Impeller change out 2008 Suzuki

• Aboxy17

Last year I bought my first outboard, 2008 4s Suzuki DF25. Great motor super quiet and has performed well. Only problem I have had is when I am at lowest RPMs possible for trolling after 10-15 minutes if it’s hot out I will start to overheat. I shut it off let it cool down for a few minutes and it is always just fine. However, I noticed my discharge stream where the water comes out of the motor is pretty weak, and thinking the obvious problem is that the impeller is bad or something is in there disrupting the flow of water. Is the impeller change out something easy to do on your own or not? Thanks for any help.

CaptainMusky

I had mine done but I have a 150. First thing to check would be removing the screens and make sure nothing is in there and then remove the hose for the telltale and blow air through it. You can do those things for free. I’ve injested a small rock that blocked the telltale and was a simple fix.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Easy to Do, done it many times on my 2008 Suzuki 115 when I had it. YouTube is where I learned to do it.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Yes, it’s pretty simple process and can be done with your average mechanics set. It’s disconnecting a couple linkage arms and removing 5-6 bolts to remove the lower unit.

I would order an impeller kits from Browns Point Marine or Precision Marine. Both have a great resource for Zuke parts.

You could obviously purchase the parts from your local dealer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Easy job should take you a hour maybe a little longer.

B-man

Even if it “looks good” swap it out.

Most manufacturers recommend changing them every 5 years, you can get by longer (depending on the conditions you run in and hours) but it’s easy preventative maintenance to do and doesn’t cost a lot of money.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

Funny this popped up. Exact same thing happened to me with my yamaha this weekend

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have changed them in every outboard I have owned but never had any go bad.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Yes, you should change the water pump, but there are other possible causes for you overheating symptoms.

Your Suzuki has a thermostat. That’s why you noticed the cooling indicator stream slowing down and less water spraying out at idle. As the engine cools down and if RPMs are low the engine doesn’t need as much water flow to stay cool.

I would certainly test and probably just replace the thermostat. Mud and debris can get packed inside the thermostat housing so make sure you clean everything carefully. I would also thoroughly flush the water passages.

Aboxy17

Great info, Thanks for all the responses!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.