Season 8 behind us… planning for next fall

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We appreciate all the input, guys. Keep it coming!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

It seems to get people wound up for the fish they are going after in the next few weeks.

Real time has another benefit.

This year was awesome because I didn’t feel bad not trying to brave a polar vortex after watching James and Co freeze their butts off and/or have to put miles on just to find decent weather.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Hi James,

I voted to have additional non-current shows. Thinking along the lines that your crew hits a new/hot/interesting bite during the summer and film a show for the back burner. Then you have a show or two on reserve for a mid season switch up. For instance, you could have had week there this year to take a break and shake off the bug. Or a show to use if the plan for the current week falls apart. Rather see that than a re-run. If the show never makes the air, then you have a bonus web show to put up end of year.

-J.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

You’ve done a pretty darn good job on your own without our input!

But since you asked……. If you are just looking for a filler type of show how about running some sort of contest where one or two guys win a fishing trip to be shown at some future time. You could list the lake and species and go filming with the understanding that a airing date will be determined by the weather.

When you are dealing with weather you have to be ready to get the short end of the stick as you found out this winter. And, if you think this winter was bad, wait until you get older like the rest of us.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Any thoughts toward expanding more into the hunting worlds and any additional opportunities that might open up for you? Might it provide an opportunity to expand your services? Could you reasonably offer a second filming track for sale to your network(s) at a different, non-competitive viewing time(s)? Could you do so while sharing at least part of your current organizational capacity or would everything basically have to be doubled? Just some random thoughts.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Any thoughts toward expanding more into the hunting worlds and any additional opportunities that might open up for you? Might it provide an opportunity to expand your services? Could you reasonably offer a second filming track for sale to your network(s) at a different, non-competitive viewing time(s)? Could you do so while sharing at least part of your current organizational capacity or would everything basically have to be doubled? Just some random thoughts.

Yes, lots of thought, actually. We’re definitely looking in that direction and there is a reason the tagline below our logo is “fish-hunt-ice.” We want to do it all.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

But since you asked……. If you are just looking for a filler type of show how about running some sort of contest where one or two guys win a fishing trip to be shown at some future time. You could list the lake and species and go filming with the understanding that a airing date will be determined by the weather.

When you are dealing with weather you have to be ready to get the short end of the stick as you found out this winter. And, if you think this winter was bad, wait until you get older like the rest of us.

Along Brian’s thoughts, what about having an Angler’s Challenge for a show or two whereby a person is picked and you go to them on their lake and fish head to head. Not only would the friendly competition be fun but you can show the prep that you go through in fishing what would probably be an unknown lake and the technigues you use to get on fish more quickly.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

But since you asked……. If you are just looking for a filler type of show how about running some sort of contest where one or two guys

We’re going to do this. We’re thinking once on open water, once for ice. We haven’t worked out the details yet and I have to work things out with legal and insurance but I’m going to find a way to incorporate fishing with members into our shows in 2015. They won’t be banked shows. We’ll air them in the same week we film them. I want people fishing with us to get the full experience of chasing down on IDO TV show.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, lots of thought, actually. We’re definitely looking in that direction and there is a reason the tagline below our logo is “fish-hunt-ice.” We want to do it all.

I saw that but without any hunting episodes; I didn’t know serious it was. ;-)

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I was pretty happy with what you guys put together this year. The shows where up to date and relevant. No mater what you do there will be those that want something different. For me why mess with what seems to be working.

Did think the idea of maybe doing a few mid summer shows or quick web shows might help with covering these other species. Kinda surprised some of the sponsors are not pushing for something like this. They sure seem to stock a lot of product geared towards these fisher people.

I could maybe handle one or two mid summer shows thrown in the mix say mid winter. Take it or leave it. There are plenty of other shows out there that this is their main MO.

Now maybe throw in a coastal salt water fishing show mid winter or late season and I would watch. Those trips need a little planning and just plain make a guy feel a little warmer mid winter.

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

I was thinking about the same thing with having a contest to find a fan to tag along on a shoot.

I voted to have more diversity but agree recent shows are your bread and butter, but watching 3 or 4 river walleye episodes in a row is boring. That last couple I deleted the episode once I found it to be another river walleye show.

FryDog62

I’m a fan of the show and web site – but admittedly am not an ice fishing fan or even a walleye guy. So, any shows on bass (smallmouth, largemouth, white bass), pike, muskie, etc would be a huge bonus for my viewing pleasure

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Quote:

We’re going to do this. We’re thinking once on open water, once for ice. We haven’t worked out the details yet and I have to work things out with legal and insurance but I’m going to find a way to incorporate fishing with members into our shows in 2015. They won’t be banked shows. We’ll air them in the same week we film them. I want people fishing with us to get the full experience of chasing down on IDO TV show.

SHOTGUN!!!! Oh… is that not how this works?

I LOVE the current format but would love to see the diversity of shows. The only thing I would disagree with that others have said is a saltwater show. I like something I can drive to realistically and there are already a 100 shows about fishing saltwater… IMHO of course. Either way I will continue watching! Great work guys!!!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

A great example of the impact of a show aired a couple days after filming was the Lake Trout episode on Superior. That show prompted many members to jump in the truck and head up there. “Inside info” at its best!

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Quote:

Quote:

But since you asked……. If you are just looking for a filler type of show how about running some sort of contest where one or two guys

I am sure I am not the only one, but my schedule can always make time for fishing.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Thanks again for the great season James and crew. I took your advice at Cabelas and joined IDO so this is my first post
    I for one want to say as an ice fishing fiend, I love the fact that you have so many episodes dedicated to it. I also really enjoyed the species mix this year as most of us in MN do focus on eyes, although Lake Superior LT was my favorite (probably because they’re my favorite species to chase through the ice).
    Looking forward to migrating more attention to IDO from HSO.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Great season. Only change I would like to see is to have 26 walleye episodes…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome aboard R Chuck!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

Looking forward to migrating more attention to IDO from HSO.

Careful…They’ll BAN you over there for that kind of talk

scmelik
    South Dakota

maybe it has been brought up and maybe it hasn’t I haven’t read every post.

What about doing a split season? 13 weeks of fall/ice fishing and 13 weeks starting on or after the MN opener? That way you can keep the format the way it is and yet you can get into other warmer weather species? I don’t know if FSN would allow it, I am sure it would take a renegotiation of contracts.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

James, since so many guys only fish the summer months (may through Aug), I think IDO has so much more to offer by expanding the season.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

James you and your crew do a FANTASTIC job. I tape all the shows and sometimes watch it 2 or 3 times. I like the current format even though I rarely get to ice fish with the business I am in. I also understand why some of the fellow IDOers want more species involved. Me I’m a walleye/crappie guy 98% of the time. Your idea of taking a couple of fans or whatever you want to call us is a great idea. Problem with that is there will a longer line for that ride than what’s at Disneyland. Keep up the great shows but it is really nice that they are always current.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Cut down the miles driving looking for the hottest bite, and stick with one lake and transition to what is biting. Many of us weekend warriors don’t have a whole weekend, let alone a full day. Maybe take an average fishing trip of 8hrs, try for eyes in AM, if that’s not working go for LMB or SMB, if that’s not then northern, crappies whatever really.

The tug is the drug they would say, and being a multi species angler offers a better opportunity to enjoy the water any given day or bite. Love the show keep them coming

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

Cut down the miles driving looking for the hottest bite, and stick with one lake and transition to what is biting. Many of us weekend warriors don’t have a whole weekend, let alone a full day. Maybe take an average fishing trip of 8hrs, try for eyes in AM, if that’s not working go for LMB or SMB, if that’s not then northern, crappies whatever really.

The tug is the drug they would say, and being a multi species angler offers a better opportunity to enjoy the water any given day or bite. Love the show keep them coming

+1

I would rather learn how you figure out a lake and find the active fish on the lake you are currently on or nearby lakes because of certain weather and water conditions, rather than calling up a buddy 500 miles away to see if anything is biting there. 99% of your audience don’t have the luxury of traveling across country to find a hot bite.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Quote:

+1

I would rather learn how you figure out a lake and find the active fish on the lake you are currently on or nearby lakes because of certain weather and water conditions, rather than calling up a buddy 500 miles away to see if anything is biting there. 99% of your audience don’t have the luxury of traveling across country to find a hot bite.

Just remember, they’ve got to keep it entertaining for the broader audience for 30 mins. Where those of us that are less about the meat and more about improving knowledge/technique/etc. more folks probably need to see tails over the gunnels

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I would rather learn how you figure out a lake and find the active fish on the lake you are currently on or nearby lakes because of certain weather and water conditions,

That’s all we did all winter long. As far as hot bites are concerned I’ve never seen a worse winter with the fish in a more consistent funk. For your viewing pleasure please reference episodes 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15 AND 16.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

i voted yes but I wanted to include an asterisk.

The great thing about your show James is that I never have to look at a Large Mouth Bass!!

Your show is unique. The the only reason Gillespie has been successfull is because we don’t have to listen a southern drawl exlain carolina rigging bass is a farm pond in mississippi.

Stick to your guns and I will remain faithfull. I don’t hate Musky fishing but I am sure it would be a difficult thing to teach with just a single fill-in episode. So I say more Northern, Great Lake/Mille Lacs/Flambeau flowage smallies, crappie and sunfish open water fishing. Lake trout too!

Oh ya, and i always turned the channel when I realized Tony Dean wouldn’t be fishing in the episode but instead hunting. Billions of hunting shows out there too.

If bass fisherman can watch Billions of crankbait/senko worm/etc episodes of bass fishing, then i can watch all the walleye shows you can muster because absoluting NO ONE does it. Even if you go to the same lakes every season.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Oh ya, and i always turned the channel when I realized Tony Dean wouldn’t be fishing in the episode but instead hunting. Billions of hunting shows out there too.

Great info, Joe. Thank you. As for our plan/desire to add hunting I should point out that no hunting show will ever be part of our 26 week block of fishing shows. And I won’t be the host of those hunting shows because my wife says she’ll end me if I even talk about it out loud.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

James your shows might have been more diversified if our past winter wasn’t something right out of the Ice Age era. I didn’t think warm weather was ever gonna get here. This winter kicked my . On the bright side you should have sold a truck load of IDO hoodies.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

How about the best of both world and split some shows into 2 segments with one being current and the other a summer segment. The current shows are a great idea, but in the dead of winter you might have to film all day just to catch 10 fish. Condense those shows down and plug in a summer show. The marketing side of me says it would be a good idea to work out an advertising deal with these resorts where you film the show this summer and air it right before sportshow season. People are also looking at boats during the middle of winter, so the open water episodes would also be timely to help people decide on which boat they prefer.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.