After dark jigging?

• Dream’n
    South St. Paul, Mn

I have had a permanent shack on Mille Lacs for ten years now. We often jig for eyes right up till bedtime. Our success rate though is quite low. We see fish on the finder but they often don’t commit unless its a pout .
    Anyone have a “secret” bait for after dark? We generally use glow in the dark spoons.
    Thanks Dream’n

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

We jig them in with glow spoons with rattles or anything that makes noise. If they don’t commit quickly we slow things way down and just wait for the rattle reels to go off. If we lose the fish we’re marking we start all over.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

IMHO
    waste of time
    Fresh bait on a hook is the only thing that has worked for us

But i’m no James Holst

nathan_schott
    Cheboygan MI

i’ve had similar issues on lakes in Michigan. they come in really aggressive and just wont commit they leave and then we get a flag outside the shack. one time we even forgot to bring out the auger out so my buddy used the end of his skimmer to chip out a hole about two feet from some open holes we were fishing in the shack with and we had a fish in on the vex and it left we heard the flag go up about ten seconds after the fish left the screen. so we go smarter and one of us would jig a glowing rattle spoon and the other would dead stick a shiner with a slip bobber. the bobber won the battle 9 times out of ten. try the fish both and see what happens in the shack

Josh Runksmeier
    Pequot Lakes, MN

If the jig is getting them in it’s worth it

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

I find that enticing them after dark with a spoon or blade bait will attract them to come take a look and I would also say 9 times out of 10 the dead stick will catch the fish. During the day I jig with a spoon or blade bait and I would say that out fishes the dead stick significantly. Just my experience though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.