Door County Whitefish

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Spent last weekend fishing for whitefish in Door County, Wi. This was my 1st time ice fishing for these guys, and it won’t be my last. WE had a blast catching a 2 man limit in only a few hours. WE caught most of the fish in 55′ of water using pimples tipped with waxies. The bite was light, but the fish were plentiful. We fished with a guide the 2nd day from 5:15 till 6:30…we were beat. I’ve never fished with a guide who worked so hard to keep us on fish!

If you’re looking for action…check out the whitefish in Door County!!!
    Justin

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Glad you had a good trip… I missed going up this year, but with the big shifts they have had with ice, and the timing never made it. Most of the guys are starting to say season is done now after the big ice break a few days ago, and all the rain/snow now.

I was really looking to use my new Marcum camera for the first time up there… 50′ of clear water water would be great. When I was there last year in 20-30 catching them, if in the shack, I could look down and pretty much sight fish if the current settled for a little bit.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

What is it about Door County that seems to grow monster fish of all species? I’ve read about it for years, it must be time to get it on the bucket list.

woody_036
    Spooner, Wi

Quote:

What is it about Door County that seems to grow monster fish of all species? I’ve read about it for years, it must be time to get it on the bucket list.

I think Chequamegon Bay up by Ashland/Washburn WI area on Lake Superior is the same way Door County and Green Bay is. Large fish of all species and clear deep water really has me excited to give it a try.

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

It’s the FORAGE in the Great Lakes…

phishirman
    Madison, WI

went up last year and had a blast with the whitefish. Regrettably, I didn’t make up this year with the sketchy ice. It’s definitely something that everyone should experience at least once.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

9 of us just got back from Green Bay (Sand Bay) Whitefishing .When we got up Sun. morning the guide and resort owner Dale S. said all his shacks broke off on a ice flow and he was trying to figure away to save them.Tweleve hours before we were fishing in them shacks ,could have got a little exciting!

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Quote:

9 of us just got back from Green Bay (Sand Bay) Whitefishing .When we got up Sun. morning the guide and resort owner Dale S. said all his shacks broke off on a ice flow and he was trying to figure away to save them.Tweleve hours before we were fishing in them shacks ,could have got a little exciting!

I was staying at Sand Bay myself, but we were fishing with Bret Alexander…sounds like we left just in time!!

After watching the recent IDO show fishing for smallies….I’m definitely planning on going back this spring/summer. I am very seriously considering cancelling my September Rainy Lake Trip and staying in Door County instead.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

The small mouth have gotten big with the size limit all over Wi. The Wi. river between Merrill and Tomahawk has some nice ones also.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.