Ice Shack Question.

• Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

I have a question about your name and address on your portable ice shack. I don’t have my name on my portable and was told I do need to have it on there. I know you need it on your perminate ice shack. But I know you dont need it on your portable in wisconsin now im a wi. resident and do I need to have my name on it if im fishing the mississippi river??? Would love to know the ruling on this thanks guys.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I was given a written warning from MNDNR for that very thing. I’m a Wisco resident, but because I parked in MN and fished boundary waters, I need to follow their rules. Seemed petty to me, but I’m not a licensed DNR official.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

All I know is that here in Minnesota all I need is my DNR numder and it must be atleast 2″ high.That was straight from the Mn DNR office. #3 is the safest to use.

We need to have 1 of the 3 on ours in Mn,if not left unattended.

1) complete name and address,

2) driver’s license number

3) the nine-digit Minnesota DNR number on the license of the owner plainly and legibly displayed on the outside in letters, and figures at least 2 inches in height.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

for a portable shack you need 1 of the 3 visible in 2″ letters on the outside.

MN DL Number
    MN DNR Number
    Name and Address

if the shack is going to be left out overnight, then you need to have it licensed.

damman
    Pepin county Wi

Quote:

In MN i don’t think you need anything on portable shacks.

The Mn warden was out yesreday on pool 4 giving warnings to people who did not have their name and adress on portables. I f you are on the Mississippi river and cross the so called imaginary boundaries ( Wis, Mn sides of the river which do show on a GPS) onto the Mn side of the river you do need your name on your portable.

Haas77
    Hastings, MN

Just talked a MN CO about this. Perch_44’s post above is ABSOLUTELY correct!

g-no
    Minnesota

In looking at both Wisconsin and Minnesota Fishing Regulations: Wisconsin says their residents must have the name and address on the outside of shelters if fishing on border waters, even portable shelters. Minnesota rules state that the angler must follow the identification rules of the state for which the angler is licensed (Wisconsin Anglers must have Wisconsin resident license if fishing border waters with MN) So, the answers are this:

MN residents fishing WI/MN border waters must have one of the three; Full name/address, DL #, DNR #

WI residents fishing WI/MN border waters must have name and address.

Good Luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.