Inflatable Life Jackets

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

My I’ve had my Onyx A-24 for about 3 years now so it was time for a recharge kit. I decided to test it before installing the recharge kit and this is how it went.

You can see one side did not open the casing. The hook and loop was too strong. When I repack it I’m going to make sure the hook and loop doesn’t have full engagement around the perimeter.

It’s a little concerning if I ever hit the water unconscious.

Unfortunately my buddy took it in slo-mo and you didn’t see me pull open the unopened section. It came out pretty easy but I never would’ve been able to do that if I were unconscious.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s odd gill. These things are tested and approved more then once.
    This is not a plug but the Float Tech’s will not allow a person to stay submerged that long (although it could be the slo mo making it seem longer)

They have 5 seconds to deploy. Every test I’ve witnessed or have conducted it sure seems like less then 5 seconds before it brings the person to the surface.

I would check with the manufacturer on this. This is a problem that’s too important to just jerry rig. IMHO

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I would check with the manufacturer on this. This is a problem that’s too important to just jerry rig. IMHO

I emailed them. Here is my inquiry:

Hello,

I have an A-24 that is now 3 years old. I decided to test the jacket in the water because I was planning on installing a new rearming kit. The jacket inflated but one side stayed shut. This jacket has never been inflated since I purchased it so this is how it was shipped.

I have video of this if interested.

Is there anything that can be done to avoid this situation when I repack and install the the rearming kit?

Is it possible something is defective?

This seems potentially dangerous if it doesn’t inflate properly when I need it.

Thanks,
    Matt Wodziak

Their response:

Hi Matt,
    Thank you for testing out your inflatable life jacket. We understand your concern, but please be reassured that your vest did perform properly. The vest in equipped with only 1 chamber in its bladder. In order to meet USCG approval, we need to use a very strong Velcro, which becomes less “sticky” with each use and so we need it to start out strong to last the life of the vest. When the vest has not inflated while wearing under water, the hook and loop may need help to fully open up upon the first inflation. Once you repack it, we do not foresee this happening again. If you were in a situation that you needed the vest and a bit of the Velcro did not give way completely, you would simply ‘help’ it along by sliding your finger to open the rest of it up. The water pressure also helps give the force needed to fully open up the hook and loop.

Please advise if you have further questions or concerns.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

This is not a plug but the Float Tech’s will not allow a person to stay submerged that long (although it could be the slo mo making it seem longer)

They have 5 seconds to deploy. Every test I’ve witnessed or have conducted it sure seems like less then 5 seconds before it brings the person to the surface.

I’m pretty sure it was less than 5 seconds. I wish I didn’t stand up after it brought me to the surface. It would’ve been nice to know if my mouth ended up in the water.

I might request they send me an additional rearming kit at no cost to test their theory.

This is exactly why I tested it. That and to make sure I armed it correctly out of the package.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good thing the first time was a test according to mfg………

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Being a type III inflatable, it is not required to turn an unconscious person over.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what they recommend but Float Tech recomments inflating them by mouth at least once per year. Wonder if you would of caught that had you tested them that way(?)

The whole Type I, II, II, V system is a mess.
    The only PFD that will turn a person over is a Type I.
    The difference between Type II and III is the amount of buoyancy. And that really doesn’t mean crap on our inland waters where rescue is relatively fast.

Also, I feel every inflatable should come with TWO arming kits. One for a test like yours so a person knows what to expect. There are many people that have bought manual inflate thinking they were auto. Just my 2 cents.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

They are sending me out another rearming kit at no charge to test their theory.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Interesting, I did the very same thing with my Onyx 24, it was time to replace so I jumped into my friends pool on the deep end. Hit the water with the intent on sinking to the bottom before it inflated and started counting the minute I hit the water, One thousand one, One Thousand and it inflated as expected, surprisingly about 1.5 seconds. I did not have any issues with the velcro and it was certainly better than the belt type where you have to put the inflated part around your neck (I tried that one a few years back). Thanks for reminding me to recheck the expiration dates.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

My onyx just deployed in the boat on its own again. First time was my fault for leaving it under the cover in the heat and humidity. This time boat was only partially covered and it was in there less than 24 hours.

Glad to see it works but changing the cartridge and pill is getting spendy…..

Arlyn Sieck

I have the same problems with my Cabelas 3500A and stearns auto life vests’ They self inflate when stored in the boat in my shed. I have removed the co 2 cartridges but afrid I might forget to put them back in.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Mine stays in th truck for those very reasons. Never deployed in the 3 years I’ve owned it.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Their reply to you is total BS!!! What if you were unconscious? How are you supposed to “help the velcro along”? I have spent a few years in customer service at my work and if I gave a customer an answer like that I’d be looking for a new job! Sorry you drown, but the coast guard made us make it like that shock

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Glad to see it works but changing the cartridge and pill is getting spendy…..

Keep it in your house. With this high humidity we’ve been having this year, those pills are dissolving.

It could be an important piece of equipment. Take care of it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They self inflate when stored in the boat in my shed. I have removed the co 2 cartridges but afraid I might forget to put them back in

Arlyn, one of these times the pill will have dissolved and when you replace the CO2 it’s going to go off…just when you’re ready to go fishing.

Never store an inflatable in your boat. The water in the hull will evaporate and with it covered create a sauna.

There is more “work” in taking care of inflatables, but then again, you aren’t trying to save your boat seat from drowning.

Mine are stored right next to my suit that I only wear to funerals.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

There is more “work” in taking care of inflatables, but then again, you aren’t trying to save your boat seat from drowning.

Then again,,,,,,,,,,,, If folks insist on storing the PFD on the boat seat, maybe requiring boats to have seat belts, would be the answer. shock

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Their reply to you is total BS!!! What if you were unconscious? How are you supposed to “help the velcro along”? I have spent a few years in customer service at my work and if I gave a customer an answer like that I’d be looking for a new job! Sorry you drown, but the coast guard made us make it like that shock

I could agree with you if I didn’t buy a bargain inflatable life jacket. Fact is that it performed as it was supposed to per it’s design. If it were designed to turn me over, I probably would’ve had to pay more for one that’s guaranteed and repeatedly tested to do so.

I didn’t so I see no reason to be mad at them. I didn’t do enough research to know what this thing was supposed to do.

You would lose your job by promising something that the product isn’t designed to do not by standing by what it was designed to do.

sticker

If we sold an automatic inflatable product that only inflated half of it and I told the customer you have to manually help the product, yes. At least I hope I would. I am not saying it has to flip you over, but it should fully inflate.

What if you went to the gas station and prepaid for $20 worth of gas. At $10 the pump shut off and the attendant said you have the suck the other $10 worth out manually. doah

I think it was a great idea to test the PFD, and now I plan to do the same this fall, I just hope I don’t have the same result.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m not sure how many manufacturers are going to put the cons of their product on the outside of the package. Probably none, unless they’re required to by law or liability.

Speaking of liability. It’s probably the reason a manufacturer wouldn’t make the claim that it turns you over. For the one case it doesn’t perform as they guarantee, you’ve lost all profit for that product.

You can’t possibly save everyone’s life. Wearing an inflatable that inflates 75% is going to save 100 times more lives than not wearing one at all.

At this point I am very satisfied with how they have responded to this. It just may be that this pfd doesn’t fit my (your) needs.

sticker

As long as you are happy with it that’s all that matters.

Thanks again for doing the test, it was a great idea!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

What Sticker said. ^^

I had to see what Float Tech says on their site for turning a person over.

ALL WEATHER LIFE JACKET
    3-Part System with Removable Life Vest

Quatic is the world’s first all-weather jacket system featuring a Float Tech® integrated and removable USCG Approved life vest. Designed for low-profile, comfortable use, the life vest can be set to automatically deploy upon submersion or deploy manually and features self-righting capabilities in case of unconsciousness. Wear the life vest alone, under the shell or unzip* the sleeves for a shore-friendly look. Wear it for fun. Wear it for work. Wear it for Life.

Float Tech Jackets are waterproof, breathable and extremely versatile.

Looks like they don’t stick their neck out too far.
    No velcro in the vest itself so that wouldn’t be an issue.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

^ what biggill said. You get what you pay for.

Charles

Yeah you know what I like my Onyx non inflatable just the plan Jane fleet farm one lol.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And that’s why they make them, ’cause not everyone wants or likes just one style.

On those days like today when it’s just too hot to wear a shirt much less a PFD, even the inflatables are hot.

Rod Bent

It works! Cabela’s PFD about 3-4 yrs old. I figured it was time to replace the cylinder. It took a few seconds to release the gas, then brought me to the surface. Happy Pappy!

Attachments:
    1. A447A459-2739-48D0-92A2-22A462ED2207.jpeg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Attachments:A447A459-2739-48D0-92A2-22A462ED2207.jpeg

Didn’t you mean to send that photo and resume to James Holst?

Rod Bent

LOL I hope the guy who gets picked has a thick skin!

Rod Bent

But seriously, wear your pfd and test it occasionally. I’ve even floated around in my regular foam pfd to see how it feels.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Received my complimentary rearming kit on Friday. Rearmed the vest on Friday too. Pretty easy.

I was a little surprised to read maintenance history disclaimer on the vest. It said that maintenance should only be performed by an approved (certified?) service technician. Do all inflatables say this?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.