Gun Maker Remington Preps for Bankruptcy, Seeks Sale to Navajo Nation

• Nice Fella

As reported today in the Wall Street Journal:

“Firearms manufacturer Remington Arms Co. is preparing to file for chapter 11 protection for the second time since 2018 and is in advanced talks for a potential bankruptcy sale to the Navajo Nation, people familiar with the matter said.

A bankruptcy sale would give a potential buyer the chance to purchase Remington free from legal liabilities, people familiar with the matter said.”

tornadochaser

Somebody should have buried the Remington brand years ago. Junk guns and junk support. “It’s dead Jim.”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Time machine back 150 years and tell them Remington is selling the company to Indians. They would put you in a mental hospital. The type of hospital we no longer have today……

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I dont want to stir it up here, but junk guns? I have several remington guns in the safe. Shot guns, rifles, and a handgun. If I go broke and have to sell there will always be a wingmaster and 243 BDL around the place. They may not be the fanciest guns, but they are reliable.

Edit: forgot to mention the Remington 597 that out shoots any ruger 10/22 and the fieldmaster 22. Those will stick with me too.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Remington has made some great guns over the years. Like most Bankruptcy’s I’m sure the failure has far more to do with Poor management than it does with the quality of the product.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I dont want to stir it up here, but junk guns? I have several remington guns in the safe. Shot guns, rifles, and a handgun. If I go broke and have to sell there will always be a wingmaster and 243 BDL around the place. They may not be the fanciest guns, but they are reliable.

Edit: forgot to mention the Remington 597 that out shoots any ruger 10/22 and the fieldmaster 22. Those will stick with me too.

Were any of those purchased in the last 10 years? The Remington shotguns/rifles that were purchased 20+ years ago are leaps and bounds above the quality they are putting out today. To get (what I consider) a quality rifle from Remington nowadays you have to spend a minimum of $900. Any of the new 870’s will rust if you look at them funny, let alone take one in a duck blind.

Admittedly I’ve never been a big fan of Remington, but there are too many other companies that produce a rifle/shotgun with fit & finish that are leaps and bounds above what Remington is putting out now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The model 700 bolt action rifle in a multitude of calibers is easily one of the most popular deer rifles out there. Heck, I think 7 people in my camp of 11 hunters has one.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The model 700 bolt action rifle in a multitude of calibers is easily one of the most popular deer rifles out there. Heck, I think 7 people in my camp of 11 hunters has one.

And the other 4 probably own the 7400. Lol

I’d guess almost everyone I know owns a Remington of some type…can’t say that about any other brand.

Coletrain27

Never had a problem with Remington guns but my newest one is about 10 years old now. They have been very reliable goose hunting and deer hunting for me.

Sucks to see a company that was so great at one time go under. frown

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbg1219 wrote:</div>

Were any of those purchased in the last 10 years? The Remington shotguns/rifles that were purchased 20+ years ago are leaps and bounds above the quality they are putting out today. To get (what I consider) a quality rifle from Remington nowadays you have to spend a minimum of $900. Any of the new 870’s will rust if you look at them funny, let alone take one in a duck blind.

Admittedly I’ve never been a big fan of Remington, but there are too many other companies that produce a rifle/shotgun with fit & finish that are leaps and bounds above what Remington is putting out now.

All of mine are inside of 10 years old except the 1100 and one wingmaster. There is a huge difference between an 870 wingmaster and an 870 express. I am guessing the express is the one you have had rust issues with.

All that being said, I have bought a new Remington in 5 years. So it may have changed recently.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

That is correct, the express series is what I was referring to, but still they are a far cry from the quality that the 870 is synonymous for. And keep in mind, in terms of quality I’m primarily referring to fit and finish. I have no doubt that even an express could run for ages before needing a good cleaning, but it wouldn’t be a looker after very long.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

Absolutely love my 12 ga 1100 Special Field and a 597 .22 They have been great shooters .

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’d guess almost everyone I know owns a Remington of some type…can’t say that about any other brand.

You can put me in this camp too, an 870 Express-12 and 597-22.

For the price, great entry level firearms. A good cleaning and oil + proper storage, and rusting is not that much a problem after all.

ajw

Remington needs to decide if they are going to be Savage or Remington. Go back to making high quality firearms or make cheep guns that feel like Tupperware but shoot well (savage). Get rid of a bunch of skus and quit frustrating dealers and customers with long wait times and out of stock rifles.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Any of the new 870’s will rust if you look at them funny, let alone take one in a duck blind.

A well oiled/ cared for gun will not rust. Regardless of brand. Duck hunting is hard on guns. I’ve seen many fail due to adverse conditions over the years and it’s never been an 870. They’re the best duck gun in my opinion. We’ve joked over the years about not needing to bring paddles since we have a couple 870’s that’ll work just as well.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Any of the new 870’s will rust if you look at them funny, let alone take one in a duck blind.

A well oiled/ cared for gun will not rust. Regardless of brand. Duck hunting is hard on guns. I’ve seen many fail due to adverse conditions over the years and it’s never been an 870. They’re the best duck gun in my opinion. We’ve joked over the years about not needing to bring paddles since we have a couple 870’s that’ll work just as well.

Based on what I’ve seen first hand, the bluing that Remington uses on the express series of 870s is subpar compared to other brands. Even well oiled, I’ve seen rust develop during the course of one morning hunt, whereas that didn’t happen on comparable Winchester and Browning blued guns that are in the blind right next to it.

Remington ain’t what it used to be folks! I’m not arguing that at one time they weren’t a great firearm manufacturer, but they have fallen a long way from their hayday.

tornadochaser

a 597 that will outshoot “any” 10/22? I’ll take that bet.

I own 6 remington shotguns. Only 1 being manufactured in the last 15 years. it’s a pile of crap.
    I own 4 remington rifles. 2 being manufactured in the last 5 years. I’ve had to completely tear them down and rebuild them to get acceptable accuracy. It’s a shame when there are 25 companies out there that build the model 700 action better than the company that owns it.

870 express 3.5″ – Needs valve grinding compound on the rails and chamber honing just to cycle.
    Remington R51? Disaster. Dumpster fire.
    Remington RP9? grip too slick, mush trigger, can’t sell them even at a $200 price point.
    597 was a decent 10/22 alternative, but sales will now suffer since the action for the 10/22 is no longer proprietary and numerous companies are making factory rifles running 10/22 pattern actions and magazines.

There’s just way too many good gun brands out there with offerings at the same price points as remington’s products that have less quality control issues, better customer support, and better fit/finish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL jeez tornado chaser you really have some beef with Remington don’t you. One has to wonder why you acquired so many of them to begin with considering the issues at hand with your lineup.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Add the 887 and the 770 to that list of winners.

Lynn Seiler

Add Nylon 66 to that list of winners. Admittedly much older and no longer in production.

tornadochaser

LOL jeez tornado chaser you really have some beef with Remington don’t you. One has to wonder why you acquired so many of them to begin with considering the issues at hand with your lineup.

I like older wingmasters, and I have my dad’s 700’s. I’ve won 8-10 remingtons in the past 15 years. Many I sold or traded right away. Some I tried to get to run better as described.

No beef, just 100% honest about their quality and current reputation. Only reason the brand still exists is a combination of Walmart and nostalgia. They have some good products. The V3 has been well received. The Tac-13 and Tac-14 are hot sellers. Some of the higher end 700s are shooters. The custom shop turns out great builds. But overall, they just aren’t on par with the other brands out there.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I always thought the model 700 action was one of the most popular for high end rifle builds….Everyone I know uses a blueprinted 700 action. Everyone that I know that owns a Versa Max loves it too.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I always thought the model 700 action was one of the most popular for high end rifle builds….Everyone I know uses a blueprinted 700 action. Everyone that I know that owns a Versa Max loves it too.

Absolutely, the 700 actions are great platforms for a custom bolt gun! Can’t argue that. That being said, when you slap on a Proof or Criterion barrel, Timney/Jewel trigger, and a B&C or Manners stock you’re in a whole new universe in comparison to a rifle from the factory. You’re also looking at a $1500+ bill to go along with it so there’s that….

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I have one 700 a couple 870s and an 1100. All are great guns. Are they fancy? No, but they take a beating and keep on going better than any of the others out there.

Of course if you are gonna spend big dollars for some of the higher end guns you will have better performance, etc. I have always thought with Remington comes reliability.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I have one 700 a couple 870s and an 1100. All are great guns. Are they fancy? No, but they take a beating and keep on going better than any of the others out there.

Of course if you are gonna spend big dollars for some of the higher end guns you will have better performance, etc. I have always thought with Remington comes reliability.

I always thought the same. Was just curious because of tornado calling Remington products junk. I always thought they were very reliable.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a model 700 CDL bolt action in 7mm-08. I’ve had it for 17 years now. It has never failed and I have dropped too many deer to count in that span. Have never missed a deer I’ve shot at within 325 yards. Part of that may be the shooter, part of that may be the weapon.

I also have a 1999 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun. I bought it the time because it was all I could afford. I was a junior in high school with a crappy job. When I could afford to upgrade, I did. I still have that shotgun but I can honestly say that I’ll probably never use it again because its heavier than an anchor and it jammed more than once too.

Those are my experiences with Remington. One good, one not so good.

tornadochaser

I always thought the same. Was just curious because of tornado calling Remington products junk. I always thought they were very reliable.

Google “remington quality issues” and poke around the results. Current remington products just don’t leave the factory the way they should. 4 current firearms recalls and 8 current ammo recalls under that brand.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.