trap gun for a high school kid

• eyesonly

My boys high school is starting a trap team and he decided to sign up. He is a 6 ft tall 150 pound 15 year old. I don’t have much extra money with his twin sister being a hockey player and all thier other activities but I need some help on what shotgun to buy for him. We are bow hunters and of course die hard walleye anglers so I don’t know much about trap shooting. He is left handed. Thanks in advance- thanks, eyes only

onestout
    Hudson, WI

How much does he shoot trap now? If he is new I would use a field grade gun and start from there. Any gun will work, the most important thing is how well the gun fits the person. Trap shooting is 10% gun and 70% gun fitment and 20% skill IMHO. A well fitted gun makes everything else come together. Don’t think to much about it if new, just get a gun and have fun. The wife and I have a fair amount into our trap setups including a recipe that we like for our loads but at best that will only help for 1-2 birds out of 100. Any other more specific questions let us know.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I’ve busted thousands of targets with an 870 express. While not a trap gun, it is a great all around shot gun for a fairly inexpensive price. If you want to get a true trap gun, figure on spending more than a grand for a gun that has no practical purpose outside of a trap range. I look at trap shooting differently though, strictly as practice for ducks and pheasants. If I were a true trap shooter, I’m sure one of my many shotguns would be an actual trap gun.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

winchester super X 3 are great guns look for a “Winchester super X 3 light” its called a light because it will only shoot up to 3″ not 3 1/2″ bringing the price down. i think you could probably get a used one for 500 maybe allot less not for sure though.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

My son participated in the HS trap shooting league last year and while he was quite familiar with guns and shooting he just used his field gun. You will see it all from the $200 field gun to the $10,000 Perazzi’s and Krieghoff’s at the range. My son had an awesome time and I took a team of shooters to the State competition in Alexandria and it was a blast!

I would start basic and maybe even borrow a gun. If you are looking to buy, find a shop where he can shoulder a wie variety and find something he is comfortable with. If he is a novice shooter, being comfortable with the feel and workings of a gun will be the most important part. Any action will work – pump, semi-auto, or break action. A pump action is the least expensive of the options.

Good luck!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I wish they would have had that when I was in high school. That sounds awesome.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on. Good advice from all. A used Remington 1100 is an affordable a nice semiauto option.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Our kids use a lot of 870 expresses to start. Remington 1100’s are real popular because of low recoil. But they are somewhat hard to find used with the popularity of youth trap shooting programs.

Gundy

dead-weight
    prescot wi

Perazzi mx10 rs would be a good starter gun

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Some trap clubs have a variety of guns for rental or free use with annual membership to help determine model or action.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

To start just get a 870 express,my boy has broke a lot of birds with it and beat a lot of way more expensive guns, both in trap and sporting clays . I agree the fit part of it is the most important. just start and enjoy the sport,every thing will progress from there.

Stan

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I look for a decent used o/u 12guage. It will serve him well for both trap and field use. When hunting one chooses his shots more carefully knowing there is only one follow up shot. On the trap range, there is no chasing empties when shooting a double gun.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Agreed with the above about fitting the gun. A good fit naturally produces better form. My daughter is a 21-22 of 25 shooter with an old Ithaca Model M66 lever action single shot 20 gauge. Used, thy are very inexpensive and a quality gun.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

My Dad has a 12g 1100 that he was looking to sell, hasn’t been used it a number of years. He lives real close to you.

If it sounds like something you’d be interested in, shoot me a PM.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

John is correct

870 or a Browning BPS will do the trick – stay with a 12 guage

Dog

BBKK
    IA

If it was me, I’d get him a cheaper 20 gauge o/u… If you have to get a 12 for competition then I’d get an 1100.

The reason for the o/u is because of the reliability, not much to break on one the day before shooting. Plus since he is a lefty, he can operate the thumb safety easily with his left hand, he’ll have to reach around to take the safety off a non-lefty auto.

But, whatever you do.. teach him to shoot a RIGHT handed auto or pump. If he can get used to it, it will make buying guns and borrowing guns much easier. I know a few lefties that shoot right guns and won’t even pick up a lefty semi-auto.

A stoeger condor would be a good choice. You can probably find one for sub $500. But if that is too much, look for a used one in good condition. Like I said, not much to break on one.. and they are relatively easy to repair.

I shoot an american arms silver 1 for trap and upland. It is long discontinued, but I would suggest one if you happen across it. They were budget guns, retailing for $500 in the ’90s, so you could probably find one for around $300 on gunbroker.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

winchester super X 3 are great guns look for a “Winchester super X 3 light” its called a light because it will only shoot up to 3″ not 3 1/2″ bringing the price down. i think you could probably get a used one for 500 maybe allot less not for sure though.

Great gun, but not for trap. For practice loads (7/8 or 3/4), the sx3 will not cycle so you cannot shoot doubles in practice. You’ll have to shoot 3 dram 1oz or 1 1/8 for practice and competition.

Another thing I forgot to say in my previous post, was if the money is there.. why don’t you get into it as well? Fantastic hobby and sport to get into. Then you two can take up reloading as well, if you can find powder and shot anymore Reloading is another great hobby, just too bad I can’t find any powder or shot for a reasonable price.. reloader hasn’t been touched in a while.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

A stoeger condor would be a good choice. You can probably find one for sub $500.

Another solid choice. I have one of those that has also broken a lot of clay. It is my go to pheasant gun unless I’m in south dakota where multiple bird flushes are common. It makes a nice gun on the range, and as Kevin stated, there is really nothing to break. Thumb safety on top makes it easy for left or right handers. For the price, its a tough gun to beat no matter what anyone says about stoeger guns. I have 3 stoegers that I’ve won at DU events and like shooting them all.

eyesonly

Thank you guys. All great, thoughtful answers. I really appreciate it. They won’t let the kids shoot reloads for some reason,safety Maybe ? He’s really looking forward to it. He’s only shot rifles in the past and killed three nice bucks already during youth hunts so this will be different. Thanks again. Eyes

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I wouldn’t try to switch him to right handed ,If he’s left eye dominate,because you shoot shot gun better with both eyes open and you won’t be looking where the guns pointed. I have shot left handed with rt hand guns and it never bothered me. I tryed a left hand safety once and just about broke everything try to take the safety off, after 1 weekend I went back to the rt hand safety.if you watch for sales, you can buy new almost for the same as reloads,the shot prices are getting rediculus and I have lots of red dot,primers and wads.
    Stan

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

I wouldn’t try to switch him to right handed ,If he’s left eye dominate,because you shoot shot gun better with both eyes open and you won’t be looking where the guns pointed. I have shot left handed with rt hand guns and it never bothered me. I tryed a left hand safety once and just about broke everything try to take the safety off, after 1 weekend I went back to the rt hand safety.if you watch for sales, you can buy new almost for the same as reloads,the shot prices are getting rediculus and I have lots of red dot,primers and wads.
    Stan

Good point about eye dominance, that may play a factor.

Here’s another thought for the left handed question.

I’m not a trap shooter but have a browning bps and a Rem 870. The browning has the safety on top which makes is ambidextrous. I’m sure other models have this as well, might be something you want.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Eyes,

Does your son shoot a rifle right or left handed? Again, I would suggest letting him decide which way is the most comfortable for him and stick with it. An over/under is a great ambidextrous option and there are some reasonable options that have been mentioned.

eyesonly

Thanks Stan. Wouldn’t shooting a right handed semiautomatic left handed be dangerous because of the ejected shells flying across his face ? I have 3 beautiful shotguns he could use but I assumed that would be dangerous to his eyes

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Doesn’t the BPS also spit the shell out the bottom? Not that you can’t deal with a shell being ejected across face, but I’d imagine it may be annoying (I don’t know, I am righty).

eyesonly

He does Everything Left handed. Baseball, eating and shoots a bow left handed. I think your right about the over under

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Thank you guys. All great, thoughtful answers. I really appreciate it. They won’t let the kids shoot reloads for some reason,safety Maybe ? He’s really looking forward to it. He’s only shot rifles in the past and killed three nice bucks already during youth hunts so this will be different. Thanks again. Eyes

Correct, that is for all highschool comps. No reloads for safety reasons, but he can shoot reloads for practice at the range (where the real money is spent!). He’ll shoot 100 shells during competition in one day, but if he gets into it, expect a case a week during practice. He’ll definitely want to be shooting some quality shells during competition, AA’s, nitro 27, STS, gold medal, etc. but you can get him cheapos for practicing. Like any sport, lots of practice is the only way to get good at it. Trap shooting is pure instincts, he has to develop them to get good at it. There is no aiming in trap like you do a rifle, its pure instinct and pointing of the barrel(s).

Trap is generally an expensive hobby, but it doesn’t have to be if you do some searching. Shop around online and look for sales on ammo with free shipping from out of state. This time of year you should be able to find cases of promo loads (top gun, win universal, fio, nobelsport, etc) for sub $50 a case shipped to your door with no tax. Some good ones to watch, rogers sporting goods, sportsmansguide, glens army navy, cabelas (they don’t charge IA tax, not sure about others), prestleys outdoors, and others. Ammoseek.com is a good one to locate shells.

Around august is the time to stock up on ammo, all the big name companies run sales for dove season and you can regularly pick up cases for $40-45 shipped to your door.

Another thing to check is shotgunworld.com. If reloading interests your son, make a post in the reloading section and ask if there is anyone in your area. Most of those guys are really nice and would let him sit and reload with their supplies for cost (around $5 a box probably). Something to look into if he is the DIY type, it really is fun and that $5 a box equals about an $8 box of premium loads off the shelf.

Once he gets set up right and gets some time at the range, I bet he will love it. It is one of the most enjoyable sports on the planet IMO.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Thanks Stan. Wouldn’t shooting a right handed semiautomatic left handed be dangerous because of the ejected shells flying across his face ? I have 3 beautiful shotguns he could use but I assumed that would be dangerous to his eyes

No. He has to wear eye and ear protecting while shooting. The shells will go past him so fast he won’t even be able to see them. They will fly pretty close to straight out so they won’t hit him. The powder in the eyes is the risk, but with glasses he will be fine. Another plus for the o/u though, no risk.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Keven said it,you have to wear eye and ear protection so no problem ,I hunt with shooting glasses on,I,m still carrying lead from a duck hunting accident when I was younger.I shot a 1100 rem w a shell catcher for years trap shooting.
    Stan

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Doesn’t the BPS also spit the shell out the bottom?

Yep, with safety on the top/back of the receiver.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.