Garmin Panoptix Livescope – for Ice Fishing!

• broman

The whole “it’s cheating” is an interesting viewpoint. I’m guessing that everyone said the same thing when the first graphs were introduced then when the first flashers came around. Then came the digital lake maps and GPS units. In the end, you still have to make them bite.

David Burchard

I have used my set up 3 times so far here on some Wyoming hard water. LOVE IT! I am just learning to ice fish and it is helping my son and I get dialed in on what these trout respond to. I also mounted my go pro onto the pole to capture some catches thru the hole. On the live scope I could see as many as a dozen marks reacting to my bait but not biting. On the camera I later discovered that they were all sucker fish. Now I know what they look like on the graph. Great tool but you have to learn to interpret what you see on the screen.

Ice Cap

Ok so now add a camera to the mix to tell you you are not wasting your time on sucker fish that you thought were trout. Sorry not trying to be critical but that’s a lot of $$ into electronics and a whole lot of stuff to drag out on the ice. All this better cut your time in half locating and catching fish because you are going to spend half your time messing with all this stuff.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

My livescope is dual purpose. I used it all summer long on my boat and it really helped me see under water structures I didn’t know were there before. Now using on ice the last few outings and no, it didn’t help me catch more fish, but I can now distinguish what is under my ice hole (size of fish, bottom hardness, structure, bait fish). Drill the first hole, drop livescope in forward view, scan area, no fish then move to different area. Dragging out all my gear hasn’t been an issue for me at all. My flx28 hasn’t seen ice yet this year shock

David Burchard

I built mine into a Frabil bait keeper With the 93svplus on top. Then built a custom ducer stand to hold the ducer and camera down through an 8” hole. Easy to run & gun looking for suspended fish and cover. It’s easy to carry that kit in one hand and my Dewalt powered 8” kdrill in the other. If my tracked ranger can’t safely go on the ice it all fits nicely into my 4 foot jet sled.

Attachments:
    1. AEDCE542-046D-4854-ACE7-CBB781353986.jpeg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ice cap –
    For me and the age I’m at (pushing 60) it’s all entertainment,mental stimulation $$.
    When the kids come up, when I’m BS’n at the bar, when i’m typing on my keyboard on IDO about it.
    Mental stimulation.
    Batteries, dang – now I need to calculate the.
    Mental stimulation.
    David added the camera, Crap! now I have to figure that out.
    Mental stimulation.

It’s a old Man thing and it’s all good. toast

Catching fish is low on my list, fishing is at the top of my list. waytogo

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.