Can anyone tell me what type of fish this is?

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Just took some more pics for the heck of it:

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

I tried to compare him to some of my fish but mine are just white and kind of hard. I don’t have a fish tank just a freezer.

carptracker
    Missouri

The fish is still a green sunfish. I am quite competent in fish taxonomy and this is a real no-brainer.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Carptracker was right the first time… and he’s still right… its a green sunfish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You know guys…I think we should ask carptracker what kind of fish it is…he’s pretty good at this.

Ever feel like the AFLK duck?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

So, that’s a green sunfish? Right?

How big of a tank is that? The one you don’t have.

J.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Greenie it is . The tank I don’t have is 55 gallons, and the one i’m not upgrading to will be over 70Gallons.

It really is fun watching them eat. Throw in a few dozen crappie minnows and it’s a feeding frenzy. It’s amazing to see how quick they can strike/or spit them out. Even if they are panfish..It’s an awesome site.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How often do you have to clean that tank ? What type of filter system do you use ?

John Luebker

ecnook – that is my question too. I might know a guy that might be trying to talk his wife into getting one… but I want to know how much work they are first…

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Well..The tank itself continually runs a filtration sytem. Drawing water from a tube near the bottom of the tank and running it up through 4 filters. The H20 then waterfalls back into the top of the tank, providing clean water, and fresh Oxygen. About once a month, I throw in some algea cleaning tablets, along w/some other “clarifiers”. I also have a an Extended Scrub brush I use If I notice the Glass on the inside getting any type of buildup. It really isn’t that difficult once you get it setup. I’m thinking of getting a 2nd Filtration system so that It stays twice as clean(will go on left side of tank, identical to right). The setup I have now runs about $250.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

don’t you use some type of siphon to get the gunk off the bottom ?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Yeah…I do have a seperate vacuum type system as well.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

So what you are saying is, this is stuff you would like to have because you don’t have it now. And your expertise is loosely based on speculation from being a non-owner of said aquarium setup. I think I just gave myself a headache. Sloppy, I’d love to see the setup you don’t have and hopefully drink some of the beer you do have.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

That’s it . Tell ya what….My house is about 1 mile from the Omni Center..If you’re going to the expo next weekend, swing on over…I’ll have a couple 40oz’s ready..lol

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Sounds like a plan! We can get all fish-eyed watching the fish you don’t have.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Slop, I had a tank in the ’80’s. All my normal fish died, so I cleaned it out and filled er up. Went trout fishing one day and when I got home one of the 13″ browns was still looking pretty good…in the tank she went. Looks like my tank was about 1/2 the size of yours.

Couple days later I received a call from my wife at work. The trout jumped out of the tank and was flopping on the living room floor. She wanted to know what to do with it. She wouldn’t touch it!

Long story short, my neighbor had a trout lunch that day.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

40 oncers! I might have to drive up to have some with the Green Sunfish. SB to you cool the tank water at all. I had a 55 and a 29 years back with lake fish, my tanks got too warm at times and a little smelly. Your Setup looks great!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Everyone’s Welcome to come drink 40’eez and watch the FISH!!!! .

I don’t heat or cool the water….The water stays cold to the touch during the winter months, and during the summer, the key is to remove any dead minnows, as it is the decay that makes it reek. I put more effort in during the summer for that reason alone. These fish have grown Immensly in the year+ that i’ve had them. The Rock Bass in there really are huge, and the smaller ones have doubled in size. The bluegills are absolute SLABS, if you caught them fishing, they’d be in the bucket for sure.

These fish are much more exciting than “regular fish”. Seriously..you can just sit and watch them for hours…I just can’t wait to upgrade though, maybe not put in a crappie?

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

The more surface area your tanks have the growth rate is better for the fish. I always found that just because I bought bigger tanks more gallons the fish always do better with surface area, not just going increasing the heigth of the tank. I’ve wanted to start one up again for years, just too lazy. You’ve given me the bug again.

John Luebker

Quote:

Everyone’s Welcome to come drink 40’eez and watch the FISH!!!! .

Count me in – I would like to check the tank out. I have a few 12vers of silo cans I would be willing to donate they arn’t 40oz but there 24…

willowcat
    Lake City, MN

I used to catch fish that looked just like it in a lake near home when I was a kid. Didn’t have a clue what it was so I looked in this book that was out at that time called ” Know your fish”. The drawings in the book were kind of poor, but the closest thing that a Sunfish with a bass head that I could find was the Warmouth.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Did anyone ever contact Carptracker to see his thoughts?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

He said it is a Green sunfish, about halway up this thread

roscoe
    So St Paul

Its nice to know someone else doesnt have a tank at home that has fish he didnt catch in it. Its easy enough to find them in pet stores though . A few years ago i bought a couple of three inch Northerns from a pet shop and raised them . The largest was 18 inches long when i finally had to get rid of it . The last straw was when i sat and watched it try to swallow a 12 inch Eelpout. That was awesome to see. I donated the fish to Como Zoo and my family got to go and visit it for a few years . I also raised a couple of Walleyes to about 13 inches Its quite a fun hobby

RT
    Twin Cities

Does it have an abrasive jaw, almost like very little teeth. If so, it sounds like a Warmouth, mean little guys, they bite bass tackle all the time and seem to have somewhat larger mouths than their bluegill counterparts.

Ross

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Say? I was wondering if anyone asked Carptracker about this fish? I think he works with fish…or something.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.