Ever use the Automatic Ice Fisherman?

• haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I saw this on one of the shows yesterday.
    http://www.automaticicefisherman.com/
    I am not promoting them just wondering if anyone has used one and what do you think? I like the idea but not sure if this is a good product or not?
    Thanks for any input.

turk802
    Twin Cities

I think it’s a great idea, but in Minnesota, it is illegal because of the setting the hook part – please correct me if I am wrong, but at the last winter ice fishing show, I mentioned it to the DNR guy there and he said NO WAY.
    Let me know if I am wrong.
    Turk

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I just emailed the company so I will let you know what I find out.
    Would I be OK if I only used it on border water? I am a MN resident. Just wondering because I have no idea?

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Haywood

I concur w/ the the “illeagal” part. Its basicly a “slammer” – saw a In-fisherman article on it.

They are actually fairly simple to build. I was
    going to do so, but checked w/ my local MN DNR
    CO. The answer was no.

I would suggest you have a chat w/ the officers
    on both sides of the water you will be fishing.

UG

scottsteil
    Central MN

It is a great concept at first glance. The down fall of it is the Big Red Bobber has to be on the line to trigger a strike. I would like to see the unit in action when it is below zero. I have a feeling that bobber will be a real issue when it starts to freeze up.

I do like the concept, and it is the closest I have seen yet to getting it right. I am not sure of if it is legal in MN or not.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Yikes! I never knew these things were illegal in Minnesota. On the other hand , I actually live in Minnesota (the state where nothing is allowed) so I should have guessed. I built a small “slammer” rod holder that I used for Crappie fishing. My dead-stick rod worked great with it. Used a small Aberdeen wire hook and a single split shot with a minnow. Ah well, live and learn.

Rootski

kerry1fisher

This is Kerry Paulson from the Automatic Ice Fisherman I understand there are some questions about the legality of the new product called the Automatic Ice Fisherman. I went to the Minnesota dept of natural resorces and asked the same question, they showed me a thirty year old rule that read something like this, spring devices that impale, hook or capture fish are prohibited methods of taking fish. My question to them was what about a down rigger they are used in the state of Minnesota and they said that a down rigger does not ack as a spring device that hooks the fish, instead it works more like the flag on a tip up. I charter fish for salmon and I know the fishing rod on a down rigger aids in setting the hook in a fish. so they should be illeagel to. No one knows why the rule was set in place. I also got a Minnesota fishing regulations booklet and it did not say anything about hook setting devices being illeagal or to check the states DNR rule book for further laws, unless I missed it. Hope fully someone can tell me the difference between a down rigger and my automatic fisherman!!!! They both have a mechanical device that aids in hooking fish the rod. And if you think about it when you are fishing the rod in your hand could also be a spring device, so if anyone has a few sents I would like to hear from you and if you want to use the Automatic ice fisherman please help in getting this problem rectified with your states DNR offices by letting your voice be heard thanks Kerry Automatic Ice Fisherman, LLC

twedul
    Holmen, WI

Is it legal in Wisconsin? Just wondering since I would like to try it out. Thanks. Ted

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

First off, Welcome to IDA Kerry! Take a look around I think you will find this site as fisherman friendly as they come.

Also
    Thanks for the input,
    Is this a rule from MN DNR that has not been thought threw or has become outdated?
    My hope is that someone can clear this up for the rest of us?
    I like the idea of being able to use a rod/reel set-up for my tip-ups.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I also think that is cool…i was thinking about trying to build one once but i decided not to. I always thought that would be a good idea..But i think it would take some of the fun out of it. I would rather go conventional and jig em up and flag em up!

kerry1fisher

HI Ted no they are legal in Wi. Minnesota is the only state in the nation other than New Jersey that says they are illeagal and no body can tell me why. In my opinion it is safer for the fish because the fish don’t have to swallow the bait to get hooked. And it ads to the excitement because you can see the rod bouncing up and down and you knoew you have a fish on you dont have to guess.

kerry1fisher

Hi Scott this is kerry from the automatic fisherman. the bobber does not get any water in it it is entirely out of the water and all the guides on the rod catch the water before it gets to the bobber the only disadvantage is you have a exposed hole so you have the scim out you hole more often or get a nice heated hole cover for the unit. I have used it in -20 degrees and I was believe it or not catching walleyes in the cold weather it was dificult but it did it’s job. Thanks Kerry

UncleGrump
    Dodge County MN

Here is a link to the statute that
    covers methods of fishing that aren’t
    kosher in MN.

web page

Notice the “spring loaded device” section….

Also notice that the commisioner has it in his/her
    authority to authorize the use of spring devices, its
    not something the legislature has to authorize. Ergo –
    enough heat on the DNR Commissoner might do the trick.

But – before you all rush out and attempt to apply that
    heat – think about this. We’re all supposed to be sportsmen* and women – right? Isn’t part of the “sport” doing it yourself – feeling the hit, setting the hook, landing the fish?

UG

*And I admit that I once considered building one of these…. I find that the feeling the hit is much more
    adicting these days. Big fish – small fish – it doesn’t matter – I enjoy the feeling the “thunk” that comes when the fish takes the bait or lure.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Kerry, I do not see how it could be illegal in MN because it contains a release mechanism not a “hook setter”. You know what I mean. Same concept as a downrigger or planer board. You may want to look at how you present the concept to the DNR.

As for the bobber. I still have concerns over the bobber portion of the unit. After years of guiding on the ice, I have learned things freeze up. I know the bobber does not go in the water, I have seen the adds. If water passes through the guides, which is going to happen, the bobber will have to collect ice also, just like any other guide on the rod. Especially with the bobber portion exposed to the air continuously. This is the only issue I see with the unit.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“Kerry, I do not see how it could be illegal in MN because it contains a release mechanism not a “hook setter”.

Scott,

The device I built had the rod bent over and “loaded”. When fish would hit, the rod would whip back and set the hook. It didn’t work every time (I miss sometimes too) but it worked really well with Crappies. So it can be argued that it does automatically set the hook. On the other hand, Kerry’s point is 100% valid. If you’ve ever seen a down rigger in action you know that the long downrigger rod is cranked down so that it will whip back when released. Basically the same thing.

Rootski

hunterdude

Just saw one today at Sportsmans Warehouse, it was the AF33MR with no reel for $49.99 like on the website. I’m interested in seeing how they would do up here.

grego1

I use it in WI. It works well. The hook set if set right is much quicker that my reaction time. I use it as a dead stick in the shack with no bobber. The only thing is if you have finicky fish that you need to tease to get a good hook set you will probably not get a set. On aggressive fish it will work better than you, for reaction time to set the hook.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey guys! Welcome to In-Depth Outdoors!!

Good info! I think the MN DNR does an awesome job 95% of the time…it’s just that the 5% is well…unexplainable at times.

Alex Anderson
    Minneapolis, MN

I hate to wake the dead. (this post is a couple years old) but… is the automatic fisherman illegal in minnesota or not?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think it is kind of silly that you can use a tip up where the fish has a better chance of swallowing it. To me this seems like a better tool than a tip up if you are a selective harvest guy like me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Still against the law Alex. (and I’m guessing when it pops up in the winter of 2012 it will be too.)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.