External vs Internal?

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Well I just upgraded boats so now I’m having fun picking out my new add-ons. It seems like a lot of the new HB’s have internal GPS antennas. I can see obvious installation ease with these, but are they as reliable as external? I have a Matrix 67 on my old boat with an external GPS and it always worked fine. I’m looking at the 788ci model…with the new technology does it really matter..external vs. internal??

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

I run the 788ci on my bow and use the internal gps all of the time, it has great reception and accuracy. I have the capability to run off the puck mounted on my boat transom due to interlink with my 997, but always run with the internal signal. Love my 788 screen resolution is phenomenal.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

I have a 787c2 with the external antenna. I don’t know how the reception reliability rates with the internals, but never have issues with my external. (Like you)

One advantage I would have with the internal would be when I switch from my big boat to my little boat. You see I don’t have an antenna for the small boat and I have my hand held gps interfaced with the 787.

BTW I also have a 777 networked to the 787, the 777 was the most useless piece of electronics I have ever bought. You can get speed and direction info from it but other than that is is a regular fish finder. Well I guess I have the Quadra ducer hooked to it on my Nitro but other than that…

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i wouldnt worry about it… my handheld gets fantastic reception on the water. and that is going on 4 years old now.

jhalfen

I’ve yet to encounter someone with a problem with their Humminbird internal GPS receiver. I think you’ll be very happy if you go that route.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Thanks for the advice!!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

I’ve yet to encounter someone with a problem with their Humminbird internal GPS receiver. I think you’ll be very happy if you go that route.

Ditto

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Having one less wire to route through the boat?
    One less set of holes to fasten down the external unit?
    A lot easier to make it portable for a fly-in trip?

I wish mine was internal!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.