I believe the snow coming will really put a damper on the ice fishing

• mrpike1973

Some lakes I have been on only had 12-18 inches of ice with the top layer being refreeze. I believe this snow will definetly kill the end of the year for some. I’m done with the wheel house locally maybe up north but if we get 18 inches of snow on top I’ll be dead of a heart attack pulling my gear out. crazy I wonder how many will leave there houses out doah

Jason

If we get 12+” the season is done for the wheel houses in the southern half of the state is my thinking.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I agree. A foot or more in our area will likely end it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Three inches on Wednesday and maybe half an inch on Thursday for my area. Ice varies from 5 inches to 16 inches top inch or two is refrozen.
    I have switched from ATV to walking out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m done with ice this season. Until our annual south dakota late season trip. I’m back in the boat. This is the first year I haven’t been crazy about ice fishing.

Brittman

The ice is pretty slick right now with an inch plus of rain and freeze. What Mahtfire said on the other thread. Better have ice cleats.

I am seeing 18 inches of ice on most lakes, but agree that 8 inches (maybe 10 tops) is solid “clear” ice. The rest is a mix of melted snow and frozen rain “white” ice.

We tried to get to a remove private small lake we have permission to fish. We got in, but the truck started sliding in park – pivoting on the one tire on soil. We called it, the hike in (not far, but…) would have been treacherous and got out. Fish will be there soft water time.

Drove by a couple East Metro lakes … I would say nearly everyone has indeed already packed it in. A very, very popular spot had one ice hub house out there and a random guy 4 wheeling around. Normal Sunday with drivable ice – let’s just say A LOT … dozen plus groups easy.

Right now … Crazy … (unpredictable) ice conditions, many anglers will not fish if they cannot drive – which you can if you are observant, February lull for those who adhere to fish only the same place they were before … plenty of excuses.

This winter ice season was pretty brutal on the mind and body … deep snow, unbelievable slush, now slick ice, etc… Had some really good trips through. Kept enough crappie, walleye, and perch for some good meals. Even some nice sunnies. Released plenty more – most actually.

I guess I am probably done also except for an annual March trip.

Brittman

I really enjoy this site. Learn a lot on equipment discussions, etc… spending a little too much on upgrades and lures, but that is part of the grand plan. grin

Third winter back focused on ice fishing … only getting better despite the conditions.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This winter has been good for a lot of fisheries giving them a break. It’s been tough on many bodies of water for those who will only drive out some sort of vehicle or machine.

I saw that a couple resorts on Mille Lacs were suggesting they would be pulling off big skid shacks for the season this week before the snow and blowing, when many have only been out 3 weeks. That’s an expensive 3 weekends of fishing for many. A guy down the road here has a tandem 24’ wheelhouse. He had towed it to LOTW x2 trips so far as of last week and once to URL.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Had my best outing of the season on Sat. We caught almost endless sunfish in the 8″-9.5″ range as well as a limit of nice crappies mixed in. Was looking forward to getting back out again next weekend. All this snow forecasted may make that difficult. A buddy and I always spend the final weekend of Pike season out chasing some pike to make up a big batch of pickled fish. This year that may be rather difficult as well. Mother nature sure is not real kind sometimes. maybe we will get lucky and the weather Terrorist will be wrong about the amount.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I saw that a couple resorts on Mille Lacs were suggesting they would be pulling off big skid shacks for the season this week before the snow and blowing, when many have only been out 3 weeks

I was at Hunters on Saturday afternoon and they were pulling some big ones off the lake and staging others to be pulled. If you had a big skid house this year was a rough one for sure.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This winter has been good for a lot of fisheries giving them a break. It’s been tough on many bodies of water for those who will only drive out some sort of vehicle or machine.

I saw that a couple resorts on Mille Lacs were suggesting they would be pulling off big skid shacks for the season this week before the snow and blowing, when many have only been out 3 weeks. That’s an expensive 3 weekends of fishing for many. A guy down the road here has a tandem 24’ wheelhouse. He had towed it to LOTW x2 trips so far as of last week and once to URL.

funny you say that….last week when i headed to the cabin, i stopped at the bowstring store just south of talmoon/Rileys the gal said this winter has been good for the fish, not so much for the fisherman!!!!1 doah

The_Bladepuller
    South end

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    I saw that a couple resorts on Mille Lacs were suggesting they would be pulling off big skid shacks for the season this week before the snow and blowing, when many have only been out 3 weeks

I was at Hunters on Saturday afternoon and they were pulling some big ones off the lake and staging others to be pulled. If you had a big skid house this year was a rough one for sure.

When I was strapping my plow SxS down this AM before heading south the try to scape the ice ruts down in Anoka Co. I heard a metallic slapping and saw Beachside pulling one of their bigger rental skid houses off ML

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I had just gotten a renewed sense of motivation after we got back to bare ice on the lakes. That just went out the window with this forecast.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

There’s still about 24 hours of snow free ice fishing. There might even be a good bite as the weather gets closer.

mrpike1973

I’m thinking my season is over now. Walking out with a Smitty sled thru 12-18 inches of snow just doesn’t seem that appealing. Has not been the greatest year for me a few good days and a lot of slow days. Bring on the boat!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m thinking my season is over now. Walking out with a Smitty sled thru 12-18 inches of snow just doesn’t seem that appealing. Has not been the greatest year for me a few good days and a lot of slow days. Bring on the boat!

I’m with you on this season. Been a tough one. I’m already in the last ice season bass gear hoarding mode……

mrpike1973

I’m already starting to get my summer rods already glad I’m not the only one

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

First year ever I never touched the auger or put on my ice fishing boots.

Spent too much time with hockey and the back yard rink to worry about how safe the ice was or how to get around with all the snow.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Getting hard to not be distracted by the tiller boat staring at me in the fishing storage.

Plenty of fishing (and fish) left on LOTW out of Long Point. Had to use a tracked vehicle to get at em though.

A couple more ND late ice walleyes bites left, but those trips end up being more relevant to the bourbon thread.

A nice 25” walleye out of Long Point this weekend.

Attachments:
    1. 3DCA26AF-ACF7-4E8D-B33C-2E16FC070BA9.jpeg

Aboxy17

One more week of the walleyes then late ice panfish. I can definitely feel I am getting burnt out from ice fishing. I am at 43 days of fishing this season so I will get to 50 by the end of the year. Crappie fishing was good this weekend multiple fish over 13″ Thinking about hitting the Fox River here soon but still plenty of good ice fishing left.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2073-1.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I saw that a couple resorts on Mille Lacs were suggesting they would be pulling off big skid shacks for the season this week before the snow and blowing, when many have only been out 3 weeks.

I could definitely see that removing them before this whopper comes as being proactive, because the deadline to remove them is not far off. I believe its exactly 2 weeks from today (March 6) in the southern 2/3 of the state.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I’ve only gotten out four times this winter. How many more times I will get out who knows? I was going to go on Sunday, but something came up. Today I didn’t want to deal with the wind. Still plenty of time for me to get out by Mille Lacs, and it doesn’t look like we are going to get hammered as bad.

tim hurley

Wonder how all this snow will effect my trip in the middle of March-probably too soon to tell, sounds like northern MN. will get less.

Hoyt4
    NULL

That will stink. The 3 lakes I was on this weekend in the best shape all year. No snow can go any place and drive or walk all over. Two of the lakes had hockey games going I should of brought my skates. Great shape now this snow will make it tough moving around again.

My little metro lake has more ice then the other two I was on Saturday. Those lakes only had 15 inches metro one had 20. I hate to see the season come to the end (

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This snow put 0 dampers on my fishing. Actually helped. The castle guys in the giant community all ran away. 2 of us on the lake right now

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The big snow did not hit much of the Northern half of the state. I know the Detroit Lakes and Perham area did not get all that much.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How was South Dakota?

Haven’t made it yet. And a buddy talked me back in to reality to go back ice fishing locally

Erik Swenson

funny you say that….last week when i headed to the cabin, i stopped at the bowstring store just south of talmoon/Rileys the gal said this winter has been good for the fish, not so much for the fisherman!!!!1

X2 Glenn! rotflol

I’ve only ventured out on the lake once this year. Waiting for that first good warm week to melt everything down and make it easy to get around.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

It looks like March is going to be a lot like January and February in the temperature dept with a lot of days in the 20’s and low 30’s here up towards Mille Lacs. Spring is on hold until further notice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.