Inflatable Life Jackets

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Received my complimentary rearming kit on Friday. Rearmed the vest on Friday too. Pretty easy.

I was a little surprised to read maintenance history disclaimer on the vest. It said that maintenance should only be performed by an approved (certified?) service technician. Do all inflatables say this?

I imagine their lawyers or their insurance company are behind that statement.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Float Tech have instructions on their site. They also have a service dept where you can send in the vest to have them checked out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

IX. Inspection
    A. User Inspection
    Check your PFD between outings to ensure that the CO2 Cartridge is properly
    armed; that it is free from rips tears or holes and that all seams are securely
    sewn; and all fabric, straps, buttons and zippers are still strong.
    LEAK TEST – This test should be performed every two months and at the
    start of each boating season.
    • Orally inflate the PFD and leave to rest for 12 hours.
    • If the PFD remains full of air after 12 hours the chamber is operational.
    • If the PFD deflates, the device is no longer operating. Please contact
    the manufacturer or certified inspector.

ORAL VALVE – Remove dust protection cap on the oral inflation tube.. With
    the PFD inflated, push down with tab on the cap to test valve. The Valve
    should depress easily and return to close position and reseal upon release.
    STRAPS AND LINER – Inspection should be performed each outing. Examine
    fabric liner and inflation bladder in the PFD. Examine snaps, buckles, zippers,
    attachments, and seams for fading. Fading can indicate a loss of material
    strength. For ANY signs of damage, please contact the manufacturer or
    certified inspector..

B. Certified Inspection
    Float-Tech Inc. recommends that the manufacturer or certified inspector inspect
    the PFD at least every 24 months. For a certified inspection, contact
    Float-Tech Inc. for instructions (details available where product is purchased).
    For more details about certified inspections, information can be obtained by
    calling 1-518-266-0964.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I’m bringing this old thread up from the bottom…

I’ve got 2 Cabela’s auto inflate vests that are probably 5 years old. I don’t have the paperwork anymore. How often do they need to be re-armed?

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I also have a couple of cabelas inflatables. They’re about 2-3 years old though and have a clear plastic window with a spot that says “change if red” (instead of green). I take it your models don’t have that window or just being safe rather than sorry?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

The bobbins(they set the gas off when wet) are only good for 3 years……There is a date stamped on them………

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I have never owned a inflatable but have debated many times.
    Watching videos like this makes me worried they day they are needed they wont be there for me or my wife and son.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I have an expensive Cabela’s inflatable. Yes it is comfortable to wear, but mine deployed while stored in the boat and I am finding little desire to pack it back up and replace the expensive cartridge. Not to mention wondering if the thing will work when needed.

Just thinking about finding a comfortable and nice standard life vest and go back to that when it’s cold or rough out.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I have three Float Techs that I typically use when I need to wear a jacket, during the warm summer months, I have 3 Mustang inflatables and one Onyx 24 I bought for the FW (pink) who else caries that color.

Anyways I have always tested the Float-Techs by doing what BK says, I did find one of the three Float-Techs developed a leak and has been retired to the dust bin. Never tested the Mustangs or the Onyx vests but it looks like it’s time.

One of the things that I have found also when buying rearming kits is you have to be aware of the dates on the kit, I purchased a couple kits that had to be returned because the marked expiration dates were less than one year.
    I guess in hind sight I should probably throw the expired bobbins that I have pack ratted away.

Jerry Trignor

Inflatable PFD rearm kits typically consist of:
    1 – CO2 cartridge
    1 – salt packed bobbin
    1 – green plastic indicator clip

The wholesale cost of a 24-38oz CO2 cartridge is less than $1 in quantities (search Alibaba).
    The mfg cost of bobbin can’t be more than $1 in quantities.
    An injection molded plastic clip can’t be more than a few pennies to manufacture.

The point is that the markup for rearming parts/kits is mind boggling. Rearm kits should be retailing in the $10 ballpark, not $20-$40. After a decade of being on the market, the initial inflatable PFD R&D bubble should be paid off. One can observe ample competition in inflator devices (Halkey-Roberts, United Moulders, Hammar, Chinese off-brands) as well as jacket-bladder vendors (Mustang, Onyx, et-al). The only thing I can surmise is the liability ‘insurance’ in the PFD industry must be astronomical.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.