Garmin Panoptix Livescope – for Ice Fishing!

• Gunflint Trail

I have my portable Garmin Livescope built and ready. See the photo below of the ice package.

Here is a video on just how amazing it can me.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3464-1.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Best fishing tool around. Ice or open water

SW Eyes

Yeah those look pretty nifty. But, kinda tough to justify $2k for sonar unit, personally. I felt bad enough spending $600 on my Helix.

But, I have two young kids and I’m a crusty accountant. The Helix is freaking amazing, so I can only imagine…

daddy

Are you just using the standard battery to run livescope? I have heard that the standard battery isn’t nearly enough to get any serious run time.

daddy

also where do you have the “black box” mounted?

Charles

Just so cool, be awesome for ice fishing and drop shoting for smallies. I wonder when James in the crew will switch over for ice fishing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just so cool, be awesome for ice fishing and drop shoting for smallies. I wonder when James in the crew will switch over for ice fishing.

Let’s leave this to uncut angling.

Gunflint Trail

Questions:
    1. What Battery?

I use the 12AH Milwaukee M18 which leaves me enough room in the battery compartment to store the ice fishing transducer.

2. Where do you have the “black box” mounted?

I put the Livescope box directly behind the Echomap holder, vertical with cable sockets up and have it tie-wrapped to the handle.

daddy

Questions:
    1. What Battery?

I use the 12AH Milwaukee M18 which leaves me enough room in the battery compartment to store the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing transducer.

2. Where do you have the “black box” mounted?

I put the Livescope box directly behind the Echomap holder, vertical with cable sockets up and have it tie-wrapped to the handle.

Ok, the panoptix ice bundle comes with garmins battery. Im curious what sort of run time you will get out of that Milwaukee battery.

daddy

Wait…isn’t that a battery for a cordless drill???

Gunflint Trail

Yes, it is the state of the art drill battery. I used the Garmin 12 volt to power my Clam flip over hit. The M18 has 50% more watts than the other one so I should get a full day fishing. Need some ice to find out.

daddy

Yes, it is the state of the art drill battery. I used the Garmin 12 volt to power my Clam flip over hit. The M18 has 50% more watts than the other one so I should get a full day fishing. Need some ice to find out.

WOW! That is insane. Did you hard wire it in?

Gunflint Trail

I bought an adapter off of eBay. The hobbyists use the adapter to power bikes and other things with the M18.

daddy

I bought an adapter off of eBay. The hobbyists use the adapter to power bikes and other things with the M18.

I’m very interested to hear these results!

daddy

So does that convert it to 12 volts?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Wow. I had never seen that before. That is impressive. I have to say though at what point does this technology feel like its cheating? Im not judging anyone that wants to use it and lord knows if someone from 30 years ago would look at what I utilize to fish they might say I was cheating too but it just seems to me the way the advancements in technology are progressing its taking a bit away from the sport for my taste. Thanks for posting the video though that was quite something to see the fish come off the bottom like that!

B-man

Wow. I had never seen that before. That is impressive. I have to say though at what point does this technology feel like its cheating? Im not judging anyone that wants to use it and lord knows if someone from 30 years ago would look at what I utilize to fish they might say I was cheating too but it just seems to me the way the advancements in technology are progressing its taking a bit away from the sport for my taste. Thanks for posting the video though that was quite something to see the fish come off the bottom like that!

All the technology in the world still won’t make the fish bite.

It’s cool watching those muskies with the Livescope Panoptics, but other than the WOW factor, it’s really not much different than seeing a big red mark come and go on the Vexilar.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

All the technology in the world still won’t make the fish bite.

It’s cool watching those muskies with the Livescope Panoptics, but other than the WOW factor, it’s really not much different than seeing a big red mark come and go on the Vexilar.

I suppose you may be right

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If your vexilar had a 135° cone one way and then trying to decipher where in the cone the fish is. Pretty sweet technology!

Aaron Kalberer

Not to derail the thread but I think the biggest thing with garmin and ice fishing is using panoptix to find fish that are not under your hole by rotating the transducer, effectively narrowing down your search in a short amount of time. Not that this destroys fishing but I found that to potentially be a very useful tool.

Gunflint, I am looking forward to see how this works out! I am jealous of the setup but I think it will be a vex fl18 for me for awhile yet.

Also interested in this battery adapter you were talking about.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Also interested in this battery adapter you were talking about.

They make them for Dewalt or Milwaukee. I use them on my locators. That way my auger and locators use the same battery. The side port converts the voltage to 12V.

https://www.amazon.com/LANMU-Battery-Adapter-Lithium-Soldering/dp/B07DZZLH7Z/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1541780734&sr=8-17&keywords=DCB203

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-24-2371-M18-Power-Source/dp/B008PTP0SK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541782112&sr=8-3&keywords=milwaukee+12+adapter+heated+jacket

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Garmin tech is cool, but it’s in its infancy, the nex generations of Panoptix and Livescope will make this current gen look like Atari and I would bet they are just a year or two away, especially with Lowrance releasing their tech in January and Humminbird probably the following year, each company will push the tech to new levels just to be the first on the market…

I’ll wait for the tech to mature before thinking about plunking down the big bucks…

So does that convert it to 12 volts?

I believe Gunflint uses a third party adapter, not the powersource, using it at the full 18v (20v).

Gunflint Trail

I run mine at 18v. The adapter just provides me an easy connection to the battery terminals and makes it easy to disconnect for charging.

kayl

The Garmin tech is cool, but it’s in its infancy, the nex generations of Panoptix and Livescope will make this current gen look like Atari and I would bet they are just a year or two away, especially with Lowrance releasing their tech in January and Humminbird probably the following year, each company will push the tech to new levels just to be the first on the market…

I’ll wait for the tech to mature before thinking about plunking down the big bucks…

Lowrance is releasing their version under a patent sharing agreement out of their lawsuit with Garmin. I don’t think Hummingbird will be releasing anything similar anytime soon.

BrianF

Some might think that the latest electronic technology is sucking the fun out of the sport of fishing, but look at the guys who are posting these videos on YouTube. Do they seem like they’re having less fun using these new technologies? Are we having less fun watching them?? No. These early adopters look like they’re having MORE fun! Is it wrong to want to have more fun when out doing what we love? Being thrilled with all the learning that goes along with being able to see what was previously unseen?

Unfortunately, being an early adopter means you have to ‘pay to play’. At these price points, it’s worth it for some, though not for others.

Gunflint Trail

Lowrance is releasing their version under a patent sharing agreement out of their lawsuit with Garmin. I don’t think Hummingbird will be releasing anything similar anytime soon.

That is also what I heard. The Lowrance is going to be even more pricey, starting around $5,000 because you need a new and fast head unit. BUT, Humminbird risks being left behind as it was not involved with the patent lawsuit and the resulting cross-license agreement between Garmin and Lowrance’s parent company.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.