Gun Safe

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

So it’s past time for me to get a gun safe. I would like something to hold about 6-8 long guns and a hand full of pistols and some room for other smallish items. Would like this to stay on a bit of a budget $300-400 and don’t really need it for theft so not looking for something that I need four buddies to get it in the basement. TIA

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Make sure to factor in room for future purchases waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have almost exactly what you’re looking for. Its a keyed safe that holds 8 long guns and has 3 shelves for other items. I paid 350 bucks for it about 10 years ago. Its not overly heavy to the point where I can’t move it, but its not light weight either.

I don’t remember the brand off the top of my head. I’ll check when I get home tomorrow.

The one thing you might want to do is buy it in person, rather than just ordering it online. That way you can look at it and see how much space is inside.

CaptainMusky

My dad and I bought the same safe from Walmart and its fantastic. Lots of room. I think we have around 10 long guns in there, ammo, passports, magazines, etc and there is still room.
    I paid under 300 for it. It is considered fire proof whatever that standard is, but its heavy as F. The brand is Sentry.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The brand is Sentry.

That’s what mine is too. Thank you for refreshing my memory on it. Mine’s not super heavy though. I think mine might be slightly smaller than yours, mine only holds 8 long guns.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Make sure to factor in room for future purchases

I hear you there, I will still have a little wiggle room in this size.

Thanks G will wait to hear back from you.

CaptainMusky

That’s what mine is too. Thank you for refreshing my memory on it. Mine’s not super heavy though. I think mine might be slightly smaller than yours, mine only holds 8 long guns.

IDK what max capacity is, but if I were to take out the shelves on the right side Id fit another 5 or 6 guns in there for sure. My dad is moving and wont need his safe anymore so I am getting it. I dont really need it, but could use it for overflow or perhaps sell it. It has to weight 200 pounds at least. It can also be bolted to the floor if you want to.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I dont really need it, but could use it for overflow or perhaps sell it. It has to weight 200 pounds at least. It can also be bolted to the floor if you want to.

Well keep me in mind. This is not something I have to have now. Let me know what you would want for it and I would likely be interested.

CaptainMusky

Will do John! Still working out the kinks of getting my dad moved and when that happens it will be one of the last things to move because it is an SOB, but I dont find a need for it I will let you know.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Thanks. If anyone has any other ideas or deals they see please let me know.

Baitwaster
    South metro

If the deal with CM doesn’t work out-

A) Find the size safe you want
    B) Buy the next size up

You’d be surprised how much your wife is going to find to put in it. Documents, jewelry, keepsakes, etc…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If the deal with CM doesn’t work out-

A) Find the size safe you want
    B) Buy the next size up

You’d be surprised how much your wife is going to find to put in it. Documents, jewelry, keepsakes, etc…

Do this. We keep jewelry, car titles, life insurance policies, etc in ours.
    Also check out Tractor Supply for safes. Bought 3 on Black Friday Specials over the years.

CaptainMusky

Very good advice because we always want bigger once we get something.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I got a 64 gun Cannon safe from Tractor Supply on a Black Friday deal for $599.00. Be aware that safes hold about half of what they say, unless you just have break open single shot shotguns.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

why not buy a gun safe, and a regular safe for other stuff…..its what i got!!!!

i got a gun safe from cabelas years ago when cabelas was something…..i have 14 in there!!!!

MX1825

glenn are you talking a small 2nd safe for items other than guns? 1 of those 2’x2′ Sentry Safes?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think I have 6 liberty 24 gun safes and 2 or 3 fortresses. I prefer smaller safes I can move over 1 giant bulk pos. There is a ton of options for you under 300 bucks. I like the liberty safes because it’s easy to get them key and code matched. But I’m sure you can do that with most these days if you call the manufacturer. There’s a fortress 24 gun at scheels for 299

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do this. We keep jewelry, car titles, life insurance policies, etc in ours.
    Also check out Tractor Supply for safes. Bought 3 on Black Friday Specials over the years.
    [/quote]

All mine came on some form of sale. We have 1 in our closet dedicated to paper work, our jewelry, my watches and a few hand guns and then some spare scopes , red dots and a few other spendy items. The other 7 or 8 are in the “gun” room with guns.
    When you get in to the bigger safes they are so heavy they just suck. I would never buy a big one. Made that mistake twice. 24 gun is a great size. They hold like 6 long guns and have shelves if you want which is nice. Make sure you can put hand guns in the door pockets and you are even better. I have alot of ammo so we also dedicated 1 safe for just ammo storage.

Coletrain27

Menards has some good sales every now and then on safes. I’ve bought 2 from there and I have been happy with them. Liberty will never get any of my money after they admitted giving the FBI override codes into peoples gun safes

My advice would be buy one twice the size you think you need because they always seem to fill up. We also keep alot of paperwork and other things in them

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I did look at Tractor supply and they had a good deal on a Winchester I think it was maybe a 36 gun safe and it weighed 400-500 pounds. I’m hoping to keep it well under that. Thanks for the advise so far guys I know I will wish I went bigger but kind of like BC’s idea of multiple when it gets to that point. Not sure I will fill 8 of them. shock jester waytogo

Dan
    Southeast MN

Something I’m thinking about doing, if I can find one, is getting more of a locker-type setup. A friend of mine bought a few from a local high school when they switched out gym lockers or something like that. Obviously you wouldn’t have the fire protection as most of the others people have mentioned, and breaking in would be as simple as cutting a lock, so it all depends on your situation. I’m not too terribly worried about theft of my guns where I live, and I’ve got a fireproof safe thing for documents, so if I can find one I’m gonna try something like I described.

Otherwise, my experience with Liberty safes is good as I have a small handgun one for underneath my bed.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^I bought that very same one John. It’s been great. I want to say it was 500# empty, which is actually pretty light for a safe that size as it’s not a $2500 safe. Regardless I ended up putting it on the lull and driving it around the walkout side of the house and booming it in the biggest window when we built. We just left it packaged and shoved it around on a couple carts until setting it in a forever spot.

Depending where people keep their safes and if you intend to ever move, building them in makes for a pretty cool look when done right and you can bolt them right down. If you don’t live in your forever home, I’d install the ball bearing casters on the bottom to give you a little mobility down the road as needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I did look at Tractor supply and they had a good deal on a Winchester I think it was maybe a 36 gun safe and it weighed 400-500 pounds. I’m hoping to keep it well under that. Thanks for the advise so far guys I know I will wish I went bigger but kind of like BC’s idea of multiple when it gets to that point. Not sure I will fill 8 of them.

Oh come on if you don’t need 8 then you don’t have enough toys. When I did our basement I built a 18 ft x 6 ft room that has a trap door in and out. That way all my safes are hidden and no one will guess its there. I really do prefer multiple smaller safes.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Oh come on if you don’t need 8 then you don’t have enough toys. When I did our basement I built a 18 ft x 6 ft room that has a trap door in and out

I guess I don’t have enough toy’s then. frown

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I bought that very same one John. It’s been great. I want to say it was 500# empty, which is actually pretty light for a safe that size as it’s not a $2500 safe

Glad it worked out for you and I do get that most safes are going to be heavier than that. I am just looking for something lighter if I can. It is a great deal if anyone is looking for a safe that size.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Check online.
    Sometimes a person wants to get rid of one and will give it to you for free if you move it out of there home.
    The old ones are beautiful but extremely heavy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I guess I don’t have enough toy’s then.

My thing was supposed to have a laughing face next to it, I was trying to be sarcastic but it didn’t work.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

My thing was supposed to have a laughing face next to it, I was trying to be sarcastic but it didn’t work.

I assume every time you respond to me here as sarcastic. jester

Were all good bud! toast

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ill be hiring someone to move mine when we leave this house. Actually movers brought it in when I got it many years ago.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Ill be hiring someone to move mine when we leave this house. Actually movers brought it in when I got it many years ago.

I’m hoping to die in the house I currently own (not anytime soon) but if I ever move again I’ll hire movers for stuff like that and I would highly recommend others do as well. I honestly don’t remember what the rate was, but when we did move in 2019 three guys showed up in a U-haul type truck and I basically pointed out the heavy obnoxious stuff and they took care of it, and it really wasn’t that much of a cost at all.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.