repair information to the aftermarket, is nothing new. They have been doing it forever. They charge their own dealerships for the software and hardware to do it too.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

“you will own nothing and you’ll be happy” this is just the next logical step in that process. I don’t think congress cares at all, in fact most of them seem to relish the idea.

Did congress care when deere started doing it to farmers years ago? If they don’t care about the farmers they CERTAINLY don’t care about the individuals who own vehicles.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Just out of curiosity, is that keyfob remote start or cell phone/app remote start?

I think Big_g answered my question as I was typing.

27eyeguy

Got it done. Thanks for heads up on this John.

JEREMY
    BP

Toyota audio plus comes with three years of remote start from “key fob” after that you have to pay to use it. Thats what their web site says

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Signed and sent.

Thanks bud. Hope for us especially that this works or our already difficult jobs may get harder.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Toyota audio plus comes with three years of remote start from “key fob” after that you have to pay to use it. Thats what their web site says

Have to admit I honestly did not know that. That is crazy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JEREMY wrote:</div>

Have to admit I honestly did not know that. That is crazy.

First I heard of this also…. From what I can find, it sounds like they got HUGE blowback from customers and are rethinking that strategy. It’s certain 2018-2020 models.. they already removed it from 2021 and forward !

MX1825

Being retired from the automotive field I feel your pain John. Dealers want ALL the repair work. flame
    Signed up and messages sent. waytogo

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.