Jacket

• Bluegill89

I currently have a Striker Hardwater jacket. It is extremely warm but it’s so heavy and constricting Its almost hard to move in. Any suggestions on a jacket that doesn’t feel like I’m wearing a straight jacket?

Cameron white

The hardwater fits a 1/2 size bigger than the size on the tag. Bought wrong size maybe?

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

I agree with ya. I tried on 5 different jackets from three brands. I noticed all had no “stretch” in the elbows. They do feel like trying on a tuxedo jacket. Each had their own flaw. I had my eye on the Strikemaster jacket, but the hood does not offer much side wind protection. And Ice Armour has a Scheels Exclusive jacket I liked but apparently SOLD OUT for the year flame

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Buy big. If it is tight, it is going to get you hotter faster when moving, and cooler faster when not moving.
    At the end of the day, it isn’t “fall jacket” weather, so you can expect some bulk and restrictions, but too tight it sounds like.
    I hear these complaints about striker, I’ve been wearing the Climate for 10 years now, and don’t understand the complaints. But, i do enjoy the warmth they bring so maybe I’m happier with one than the other.
    You can’t move like your in a T-Shirt because you aren’t. wave

Good luck in your search. I agree with the above guy – wrong size if you like more movement, buy a size bigger for more movement. Tight is no good, but baggy isn’t right either.

Consider how you layer underneath, if you do. Too much in the sleeves will bulk you up and hinder movement. I wear a lighter down jacket under because it is slippery, and also compresses where i don’t have the room for the bulk. Materials that catch or grab will also enhance the restricted movement you are experiencing.

Ripjiggen

Wouldn’t the predator be an option not nearly as bulky as the climate.

Bluegill89

It’s not a size issue it’s just to constricting.

SW Eyes

Mentioned above, I have the Predator and love it, but no experience with any other suits.

Personal preference thing. Probably best to get into a store and try them on.

Honestly, I don’t wear the jacket much. It’s got to be pretty darn cold and windy.

vinella

It’s not a size issue it’s just to constricting.

Had the Hardwater suit and felt the same way. Switched to the Predator and have been much happier. Clam and Eskimo also have some with a softer material that isn’t so stiff and moves better.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I checked out all 3 of the Striker models last weekend. Both the Climate and the Hardwater series were way to bulky in my opinion ( For me anyways ) I’m going to go with the Predator. I would rather just layer extra clothing below than to have the extra bulk.

Chris Norlock

if you are not concerned about it being a fishing brand every Columbia coat I have had is super light and super warm

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I have the Striker Duck Blind and the Climate, I wore the Climate jacket one maybe two times and found it too heavy/bulky but the bibs are okay, I wore the bibs more often but I did a size larger for easier movement, The Duck Blind to me is the best, heavy enough yet light enough and offers some flexibility where I need it.. it’s also wind proof, waterproof and breathable, its my go to for ice… I don’t know that it is made anymore or not…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I didn’t feel like my Predator suit was restrictive and I don’t feel like my Clam Ascent suit I have now is either. If anything the Clam is a bit bulky in the arms.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

L&M fleet sells their branded “northlander” jacket which is a re-brand made by a company called “Expedition Anorakk”. it’s the best ice fishing jacket I’ve ever bought. It is bulky. Not restrictive at all. Exceptionally warm and great pockets and storage.

The value was incredible- I think I paid $90 for this jacket and it’s as well insulated and engineered as the striker stuff (this is coming from a big striker fan).

I pair it with my striker predator bibs, never been warmer and I haven’t bothered even browsing new jackets and bibs for the last 3 years.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Last year when Fleet screwed up the Christmas flyer and had Hardwater suits at $129/piece I went in the day before and tried them on. They were so heavy and so stiff I couldn’t pull the trigger even at $129. It’s beyond me how anyone can stand to wear them. Unless you an extreme cold weather fisherman it’s beyond me why anyone would buy them. I think a lot of people like to buy the best available product out there (vanity, pride,?) without looking for what they actually need.

Bluegill89

Besides being too stiff it’s phenomenal I’ve never gotten cold.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I checked out all 3 of the Striker models last weekend. Both the Climate and the Hardwater series were way to bulky in my opinion ( For me anyways ) I’m going to go with the Predator. I would rather just layer extra clothing below than to have the extra bulk.

If you add several layers underneath your Predator coat doesn’t that cause bulk and restricted movement? Just asking.

tswoboda

I currently have a Striker Hardwater jacket. It is extremely warm but it’s so heavy and constricting Its almost hard to move in. Any suggestions on a jacket that doesn’t feel like I’m wearing a straight jacket?

I’ve never found a good ice fishing jacket and I’ve owned plenty. Currently have the hardwater and 100% agree way too heavy and bulky.

I switched over to wearing lightweight down parkas a few years ago and not looking back.

If you’re sticking to fishing jackets I’d look at the Simms challenger insulated.

Peterbob
    Menasha, WI

I think you guys just need to break them in for a season. I have the hardwater and it took a good 20-30 outings to get it to not be so stiff. Most comfortable jacket bibs I have ever owned. I have owned a lot of jacket bibs in my day!

tswoboda

I think you guys just need to break them in for a season. I have the hardwater and it took a good 20-30 outings to get it to not be so stiff. Most comfortable jacket bibs I have ever owned. I have owned a lot of jacket bibs in my day!

Mine is almost 7 years old and was used plenty the first few years – it’s fully broken in and wreaks of fish and 2-stroke no matter how many times I wash it. Thought it was fine until I started wearing jackets that were actually comfortable and realized what I was missing.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

When I went to the Ice show I tried on all they had. I ended up buying the Clam Ice Armor jacket and bibs. Not because I am brand loyal or saved money, but because I liked them the best. The jacked seemed to be the lighter of them and was free moving for my body. Make sure to try this stuff on with what you plan on using for under layers. The bibs had some stuff I liked about them over the rest. But I can’t remember what that was off the top of my head. I stand outside in the clod for hours and was not cold over the last couple of year. Everybody body is different and you just have to try it on to see what works for you.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.