Ion G2 10” reviews

• gonehunting

Just wondering what peoples experiences are with the Ion G2 10” in deep ice. When we travel to Lake Winnipeg we experience 36-40” of ice at times. That is also some dirty ice. I recently purchased the 10” flighting. My plan is to bring extra blades due to dirty ice and to keep the batteries warm. Thanks in advance for any input.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

In my mission to buy the right electric I used a ION G2 8″ to cut 18″ of ice. It was a struggle. I kept having to lift the augher to clear the shavings. This coming from a 3.5 HP Jiffy Legend in 10″.

I bought a Strikemaster 40V in 10″. Zero regrets.

Ryan Overson

I bought one last year to replace my Eskimo 10″ propane for my wheel house. I bought it from Scheels online and came with a damaged blade, possibly a return. Went to the local bait store, they had blades, and we’re able to install them. Went back on the lake, called Scheels and they reimbursed me, no questions. The auger has been great, and I even had a small plastic ammo box I got as a gift, so I lined with foam, and left space for hand warmers. No hesitation or lag on thick ice. Even bought the extension for it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

In my mission to buy the right electric I used a ION G2 8″ to cut 18″ of ice. It was a struggle. I kept having to lift the augher to clear the shavings. This coming from a 3.5 HP Jiffy Legend in 10″.

8” G2 owner here, never had an issue, absolutely love it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Old man has the 10 inch and it plows through ice with no hesitation

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

take the blade cover off?

Brent Else

Hi, I have a very specific question about the ION G2… Is it variable speed, or is it pretty much just on/off?

If you’re wondering, I’m a scientist. We use ice augers to punch holes in lakes to collect water samples, but also sometimes we collect ice core samples. The core barrel we use works better at a relatively low RPM (150 I think) but ice augers usually run much faster. It would be super nice to be able to run both the auger and the core barrel from the ION power head, but probably only feasible if it’s variable speed.

Oh, p.s. I also do a fair bit of fishing! And I work in the Arctic, so if I do get one of these augers I’ll be sure to report back on its performance in very thick ice.

3Rivers

The ION G2 is not variable speed, it’s either on or off. I believe it’s about 250rpm.

What sets the ION apart from the rest (at least for now) is the light composite bit. Essentially a 17lb 10″ auger. It performs very well for a 10″ auger and I would say the best you can currently buy. I did read a few things about the new Jiffy Rogue, but the single chipper blade is going to be slower and also require a LOT more battery power. It will however be more forgiving in dirty ice in terms of blade wear.

I put the 10″ to a pretty good test last winter in about 20″ of ice. I was very pleased with it. Yeah I cleared out the shavings, but honestly in thick ice (2ft +) you should be clearing out shavings with any auger. The heavy slush will kill batteries and transmissions.

I would guess that 800″ of ice per battery charge is a pretty good estimate no matter what type of conditions you might face. Something to keep in mind is that the ION now ships with 2 4ah batteries vs the 1 6ah which I tested. I think this is a good thing because you can always have a backup ready to go. You might see fewer holes per battery, but in the end more total capacity (8 vs 6).

Here’s my video test:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.