I believe the snow coming will really put a damper on the ice fishing

• Ian Padron

You Midwest boys need to get some skis!

I’ve skinned in on my downhill set-up a few times this winter out in Montana, absolute blast and you’re guaranteed to see a grand total of zero other anglers.

CaptainMusky

You Midwest boys need to get some skis!

I’ve skinned in on my downhill set-up a few times this winter out in Montana, absolute blast and you’re guaranteed to see a grand total of zero other anglers.

That sounds too much like work. Pass.

Ryan Schwartz

Just an odd year. It was the earliest I had been able to get out on the ice, but the ice and snow conditions made it tough as the winter progressed to get out without feeling like I was going to keel over walking out with my gear. Pretty much checked out of ice fishing this season at this point. I don’t even have an interest in consuming any ice fishing video content online. Haven’t been on the ice since the end of January and can count the number of times I got out this season on one hand. Fish were biting, but nothing worth noting. If we have another season like this, I might consider selling my gear and getting out. Too much invested into it for stuff that doesn’t get used much.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I would have gone out this weekend, but it looks like walking out would be a pain right now. Hardly anybody is out in the Platte/Sullivan area this weekend. We are supposed to get a couple more inches tonight, with more snow later in the week. I can’t catch a break with this weather making things more work than it’s worth.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was finally able to drive on a lake this weekend. Sure was nice fishing by the truck and not pulling all my gear out.

Brittman

Finished the season early this week way up north. Fishing was good (not great) but came home with a possession of walleye and sauger (well now you know the lake). Son outfished his dad … kids sometimes fail to realize most dads look at that as a sense of pride not disdain.

Put all the gear up on the basement shelves this afternoon (batteries fully charged and disengaged) … sad day kind a … even if the season was a total grind.

As most all of my ice fishing gear gets upgraded … the better gear now gets stored away nicely in the basement vs. the corner of the garage or garage rafters. Heck even the electric ice auger has a place next to the gun cabinet.

Gregg Gunter

We cancelled our trip to Red this weekend. Figured it might be tough to get off the lake tomorrow. But we fished yesterday and spent the night at cabin by Sandstone. Marked fish all day but they were picky. Had enough for an appetizer!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I couldn’t get out yesterday and there’s no possible way I could get out today.

Attachments:
    1. 7230FD90-8038-483C-8AE9-DF4C0589B845-scaled.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I couldn’t get out yesterday and there’s no possible way I could get out today.

frown bawling Yikes… I was planning on heading up next weekend!! doah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

NO MAS!!!
    picked up another 6+ today officially ending my season. cry

Attachments:
    1. No-mas-scaled.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Well that really bites the big one EPG!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

It is pretty, and with each pour of bourbon it gets prettier wink

Iowaboy1

For crying out loud EPG, tell Jack Frost to quit packing his fish whistle full of
    8EFE28AEBA5BFD44!!!!
    Sheesh!!!

olas88

And now there is more snow coming…

Brittman

There were a few people (maybe a half dozen groups) on White Bear today as I drove by … some are driving out … most are parking on the ice near shore. Season presses on for those that are diehards.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

There were a few people (maybe a half dozen groups) on White Bear today as I drove by … some are driving out … most are parking on the ice near shore. Season presses on for those that are diehards.

Yeah I haven’t put my gear away yet but I have no motivation to go out anymore. I’m ready for some warm weather.

Incidently I’m outside smoking a cigar and having a pour of scotch and the sun feels so good. Those southern winds are rejuvenating

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Fished two west metro lakes last Tuesday and Wednesday. Drove out on each. Other vehicles were out when I got to each lake. Ice/landings in good shape.Some slush from melting snow. Checked another today and 4 vehicles out. Been having good to very good luck. Bluegill on one lake and crappies on the other. May go tomorrow.

Gregg Gunter

Lots of ice on Mille Lacs. Anymore and I would need an auger extension.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I am ready and waiting to get out. Been sledding the last few months. Once that’s over and the snow melts back Ill be fishing hopefully. Will be funny ice fishing in April but Im game.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Incidently I’m outside smoking a cigar and having a pour of scotch and the sun feels so good. Those southern winds are rejuvenating
    [/quote]

That sounds fantastic!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got out yesterday. The ice condition were fine, the fishing was not. Not real sure why as this lake has been good the last few weeks. We were a little worried about the water and slush on the lake as my buddy had a hard time last wed. The water on the roads had all froze back up hard. Still some slush pockets in a few areas, but overall not bad. Lots of ice left, but even with the snow cover it seems really soft and water logged. Once the snow cover is gone I think the ice will melt rather fast. Looking at the forecast for the Detroit lakes area there is not a 40 Deg. in the forecast from now thru April 3rd. Lot of the nighttime lows are in the Teens and low 20’s. Unless that forecast changes, we will still have 2-3 more weeks of good ice. In that area anyway.

Nodakk

Did some trail riding around the Brainerd area on Sunday. Went across some popular lakes and didn’t see a soul. I will be out this week/weekend and should have the lake to myself.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I tried the “double dip” this weekend hitting the ice one last time and fishing from a boat in the same outing.

My buddy runs a surface drive rig for waterfowl that doubles as a fishing rig for backwaters. We launched in the channel and headed to a couple iced in sloughs and set tip ups for perch on 9″ of decent ice. It was slow until the sun got up higher and things warmed up. We ended up keeping 10 jumbo perch each with no real monsters, but everything 10-13″. On the way back, we noticed some of the ice sheet on Pepin had broken loose from an area we like to fish for perch as well. We had 2 open water rods total in the boat and a couple slip bobbers to launch out and try our luck. We watched quite a few bobbers get taken under the ice sheet by more jumbos before calling it a day.

Most of my ice gear was retired Sunday evening and put up into storage. I’ve got a couple rods and tip downs out in case we decide to plank onto the ice one more time here for more perch. The forecast is going to really increase the melting, runoff, and flow for the river in the next week though.

Tim Sladek

Lots of ice on Mille Lacs. Anymore and I would need an auger extension.

Gregg, How is travel on Mille Lacs? Can I get around with a Polaris Ranger?

Gregg Gunter

I only saw snowmobiles. The snow was wet at the bottom. As we stayed in one spot it became slushy. I walked over to a former icehouse spot that was drifted shut. I stepped in an icehole under 2’ of snow that hadn’t refroze. I have no experience with snowmobiles/atv etc. I’m thinking wheels would get stuck. We went out of Castles Resort on Isle Bay.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Went out yesterday late afternoon and fished til dark on Tonka. Six other vehicles on the bay. Fish were a little deeper and not as aggressive but still brought a 12″, couple 11s and several 10″ crappies topside. They were 70-80 ft from where I caught them last week. Gotta love LiveScope to help locate them. Ice in very good shape. Runoff will start affecting the access later this week. Pics are the 12 and one of the 11s. The 12 has a small jigging spoon deep in its mouth. I thought at the solstice, 4:24 pm, something might happen with the bite, but meh. By the way, the Li’l Dipper ruler is accurate.

Attachments:
    1. 11-scaled.jpg

2. 12-scaled.jpg

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I think we are on snowstorm #10 since this thread was started, with #11 coming this week. Ridiculous. It does look like the cycle we have been in may finally break down after that.

CaptainMusky

I believe we are starting to see signs that the trend is going to break, but looking at my long range forecast the nightly lows are still below freezing so that really slows the melt down. The highest temp I saw was 44 with mostly in the low 40s to upper 30s.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.