Great Bait Shops

• John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Reading both the recent threads about bait shops. Thought we could start a thread about the ones that are awesome.

I will start out with my favorite. Vados Bait and Tackle in Spring Lake Park. Been there as long as I can remember. Great service, great quality. Solid scoops and won’t call a large leech a jumbo (I hate when they do that!). They also do rod repair, spool line on for you, that kind of old school service. I only wish they were north of me so it was easier to hit them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Prince Bait & Marine north of Milaca, MN.

AnotherFisherman

Delaney’s in Park Rapids, MN has been great for us! I’ve since moved and don’t travel through there as often, but stop in when I can!

mnfisherman18

Delaney’s in Park Rapids, MN has been great for us! I’ve since moved and don’t travel through there as often, but stop in when I can!

Delaneys was good, but I always liked Northern bait too – very old school bait shop. Christopherson’s in Alex is great too.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ryan’s Sport Shop – Durand, WI.

Not a place anyone here has probably heard of nor do they have the widespread volume of many places, but they do a nice job sharing intel about the Chippewa River, Pool 4, and Pool 5. They have a real nice firearm selection and liquor store all in one as well.

River Valley Outfitters – Wabasha, MN

Not an overly talkative crowd, but always has decent bait (including willow cats when other places often don’t). They too are small and don’t have a ton of volume or a Scheels type selection, but they offer river specific lures and some local made tackle specifically for river fishing.

cass

Timberline Sports in Blackduck MN.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Timberline in Blackduck is one of my favorites.

Steve’s Lucky Bait in Baudette.

Prince’s Bait on the way to Mille Lacs.

Cabin Fever and Carver Bait in the SW Metro.

ThunderLund78

Yes! Cabin Fever deserves mentioning again! Love that place.

Mike J
    Wright County

Ebners in Elk River was a great classic bait shop, unfortunately closed now. Current picks would be In Towne Marina, Delaneys, and Wayside Corner north of Cloquet.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Steve’s Lucky Bait in Baudette.

Is that even open anymore since he died?

Oh yeah, his widow (I believe) is running it now, still the same great place!

tswoboda

Gene’s in Perham has always been awesome.

Quality Bait and Tackle in DL was rough for a few years but has a great new owner now. They give my 3YO daughter all kinds of stuff when we go in. She has more fun watching and picking out sucker minnows than she did “catching” the fish in my avatar.

CaptainMusky

Cool, I havent been in there in years, but I always got a kick out of the “weed smell” in there.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Ebners in Elk River was a great classic bait shop, unfortunately closed now.

We used to hit that one a lot cause of its location. She always seemed kinda crabby but do miss the shop being there. I will also ad Lehmans in Anoka to my local shop list not great and it is part small engine shop, but at least they have after hours bait shed to get minnow early or late.

dennis smith

thousand lakes sporting goods in grand rapids. quality gear and bait. good guys also

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

Cool, I havent been in there in years, but I always got a kick out of the “weed smell” in there.

I just was there. Robby I still running it and trying to figure things out since Steve passed. I think that skunky smell is much lighter now days since Steve isn’t here. But she still has 12 85 chevys sitting around. Steve was the man. And is still missed

Karry Kyllo

I’m a big, big fan of Log Cabin Bait north of Baudette near Lake of the Woods.

Gregg Gunter

I was impressed with Thousand Lakes. Going back to Grand Rapids in June.

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

Yep, Vados in the metro. Can’t beat them for the north side.

Lake Vermillion, Joe at Northwoods bait in Cook. Great bait and quite a character.

dirtywater

Marine General in Duluth.

Always like they Great Outdoors in Ely, but I haven’t been since the ownership change

MX1825

Pete’s in Devils Lake,ND.

FinickyFish

Bottle Shop in Chamberlain SD. Just cause I like to see the photos of people they “don’t accept checks from”. Always caught my attention when I was young and even now. Never saw that anywhere else and it reminded me of The Simpsons, I think the Kwickie Mart had something like that haha.

Red Eye

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AnotherFisherman wrote:</div>

Delaneys was good, but I always liked Northern bait too – very old school bait shop. Christopherson’s in Alex is great too.

Usually better prices and selection at northern too.
    Another one to check out if you’re going through Lake George is North County Bait. Just a mile east of town. They are a bait trapper/wholesaler/dealer. Great selection and prices.

Pitter patter

Fat cats bait and tackle in Trempealeau Wisconsin. Excellent assortment of everything at great prices and catfish tackle that most do not carry. Beautiful store in a beautiful town.

catmando
    wis

Knutes , Star Prairie, they used to catch water dogs just for me.

Adam Steffes

I will put a vote in for Sportsman’s Cove in Webster SD. Nice little store with a surprising selection.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Prince Bait & Marine north of Milaca, MN.

I can vaguely remember the old place Ray had on the North end of town before the they built the present store. If I’m not mistaken Rays kid Mark built the new store, I think Ray had passed by then.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I miss Koep’s

Full Stringer in Longville.
    They have outside self serve minnows. I was there one day pulling a dozen red tails out when the owner came pulling up. We talked a bit and said “you can take a couple more than 12” waytogo

Deuces

Bait shops are like donuts, is there really a bad one? Some are nicer than others, but I love goin to everyone, try to pluck couple things off the shelf to help the cause.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.