Fleet Farm gets it… well, almost

• KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Good for Fleet Farm. Reason #37 why it’s my favorite store.

zachabbott
    NULL

Yea, Fleet Farm did pretty good . Not like Menards

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I understood your first post Pug, I read it both ways what it could of meant. I read your choice of wording as atleast some companies close giving time to their employees to be where they should be, not making their employees go for the buck but to be able to spend it at home like their supposed to be able to do. And now there’s enough companies closing because of thanksgiving that aren’t money drivin, that people have come to applauding that? ya I agree as its about time.

On a side note I was down at the local chain store/pharmacy and wished a long time employee a happy Thanksgiving and asked him if he was going to be with his family, his answer was, not in this business, with a sad frown. I could tell he wanted to be with his family but what the store wanted was more important. Personally I think every business ought to be closed except the necessary ones. Everybody ought to be able to spend some of this time with family but because some just can’t, maybe a 4 hour shift to give those people atleast few hours with their families I think is in order.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The line up at the Blaine FF was HUGE this morning.

Many interviewed said they came there to patronize FF because they kept their doors shut on T-Day(?)

Personally I think it was because of the free cow/pillow they were giving away.

Either way, I don’t think they lost any sales by being closed on Thanksgiving.

big_g
    Isle, MN

of course they did… couldn’t hardly have shopped there yesterday ???

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Personal time off is a big book sometimes but maybe not so big and some might not want to hear it at all but,,I think it can be read that people want to sit down and share this time with family and reap and give thanks from what seeds they have sown that year, after all isn’t that what Thanks Givings original intentions were for.

People will work harder if they think their employer understands what they want, like getting Thanksgiving, Christmas and Newyears day off and atleast a weeks paid vacation off a year because it makes people feel appreciated and Id tell them that’s why I’m doing it.

In an ideal scenerio, If an employer gets his help together the next morning and says,,,how was everybodys Thanksgiving because mine was good and that he was also able to spend his time with his family, I’ll bet that his workers output would be more energetic from them feeling appreciated.

If people can’t spend some independent time the way they want to then their job will more then likely become drudgery even for the ones that like their jobs. I even see a few days or more be given to each employee just for personal time. How profitable and productive is it when everybody in your company wants time off and them all having to work almost every day of the year, compared to them seeing their job as not so bad, it may not be their perfect job but atleast they have some personal time off. Id rather use what some consider that feely squeezy thing before Id make everybody do what I think needs to be done and I’ll bet Id get better output, if they understand why I’m doing it. If some people don’t mind working or want to and they can put a crew together then let them work if they want, it works both ways. People need those important times off during the year of they loose their value.

When I used to hang drywall every day for a living we worked in teams of 3. Two hangers and one guy that all he did was put screws in. Occasionally one of us guys would want the day off for some reason and Id say ok. Those guys would come back to work the next day and be willing to work hard because then they understood its a give and take type work to get rewards. It works both ways for the employer, both the employer and the help has to understand give and take, if not your help sometimes burns out.

On another note I quit giving my money to Wal-Mart and Mickey’ds, but its just my personal opinion and I know some people can’t because they may not have another choice.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Kudos to the Pizza Hut manager who refused to open his store on Thanksgiving. He got fired, but Kudos to him anyway.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I heard about that too, wonder how much Pizza hut will loose now nation wide, they just became another place I don’t want to spend my money.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Before the days of big box stores you had mom & pop businesses. Almost no one was open on a Sunday or a Holiday. Now with the mega stores we have almost no mom & pop and in a lot of cases no families either. Some thing is bass ackward in my opinion.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You know 4seasons, I don’t know if its the size of the store or what tradition has dictated to us regionally. It seems that some of the local things, like bait, are more regional then store size. Bait and comfort is like the ambulance service that makes it just a little easier. Bait is for the ones who ate early or whatever and the ambulance is for necessity. In anyones book bait is more popular then an ambulance, but we still have to have both.

herb
    6ft under

Our bait shop in Lansing in the 60’s and 70’s was open 24hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. Because that’s when people fished.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.