Season 8 behind us… planning for next fall

• mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Its probably been mostly said, but I want to reiterate my thoughts… I LIKE very much the episodes that are time specific, as I am a huge Gillespie fan!!! I like the fact that I can take advantage of a bite near my home or even drive to where you might have fished to do the same…

I also voted yes, because if I am learning something regarding a body of water, species I like to chase, etc., I am all in as well. I love to fish for SMB’s planning to do this weekend as well as open up the musky season by fishing a day as well. Got into a musky league that starts on Thursday… and as Hoffies said, you can have all the LMB shows that someones else watches, although if I get on a hot bite with them, I am not leaving them for a while…

If you have the time to hook up with someone who will help you produce a saltwater show, that would still be good stuff… Not saying your expertise would not allow you to go south and put together a show, it would just seem to be more productive and efficient, please just don’t go to Venice, LA, except for your own pleasure!!!

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Just a FYI, as I’m sure you know, some of the best Muskie fishing happens in mid November and there are a few bodies of water that would produce huge fish. If you were to tape a early November show and air it within a week or two, it’s still pretty current, even if the lakes are now locked up.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Love the shows and the format, but I sure would love to see a Memorial day jig pitching episode on Fort Peck so that means I vote for some noncurrent episodes. How about 20 current and 6 episodes for you guys to play with throughout the year.

Bassn Dan

Being timely with the shows is great, but it’s turning the show into an ALL ice fishing show.

Maybe starting in February go to an every-other-week taped open water episode. Your families will probably appreciate having you home a bit more in winter too.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Agreed, I’d much rather watch open water fishing towards the end of winter when I’m all ice fished out and dreaming of spring.

Invader440
    Fosston, Mn

Quote:

maybe it has been brought up and maybe it hasn’t I haven’t read every post.

What about doing a split season? 13 weeks of fall/ice fishing and 13 weeks starting on or after the MN opener? That way you can keep the format the way it is and yet you can get into other warmer weather species? I don’t know if FSN would allow it, I am sure it would take a renegotiation of contracts.

I agree with this idea too if it would be possible with the network.

Duke M

I try never to miss the ice fishing shows,and that’s not said lightly. Most outdoor shows are a take it or leave it. Don’t plan major changes based on last Winter’s extreme conditions. I only got on the ice 45 times last Winter and success was sketchy. I’m not a good one to base open water show decisions on. Once open water occurs life gets way too busy to get out much. I know I won’t bother watching bass or muskie shows. I do appreciate the same week format and the emphasis on local mid-west action.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James, since so many guys only fish the summer months (may through Aug), I think IDO has so much more to offer by expanding the season.

We’d be interested in expanding the season through June but not much past that. I’ve poured through viewership stats made available to me by various networks and once you get into July people flat out STOP watching fishing shows. My guess is it is a “why watch it when you can be out doing it?” mentality. So if we did expand the season it would take some additional sponsor support and we likely wouldn’t run past June. Of course that would give us plenty of time to cover some of the “other” species that are off limits during our current open water broadcast season. But that’s neither here nor there at this point. We’re limited to a 26 week season for the time being.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

So after taking in all the feedback and doing some research of my own behind the scenes here’s the plan we’ve come up with.

We’re going to shoot 4 open water episodes and have them on-hand to air once interest in ice fishing starts to wane. Thanks for all the input everyone!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I think the show is great as is, but here is my $0.02:
    -monthly or weekly 5 minute videos on YouTube with tips and tricks, bloopers or behind the scenes video.
    -for us Metro area folks I would love to see a couple shows on Pool 2 or local lakes finding the bite
    -Kansas Wiper episode
    -a show with BK as co host targeting big walleyes!
    -I also like the idea someone mentioned about letting a viewer fish with you

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

-monthly or weekly 5 minute videos on YouTube with tips and tricks, bloopers or behind the scenes video.
    -for us Metro area folks I would love to see a couple shows on Pool 2 or local lakes finding the bite
    -Kansas Wiper episode

We’ve got some surprises coming up third week of June that will address much of what you’re looking for. Stay tuned for that announcement later this week.

NDskeeter

Come across the border into North Dakota for some spring pike action. Lake Sakakawea is really good for early pike as long as the ice is off in your time line.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Hater!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

-Kansas Wiper episode

We’ve got some surprises coming up third week of June that will address much of what you’re looking for. Stay tuned for that announcement later this week.

Can’t wait, I’ll be checking daily!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-Kansas Wiper episode

Can’t wait, I’ll be checking daily!

That announcement will go up a bit before the noon hour tomorrow – May 28.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Hater!

No hater here! You’ve got a nice walleye in your avatar and I thought maybe you were starting to get the marble eye itch! Also, anybody with 55,000 posts deserves to be on TV!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The avatar was photoshoped…but I have no excuse for the number of posts.

I’ll be watching for the surprises too James!

Pack your suitcase Ben!!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Hater!

That could end up being the blooper show.

desperado

Quote:

The avatar was photoshoped…

that should be obvious; isn’t the nose a much brighter red in person ?

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

8 seasons already?

Holy crap time flies.

fireline
    Rochester

Quote:

We appreciate all the input, guys. Keep it coming!

I too would like to see more on the St. Croix for Walleyes both open water and ice .

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

We appreciate all the input, guys. Keep it coming!

I too would like to see more on the St. Croix for Walleyes both open water and ice .

That’s a good idea too, I’m sure the Croix is feeling a little left out

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Maybe you could save three minutes of air time each show and do a Tip Segment from BKs world. Kind of like a Paul Harvey/Andy Rooney segment.

Good Day

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Less commercials = more fishing

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I have to watch em’ on U Tube, you can’t get much less a commercial than that!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I have to watch em’ on U Tube, you can’t get much less a commercial than that!

Yeah, I hear that

How about an hour long show, cause a 1/2 goes to quick

andy bice
    NULL

Old shows is fine. Can u add the super tanker back into the intro?

Viewing 28 posts - 61 through 88 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.