Inflatable life jackets?

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

Can you guys give recommendations and the differences between these inflatables? Type iii vs type V?
    Never used one before.
    The Onyx A/M 24 seems reasonably priced but these and other models come in different price levels and I’m not clear on why? I understand that auto vs manual are more expensive but looking for more knowledge to be offered.
    Thanks

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I can’t help with your questions but I bought the Onyx A 24 and like it. I keep it in my truck when I’m not in the boat. Some people say to not store them in your boat compartments due to high humidity inside.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

I hear the pill type autos should not be stored in the boat compartments because the pill can slowly disintegrate which will cause it to auto-inflate in the storage compartment.

grizzly
    nebraska

h

I can’t help with your questions but I bought the Onyx A 24 and like it. I keep it in my truck when I’m not in the boat. Some people say to not store them in your boat compartments due to high humidity inside. Have u wore it in heavy rain with no issues?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Get the ones that sense water pressure. They only inflate when submerged. Rain or humidity won’t trigger them. Mine is the Cabela’s Tournament 3500. I’ve fished for hours in the rain wearing it and I stuff it in a rod locker when I’m not using the boat. It has never inflated.

milemark_714

Get the ones that sense water pressure. They only inflate when submerged. Rain or humidity won’t trigger them. Mine is the Cabela’s Tournament 3500. I’ve fished for hours in the rain wearing it and I stuff it in a rod locker when I’m not using the boat. It has never inflated.

I got the same one,good to know.Very comfortable and wearable all day(or night).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have not used mine in the rain.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not aware of a type III inflatable.

MN is following the USCG recommendation and doing away with the TYPE designation.
    Last I heard there will only be “wearable” PFD’s.

In the past, a type III was inherently buoyant, like the foam PFD.
    A Type V was the inflatable.

There is some extra cost in going with the pressure sensitive PFD’s. Check it out and be informed before making that decision.

Although I wouldn’t recommend storing any PFD below deck for any length of time, there is enough humidity (and sometime water) to set off a “pill” type inflatable or earlier then the recommended change out time of 3 years.

When you spend good money on something that your life may depend on, I would suggest taking care of it.

My 2 cents.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

U.S. Coast Guard Approved Type V Life Jacket / Personal Flotation Device (PFD) with Type III Performance

From the Onyx sales info:

What this is referring to is (going buy the old CG wording) that this will turn an unconscious person over. It performs like a type III but the CG rated it as a type V. (which must be worn to qualify as a PFD).

I need to brush up on the new laws though.

munchy
    NULL

From my understanding of the research I did of the issue is the USCG is currently working with manufacturers to eliminate the confusion in the classification system of inflatables. Before they were just placed into the broad category of Type V and maybe labeled with the use requirements. Now they will be placed into the same Type I, II, III, and V categories standard PFD’s are currently in, and if they are labeled type V they must be labeled with the use restrictions, (such as canoe/kayak use only).

I’d have to believe the Type V’s that have no use restrictions on the label could be placed in the Type III category.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

There is some extra cost in going with the pressure sensitive PFD’s. Check it out and be informed before making that decision.

Other than buying a recharge kit, what extra cost is there beyond any other type of life jacket? Mine has an indicator to show the status of the gas cylinder. Three years old, still good. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ron, the inflatable you listed has the dissolving pill (at least that’s what is states on the Cabelas website)

“The cartridge on the Cabela’s Tournament 3500 Auto PFD will need to be replaced every three years.”

” It is very important that you read the Re-Arming section in the owner’s manual.”

“The Cabela’s Tournament 3500 Auto PFD, uses a dissolving pill mechanism.
    10 months ago
    by
    CabelasExpert063”
    The arming kit for that particular PFD is $10.00 more than other inflatables.

Hydrostatic Inflator replacement kits run about $35.00. Following the re arm directions, they should be replace every 1 to 3 years as well.

Before purchasing any PFD (more so with inflatables) read the directions ON the PFD and the rearming instructions.

Some will say a person under 16 years old or 80 pounds can’t legally wear them. Most will say they must be worn to meet the CG rules.

PS I know one fella that wanted an inflatable. He bought one from Cabela’s and wore it religiously. Over a year later he thought he would take a look at the arming mechanism.

He was a bit surprise to find out the arming kit was never installed!
    I’m glad he found out by looking and not because he was in the drink and it didn’t inflate.

Inflatables are not something (I don’t care what brand) that we toss below deck and forget about until the next time they are needed or over winter. They need to be manually inflated to ensue they didn’t get poked and can hold air at least once per year. The arming colors need to be checked each time before leaving the dock. Green go, Red Stop.

For the comfort/safety they give spending ten minutes per year isn’t that much of a cost.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

So I am looking at buying an inflatable this year, and so far am looking at the Mustang Elite 28 and the Onyx A-33 or A-24.

I see the Cabelas Guidewear 3500 mentioned, are there others that you all recommend or have used?

bullcans
    Northfield MN

U.S. Coast Guard Approved Type V Life Jacket / Personal Flotation Device (PFD) with Type III Performance

From the Onyx sales info:

What this is referring to is (going buy the old CG wording) that this will turn an unconscious person over. It performs like a type III but the CG rated it as a type V. (which must be worn to qualify as a PFD).

I need to brush up on the new laws though.
    Thanks for your input BK
    And also the post last week and the video about pfd’s and tether cords.
    It really got my attention thus taking the 1st step here to shop for an inflatable pfd!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh Savage… you shouldn’t have asked! LOL!

I’ve been using the Float Tech brand for well over 8 years guiding on the sippi.
    Been in rain, snow and humidity. I did have one deploy once but that was my fault because I forgot to write down which two I changed to bobbins on. I figured it out when my FW’s eyes bugged out from the inflate. LOL!

They are designed to spread the weigh over your shoulders and will not rub your neck. I’ve had to call my clients back because they left while wearing my Float Techs.

They also can be ordered with an outer shell jacket. Inflatables must be worn on the outside of all clothing except for the Float Tech brand. The outer shell is the only clothing that is allowed over the top of their vest.

I will say they do get warm on those hot summer days when a tee shirt is too much to wear.

Good company that stands behind their product.

Attachments:
    1. Float-Tech-w-outter-shell.jpg

2. Yellow-shell.jpg

3. Float-Tech-Vest.jpg

4. Float-Tech-Vest-2.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thank You BC. I hope you will never need either!

munchy
    NULL

Inflatables are not something (I don’t care what brand) that we toss below deck and forget about until the next time they are needed or over winter.

Also to be considered a PFD, THEY MUST BE WORN! If they are not properly and securely strapped to your body they are not considered a legal PFD. I suggest having a standard PFD onboard as well because of this.

Murphy’s law, that one time you leave the dock and forget to put it on right away, the warden stops you and does a safety check. If you aren’t wearing the inflatable and have nothing else in the boat you probably will get cited.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Or we be lucky like a few weeks ago. My eye’s bugged out when we were stopped by a CO and asked about PFD’s. The owner pulled out two inflatables out of a closed compartment. shock

Which reminds me I should mention that to him.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

Can anyone tell me how comfy the Cabelas Guide wear 3500 Auto is? They are on sale right now for a pretty decent price.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Went out and shopped inflatables last year. (Late summer) Didn’t care for the way the Cabelas or Onyx brands fit. Went with the Mustang MIT. The main reason was seeing guys on Deadliest Catch and other commercial boats all seem to be wearing Mustang. Cost is a little more. But the fit is a lot better IMO. Just picked up second one over the weekend on sale at the Woodbury Gander.

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Survival-M-I-T-Activation-Black/dp/B00UWOFU4U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486999029&sr=8-2&keywords=mustang%2Bpfd%2Blife%2Bvest&th=1

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That’s really what is most important. The inflatables are so comfortable and getting so much less expensive. Just find the one that’s right for you and then wear it!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Who’s this guy?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Dave Vollmer and his grandson.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Been wearing the auto inflate life jackets for a couple of years now. Very comfortable to wear all day but a word of warning as well.
    I can tell you from first hand experience, that if you leave it in the car or truck on a hot summer day, it has an excellent chance of self inflating. Mine did.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes, I keep extra arming kits available…just in case.

I leave my three inflatables in my camper all summer. There is no heat or air conditioning when I’m not there. I know it gets well over 100 degrees in there at times. Never had one deploy accidentally.

Inspecting the “pill” and/or arming system when purchased can save the cost of a rearming kit. Moisture dissolves those pills. Humidity takes time to dissolve them enough to where they well go off accidentally.

Pills can be purchased separately and are sealed. Keep them sealed until you’re ready to use them. Also, over the winter months I take out the Co2 cartridge so if a pill would fail, it doesn’t cost me a $19. rearm kit. Just need the less expensive pill. Hasn’t happened yet, but it could.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

New definitions starting 2014 (but may take several years for the old labels to get though the systems)

Definitions

Personal Flotation Device (PFD) – a device that is USCG-approved under law.
    Throwable PFD – A PFD that is intended to be thrown to a person in the water.
    Wearable PFD – a PFD that is intended to be worn or attached to the body.

Requirements

No person may use a recreational vessel unless:
    At least one wearable PFD is on board for each person.
    Each PFD is used in accordance with requirements in the approved label.
    Each PFD is used with requirements in its owner’s manual, if the label makes reference to such a manual.

No person may use a recreational vessel 16 feet or more in length unless one throwable PFD is on board in addition to the total number of wearable PFDs required in (a).

Exemptions

Canoes and kayaks 16 feet or more in length are not required to carry a throwable PFD.
    Racing shells, rowing sculls, racing canoes, racing kayaks and sailboards are not required to carry PFDs.

Stowage

Each wearable PFD must be readily accessible.
    Each throwable PFD must be immediately available.

Clearly, with the huge number of PFDs in use today on boats, in stores, and still being manufactured, it will take some time for these changes to be seen by the boating public. One USCG representative stated recently that it might take two years for the new labeling to appear widely. This calls to mind a few questions about the impact to us as recreational boaters, sailing school owners, and sailing instructors:

What about existing Type Code PFDs that are already in use? Any USCG-approved PFD that is still serviceable (in good condition) may still be used. There is NO NEED to DISCARD EXISTING PFDs unless they are not serviceable!
    I’m still looking for the actual CFR’s.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I have had the Cabelas 3500 series for 5-6 years. Love it. Very comfortable. Wear it all day long fishing. Does not interfere with your movements. Bought the replacement dissolving bobbins off of Amazon 3 for $15. Always bring a backup regular PDF along just in case the inflatable would arm, but never had to use it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We aren’t there yet, but it’s more and more common to see anglers wearing PFD.

I hope soon it will be just be the few that aren’t wearing one.

grizzly
    nebraska

hookem do the cabelas 3500 have the capsules that have to dissolve under water preasure to go off they are on sale and look like they are good

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The Cabelas 3500 have the dissolving pill (capsule).

The pill shouldn’t be a deal breaker for anyone looking to buy an inflatable. Well maybe down the priority list.

The first thing to consider is the comfort…even before price.

If you aren’t going to be comfortable wearing it, it’s a waste of money.

I would strongly recommend trying on any of the collar type inflatables and wearing it around the store for an hour or what ever you can get away with. Many will find that they rub the neck area (some have seams on the neck surface) that will make a person uncomfortable. If you’re buying on line, go to a brick and mortar store and try one out first.

I’m not specifically talking about the 3500 mentioned above, I’m talking about all collar style PFD’s. One person won’t have a problem with the rub and the next person does.

I’m just pointing out an area a person should check before dropping down the cash.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.