suits

• Hallie Sorensen

I was just in scheels today trying to find some new fishing gear… What is best? Striker or Strikemaster? Ice armor?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve had Striker Predators and switched to the Ascent bibs from Clam this year. I give the edge to Striker over my Ascent bibs, but the gap has narrowed by a lot from what the Clam bibs used to be like.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference and fit. Go try them on and see which ones you like the best.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Have had a Striker Predator for three years now. It has held up well and is warm, love the removable inner jacket. Would definitely buy it again.
    This is the only ice suit I have owned so can’t speak for other brands.

Bluegill89

I’ve had my Striker Hardwater suit for 3 season and love it.

Shawn U

I have had the old red Strikemaster bibs & loved them but them bought the Striker Ice Predator bib & jacket. I really like the Predator and I was also able to add extra padding in the knees.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ve had Striker Predator bibs and jacket for 3 years, haven’t worn any other brands. But I can’t imagine there is one out there that is better.

I have had Ice Armour gloves and 3 pairs all ripped in the same spot. They did always exchange them since they were under warranty, but after the 3rd time I took the in-store credit that Scheels offered me rather than an exchange and went with a different brand. So based on that, I am not an Ice Armour person…

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I have had the Hardwater series for 3 years now. I originally had an Ice Armor, switched to Vexilar, now Striker. I would recommend them to everyone. I probably could’ve went Predator jacket and Hardwater bibs because the whole suit is sometimes too warm. I’m on the ice about 3 times a week and they are still in great shape.

They are much lighter then the Vexilar suit was. The Vex suit was warm but heavy. The Ice Armor was waterproof and windproof but not very warm. I usually wear just a pair of sweats under the bibs and a t-shirt and hoodie with the jacket. If it’s below 0 I’ll add a merino wool base layer.

mann4ducks

Wife and I Have the predator suit. Love them but not “water proof”. As far as CO and rain gear def. larger membrane used. Got soaked thru in a light rain on ice in ID last February Was told to use topical treatments to help seal fabric by striker. I was educated that there is “water proof” and a “snow water proof”. That being said great to use just have to spray with nixwax or etc.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Great, even the reputable companies bend the truth. Are Striker suites waterproof or not?

Rob G

We use Artic Armor suits and are very warm/float-able, usually just wear a tee-shirt under the jacket!

curleytail

I think it depends on your definition of waterproof. Even lots of good Gore Tex rain gear and boots aren’t really waterproof.

Sit down on a boat seat with gore tex rain gear and you have a chance of getting a damp rear at the end of the day. Gore Tex boots seem to keep your feet dry… for a while if your boots aren’t constantly soaked.

Waterproof gear would be a rubber suit with taped seams.

Rob G

Is there a big difference between the predator vs. hardwater striker suits for anyone that has had both?

mann4ducks

Call striker. They explain it well the membrane used in their ice/snow suits “larger mesh “size compared to gore type products I do respect their honesty when asked. I haven’t looked but was told that they were developing rain gear that had a “smaller mesh”. Understand the argument of relativity I guess if you go there all garments are “ water proof”

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’d had great luck with three years on my Striker Predator Suit. Totally waterproof after kneeling in slush for hours. I’ve also been wearing the suit hunting, snowplowing, and hiking. Certainly got my money’s worth so far, and they’re not done yet.

I’ve never had a Clam suit, but I shredded a pair of $50 Clam Ice Armor higher end gloves in a month, returned them for the same model, and ripped that new pair in one fishing trip and returned those too. All I needed to see in regards to Clam gear.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve never had a Clam suit, but I shredded a pair of $50 Clam Ice Armor higher end gloves in a month, returned them for the same model, and ripped that new pair in one fishing trip and returned those too. All I needed to see in regards to Clam gear.

Crazy. I’ve had the same pair of the high end (don’t remember the name) Clam gloves for the last 4 hardwater seasons. They are beat up, yes, but no rips or tears and I fish 2-3 times a week in them. Wonder if they have had some bad runs of them or something. Or I just got lucky.

milemark_714

Great, even the reputable companies bend the truth. Are Striker suites waterproof or not?

I’ve yet to have water come through on a 4 year old pair of Hardwater.That is rain or snow.

gonehunting

I have both the hardwater and predator. In my opinion the hardwater is more for extremely cold conditions. I wear mine on Lake Winnipeg when traveling on sleds and have buddies that wear them for fishing outside the ice house. To me it is a little stiffer in material but noticeably warmer. The predator to me is a great all around all purpose suit. You can always layer up if needed. I’ve worn mine for fall fishing in the boat also. I was fortunate to find some near 50% off or better deals when Gander Mountain first went out of business and snapped up both suits. I realize not everyone can do that. Again my opinion only but maybe others have some thoughts.

disco bobber

What is the deal with these newer floatation suits? Do they breathe better? I have a set of the original Artic Armor and they suck. No breathability. Just doing minimal stuff in them and I sweat and then am uncomfortable. I don’t think I have ever felt comfortable in them.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I haven’t worn my Predator suit in a rainstorm. But I have worn it kneeling down hole hopping in slush for hours on end and never got wet. To me, that is water proof. Because of how “waterproof” they are, I at least where the bibs every single time I am on the ice.

IMO the Predator is a versatile suit. Enough side vents that you can comfortably wear it in 40 degrees. Enough warmth that you can wear it with a sweatshirt/sweatpant layer underneath in below 0.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

What is the deal with these newer floatation suits? Do they breathe better? I have a set of the original Artic Armor and they suck. No breathability. Just doing minimal stuff in them and I sweat and then am uncomfortable. I don’t think I have ever felt comfortable in them.

I can attest that the original Ice Armor was junk. The new ones are a huge improvement. I bought the Ascent suit this year and really like it. It kept me warm in the boat up until a couple weeks ago and I’ll be testing it out on Mille Lacs this weekend in a little colder weather.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a striker climate suit. Great piece of equipment! for anything from in the boat to on the ice. Have not worn it in a rainstorm though

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

This is mostly a Striker community, but the Eskimo Lockout Suit has been great to me for 2+ years as well. I would compare it to a Predator suit. Good warmth, but also enough versatility to wear comfortably in the boat up to about 40 degrees. Mine has no signs of wear after using 2-4 times per week in the winter, and a dozen or so times in the boat each spring/fall.

It’s worth looking into for something at a slightly lower price point

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.