HD duramax all terrain tires

• bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I have a 2012 Chevy duramax with Mickey thompson 305/55/20 tires that are to loud and throw to many rocks up. Towing my boat last year I put several small rock chips on the front and even blew the windshield out in Canada. I run custom heavy duty rubber mud flaps across the back of the truck with the hitch as well. I purchased a new skeeter Mx 2025 2 weeks ago and really want to avoid rock chips and breaking the windshield as much as I possibly can. I also want a tire with a LOT less noise for the long drives I have coming. So I’ve decided I’m going to go down to all terrain instead of mud terrain. I wanted feedback from others with heavier duty trucks. My truck weighs exactly 8k lbs empty and I want a hard rubber tire that will last with good tread but not to aggressive for noise vibration and throwing rocks. So far most my research has pointed at the nitro terra grappler G2 tires. But I’m open to others feedback. I know I’m asking for a lot I just wanna find the best all around tire to meet my needs and I want good traction in the winter on snow and ice as well. Ive heard the BFG tires are a softer rubber that will wear very fast on my heavier truck so I have ruled those out. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also no I don’t want to add the front bra to my boat and trailer just wanna get the best tire for my application.

Thanks for any help in advance. Here’s my truck I want it to stay aggressive looking as well.

Attachments:
    1. image-17.jpeg

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I don’t know anything about the g2, but I have Cooper st/max on my f350 and have been pleased all around.

budn
    Rothsay MN

I put the g2s on my dodge diesel last fall. Best snow and ice traction that I have had in 16 years of owning a diesel. I drive lots of gravel. They throw lots of rocks. I don’t have enough miles to know how they will last.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I’m due for tires on my truck soon as well. From past experience the cooper at3 was a good all terrain tire (had these on a dodge Dakota), the cooper st maxx is also a consideration for the heavier duty truck and the aggressive look you are going for. Have heard nothing but good things about the Hankook Dynapro atm. A cheaper consideration would be the Mastercraft courser all terrain.

Just the suggestions based off the research I have done.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Appreciate the feedback I will look into those brands some more Zach!

I put the g2s on my dodge diesel last fall. Best snow and ice traction that I have had in 16 years of owning a diesel. I drive lots of gravel. They throw lots of rocks. I don’t have enough miles to know how they will last.

How is the sound on the tires?

budn
    Rothsay MN

They are quiet.My last set of tires was the Hankook Dynapros. They were good but not the traction of the g2s.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have run the Cooper ST Maxx on a 2500hd gas. They wear really well and are not real noisy but I am a stickler on air pressure and rotating them. Anytime you have an agressive tire rotating them often is critical. Once they get heel/toe wear or what many call cupping on the tread your noise factor goes up Big Time. I plow snow and the Cooper did an excellent job.

AaronMoore

I have run Dynapros, Cooper AT3, and BF All Terrain. The AT3 have been the best on my Tundra, longest lasting by far. I will need new tires next winter and might swich up to Toyo open country. Good luck with what you go for

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would steer you to the Hankook DynaPro’s for what you want. Quiet, durable, good traction, but not rock throwing traction. If they make them in that size. I know when you get to the bigger tires, not alot to choose from. Good luck and congrats on the new Skeeter ! yay

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I also have the Cooper AT3 on my Ram 1500, best tire I have had in the last 20 years on my Ram trucks. Good traction, fairly quiet, wearing great so far, but as stated above rotate and balance.

I got them at Fleet Farm on the buy 3 get the 4th free and also got a $70 rebate and 10% off for opening a FF card and putting them on it. Paid them off right away and have not used the card since. You also get free rotate and balancing for the life of the tires.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I have had both the at and ht transforce, I think they are firestone’s. I have been happy with both. I changed to the HT’s as I don’t go off roading to much any more and the HT’s are aggressive enough for my needs. I am very happy with how long they last, I think in the 60,000 mile range. They are designed and only available for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and I see alot of trucks running them. They are not aggressive looking with side wall tread like the ones you have in the picture but will do what you are asking.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had Nitto G2’s about a year. They are not very aggressive but are holding up well and stick to slippery surfaces good. Good all around tire for 99% pavement use. I probably wouldnt buy them again based on their looks but larger sized look better.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Thanks for all the feedback guys I appreciate it. I’ve called a few local tire shops and diesel truck shops and discussed tires with them as well it seems everyone is pointing me towards the Nitto G2 tires as of right now I’m probably going to give them a shot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.