New Power Noodle! not that special

• John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’ve seen so many comments about Thorne Bros Power Noodles that I got a custom rod for myself and got to use it the first time today. I got a 26″ length with the REC outdoor guides, and used a 4mm tungsten jig on 3# line. It was a tough test on finicky crappies that hit on the way up. I do like the action and how the very fast tip leaves lots of backbone to fight a fish.
    I am not impressed with the bite sensitivity of the tip though – it’s not soft enough. With the relatively heavy jig, the tip only bent like a quarter inch. So when the fish bump the jig on the way up, I couldn’t even see the tip move, but against the black background of my Frabill wall I could see the line go slack. If I used a typical lead jig in the 1/64 to 1/100 weight, I doubt the tip would bend at all. When gills bit I could definitely see it bend down so it has good sensitivity that way.
    In the TB video they recommend sizes up to 1/32 oz. That wouldn’t work at all for detecting bites on the way up.
    On the other hand, my cheapo rod with the Easy-Bite balance arm telegraphs all those slight upward bumps and makes them obvious. As klunky as it looks, I have yet to find a better solution.
    Are my expectations unrealistic for the noodle? Would the St Croix rod with spring be a better choice?

John S.

riverruns
    Inactive

Can you put a spring bobber on your TB rod? I have one on both of mine and they seem to work fine. I use the “perch” spring bobber for my heavier jigs.
    Shawn

BBKK
    IA

Power noodle is not very sensitive at all with up-bites. My 30″ TUC precision noodle is very sensitive with the up-bite. I also fish 1/80 and 1/100 most of the time. With a 1/100 and a #10 ratso body the tip is loaded and I can see the up-bite. With a 4mm tungsten its crazy, darn near overloads the rod (but not quite). Probably 3/4″ to 1″ bend with a 4mm and waxworm.

I use 3# sufix ice magic.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Power noodle is not very sensitive at all with up-bites. My 30″ TUC precision noodle is very sensitive with the up-bite. I also fish 1/80 and 1/100 most of the time. With a 1/100 and a #10 ratso body the tip is loaded and I can see the up-bite. With a 4mm tungsten its crazy, darn near overloads the rod (but not quite). Probably 3/4″ to 1″ bend with a 4mm and waxworm.

Do you get a text or email when the word Marcum or TUC is mentioned on this site?

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

I’ve seen so many comments about Thorne Bros Power Noodles that I got a custom rod for myself and got to use it the first time today. I got a 26″ length with the REC outdoor guides, and used a 4mm tungsten jig on 3# line. It was a tough test on finicky crappies that hit on the way up. I do like the action and how the very fast tip leaves lots of backbone to fight a fish.

I am not impressed with the bite sensitivity of the tip though – it’s not soft enough. With the relatively heavy jig, the tip only bent like a quarter inch. So when the fish bump the jig on the way up, I couldn’t even see the tip move, but against the black background of my Frabill wall I could see the line go slack. If I used a typical lead jig in the 1/64 to 1/100 weight, I doubt the tip would bend at all. When gills bit I could definitely see it bend down so it has good sensitivity that way.

In the TB video they recommend sizes up to 1/32 oz. That wouldn’t work at all for detecting bites on the way up.

On the other hand, my cheapo rod with the Easy-Bite balance arm telegraphs all those slight upward bumps and makes them obvious. As klunky as it looks, I have yet to find a better solution.

Are my expectations unrealistic for the noodle? Would the St Croix rod with spring be a better choice?

John S.

The TB powernoodle is a bit heavier then a spring , but you can work a tight pound with it. Not gonna do that with a spring. I guess I don’t understand why a 1/32 wouldn’t work at all? I run 3,4,and 5mm tungsten and can see most up-bites on every powernoodle I’ve owned.(too many)

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what do you want for it? Just broke my panfish rod today.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Do you get a text or email when the word Marcum or TUC is mentioned on this site?

Nobody mentioned it before me smart

It sounds like he fishes just like I do, and IMO the TUC noodle is the best for those baits. He didnt like the rod he got so I suggested a new one. What do you want me to say? Power noodle rocks, you’re an idiot.. live with it? No, I suggested a rod that I think will suit him perfectly since obviously the PowerNoodle did NOT!

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Wow

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

And in the red corner we have b bk! And in the blue corner we have travp! Are you ready? Please chime in Micheal Buffer if you’re on ido tonight.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Ice rods blanks are just like open water rod blanks, just because a maker says it is a certain action it doesnt mean it fits the protocol of that certain action.

Some noodle rods have a very soft tip action and some noodle rods are very very soft, just like NOT ALL MLF action rods are the same,

Every maker has their own specification and standards of the actions of their blanks.

I have built rods for 12 years and have used SEVERAL different brands of blanks and they are NOT all the same.

I would talk to the maker of your noodle rod about your concerns and see what they can do to fit YOUR needs as the rod user, MOST ALL custom rod makers are willing work with the buyer.

Please post the results after you talk to them.

JMHO Jeff

fisherman-andy

I have long learn that no noodle or spring will show you a light bite or up bite. Dont rely on visual alone.

Get yourself a quality UL solid carbon blank on a carbon fiber handle if possible. Then learn the likes of tightlining.

milemark_714

Quote:

I have long learn that no noodle or spring will show you a light bite or up bite. Dont rely on visual alone.

Get yourself a quality UL solid carbon blank on a carbon fiber handle if possible. Then learn the likes of tightlining.

I also agree,especially after watching the bite on Randy W’s LX9.A lot of fish took the bait and had little to no movement when doing so.A second too late meant no fish.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

26 inches is to short a rod, 30 to 32 inches is more gooder. next, have you ever watched fish hit a jig on camara??? jig and waxworm can disappear in the fishes mouth and spit it out and the line and rod tip will not move at all. were you outside in cold weather when this happened??? cold temps will affect the action of a graphit rod

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I agree with trumar on the variances of blanks. But users can have a vary different perception on what a particular action should feel like also. When buying custom rods, your giving a premium price for labor and should discuss with the builder what and how your using it.

I had a variety of the T.B.’s in my hands for the first time this weekend at the get together. As a fellow custom rod builder looking at them, I was pleased with the weight and sensitivity. I did notice all the model rods I was checking out were laid out very well for feel. A lot of similarities to a well built medium -moderate/fast.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Quote:

26 inches is to short a rod, 30 to 32 inches is more gooder. next, have you ever watched fish hit a jig on camara??? jig and waxworm can disappear in the fishes mouth and spit it out and the line and rod tip will not move at all. were you outside in cold weather when this happened??? cold temps will affect the action of a graphit rod

Puddlepounder I agree 28″ minimum.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Wow

Hahahaha!

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

When ice fishing I prefer visual fishing since I usually have light gloves on. But with open water I do vertical jig with my finger on the line and it’s all feel. I’m very tuned in on that.
    I heard how ultra sensitive the noodle rod is and it doesn’t live up to my expectation of ultra sensitive. In response to another about watching fish on a camera, I have done that with my Easy-Bite outfit and that indeed telegraphs when a fish so much as bumps the bait. That’s my level of expectation. Perhaps that’s not realistic for a noodle rod. When it comes to rods, I have learned to try and find one to test before spending big bucks on something I might be disappointed in.

John S.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Rod length doesn’t affect sensitivity of the tip. The noodle is fiberglass, not graphite.
    Yes, I have watched fish on a camera with my Easy-Bite outfit and that rig, despite it klunky looks and freeze-up shortcomings, telegraphs when a fish so much as nips the tail or bumps the lure. But I’m searching for a more elegant solution.

John S.

Sandbags
    SE Wisconsin

I use a noodle rod and I am not sure how people are having a difficult time detecting ‘up’ bites. I spend a ton of my time on ice crappie fishing and it has never been a problem seeing negative bites- with or without a spring bobber. Are people not watching the line while they watch the rod tip? Pretty distinct difference between a tight line with a jig and the line going completely limp when a crappie moves up with the bait. watching the line is key. I also exclusively use high-vis line for easier line sight. I use the TUC noodle and before that the St Croix Legends.

mike ice

X2 on what Sandbags said. line watching and spring bobber are key. I’ve also gone from high end UL rods back to soft UL fiberglass with or without a spring bobber = more fish hooked/landed and no ripped off crappie lips.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

And in the red corner we have b bk! And in the blue corner we have travp! Are you ready? Please chime in Micheal Buffer if you’re on ido tonight.

Its nice to be the spectator for once. But I got back with my popcorn and they were all done.

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Here’s your solution, buy an underwater camera. There is no perfect rod.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

You can always build your own St. Croix clone spring bobber. All you need is a #8 one legged rod guide, 1/8″ ID rubber grommet and the St. Croix Spring.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Ice rods blanks are just like open water rod blanks, just because a maker says it is a certain action it doesnt mean it fits the protocol of that certain action.

Some noodle rods have a very soft tip action and some noodle rods are very very soft, just like NOT ALL MLF action rods are the same,

Every maker has their own specification and standards of the actions of their blanks.

I have built rods for 12 years and have used SEVERAL different brands of blanks and they are NOT all the same.

I would talk to the maker of your noodle rod about your concerns and see what they can do to fit YOUR needs as the rod user, MOST ALL custom rod makers are willing work with the buyer.

Please post the results after you talk to them.

JMHO Jeff

You are correct. I talked with Lonnie at Thorne Bros and based on my issues he said I would be better served with a tripwire rod. So I just need to return the custom noodle and he’ll exchange for a custom tripwire. Wow, I didn’t expect that given the custom noodle has a personalized message. I should have just talked to the expert when I was first deciding what to buy.
    He also pointed out that if I like the tripwire, I can bring my old rods in and have the titanium tip added to them.

John S.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I line watch for an up bite (gotta love my baitcaster set up for this), but also watch the flasher as well. There are times when the fish mark, overshadows the lure and then sometimes you see a quick flick upwards on the flasher display from the fish during the up bite. In comparison to an aggressive fish with an up bite, that fish will probably move like a whole foot or more on the flasher.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.