Hey Chris G – “cheap” IA ice house

• iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Chris asked about ideas for an inexpensive portable for his guest. I suggested what some use here in IA. This is an old chemical tank. This one is set up as a permanet, I know they have a stove in it. Others just build them up on skies to move them around. Some had asked for a photo so here you go. Not sure if you guest would take to sitting in a “tank”, but they work great and not too heavy when empty

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s pretty cool. Do they insulate them?

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Always depends on how portable they want. I have seen with “spray on” foam insulation, wood burner, seats etc. Others just the shell and bring own chairs heater. This one has some insulation on the ceiling, small wood/charcol stove and a bench built in, but they don’t move it.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

My brother in law lives in Iowa. I think he lives in one of those year round. He had a new to him big screen TV last winter. It was the same TV he had the year before. Now he just sits closer to it. unless the Hawkeye basketball team is on then he sits further away.

silverstreak
    West Union, IA

You Cheese heads are sure funny. Almost as funny as Texas Christian

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Tank Shell

Not sure I would pay $1000, but it gets me thinking…

chomps
    Sioux City IA

around here we use some of these

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Just added a friend and mine’s old shack we build in the original thread, Rainy Lake forum.

EDIT: Ice fishing Forum

spazman
    Hampton, IA

Next time your down to Beeds Lake you should really check that water container out. Old Giddings has really got that thing pimped out.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Tank Shell

$1000 would buy a heck of a lot on this site. This particular page has their factory seconds, sure they have a flaw but do you need one to be perfect? I am sure there are other sites, I just did a search for “1000 water tank” and in five minutes I found this page.

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

Tank Shell

That’s also if you want a used chemical tank, that you have no idea what it was previously used for and still has in the sidewalls. You should see the prices of the new ones!!!!!!

arklite881south

Hey thanks guys!! I will say it is an interesting concept. I’m going to need something with nice skids to trek. Funny how creative guys are though!!

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

Cris – on the bigger lakes, guys build them with great skies to move them around. IF I get a chance I will photo one on skies for you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.