New BIRD Owner

• smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I went and did it. Purchased the 1197 SI Combo last night. Heart still running a little fast Now I need a good setup to get it up and away from the dash and windshield. What mounting hardware are you guys using that will work. I also need to be able to remove it as well. Not letting this one get ripped off!!

jhalfen

Awesome! Welcome to the Humminbird family. There’s NEVER been a better time to be a Humminbird owner, and the future is as bright as ever. You’re going to be thrilled with your purchase, and with the ability of Humminbird to stand behind and enhance your investment.

What you want to get is the big boy RAM mount with the 2 1/4″ ball:

Ram Mount

I had my 1197 mounted on the small-ball RAM mount for much of the summer, which was…ok….but not as secure as I’d prefer. I switched to the 2 1/4″ model and it has solid as a rock.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Another option, I have an 1157 on the bow, and if you have room, I had an extra one of the medium size Ram Mounts, so doubled them up side be side, it is also rock solid.

Welcome to the Humminbird group

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The transducer location is critical for getting the most out of your investment. Ask all the questions you can and seek opinions for experienced users for the do’s and don’ts if you feel you need the assistance. With the growing number of users, I think we have just about every type of boat covered for installations.

reddog

If ya ever get up Okoboji way and want to fine tune it, as long as I’m not gone hunting, I can help show you the ropes.

Congrats.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Congrats smackem! You will truely enjoy it.

What kind of a boat are you installing this on?

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Funny you should ask about my boat. Monday I drove home with a 195 Alumacraft and Tuesday I bought the 1197. Needless to say my wife has put a freeze on any more spending I now have a 1994 Lund 1660 Pro V for sell.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Ok now I’m no sonar expert in any means. I have this new 1197 and need more info on how to use it. The manual only goes so far. I would have thought a CD should have come with it. Where can I find more usefull info on this without asking everyone all my questions?

reddog

Start out with the factory default settings as they are very good. Then when you get used to the menu items start tweaking them one at a time.

There is no perfect settings, as I am constantly changing mine depending on depth, SI range, etc.

If I could make one suggestion, it would be the keep the SI range narrower, rather than wider;
    Seldom is my Si range wider that 70 feet each way.’

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I guess I did drop my setting down to 130′ but 70 makes more sense being I don’t run a wide area any who.

whittsend

Quote:

Ok now I’m no sonar expert in any means. I have this new 1197 and need more info on how to use it. The manual only goes so far. I would have thought a CD should have come with it. Where can I find more usefull info on this without asking everyone all my questions?

Read ALL of the past HB posts on this forum. GREAT info. Jason really does a great job getting the explanations out there. Or just book Jason for a day on the water and get a first hand tutorial!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.