Fleet Farm gets it… well, almost

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m totally cool with that. All major stores should be closed on Thu. People can survive a day with a few gas stations and convenience stores open.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think ambulance drivers and doctors should also have the day off.

Has it really come to this? Applauding a business for closing on Thanksgiving?

desperado

Quote:

Sadly, Yes

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I simply see it as a positive for the employees and their family’s.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Showing some respect for families

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Showing some respect for families

Since my post contradicts itself with sarcasm, I should point out I was getting at was that certain stores being open Thanksgiving shouldn’t be the norm.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Whatever Pug. You ornery #$*.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was going to write sob but wasn’t sure if you would be offended even though I am funning.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I usually don’t get offended unless I misinterpret a reply, especially by someone who I get along with or though I shared friendly banter. And then I go crying to Brian, right Brian

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I managed a pretty well known drug store for a long time and we were open 365 days a year. Now one would think it makes sense if someone is in need of a prescription(poor planning like if someone needs booze on a Sunday) But heres what got me, The pharmacist had the holidays off and the pharmacy part of the store was closed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Mrs Grouse and I were so appalled at the growing fad for retailers opening on Thanksgiving that we made a vow to spend nothing with these retailers when it comes to the holiday shopping.

The whole thing is beyond stupid to me because there’s not one jot of evidence that says that being open = more spending. It just spreads the existing spend out over 1 more day, dumbasses.

Please everyone, don’t forget to Shop Small on Saturday. Small, indpendent businesses deserve a look and many of them are sponsors on here.

Nice to see Fleet caring about workers AND being an intelligent business that questions the herd mentality.

Grouse

bigpike

Retailer’s being open on Thanksgiving is plain stupid and greedy. I applaud FF for there effort to keep family in a few holidays

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

For twenty five years Ann and I have done the bulk of our Christmas shopping in downtown White Bear. It’s relaxing and has a nice small town feel, the merchants are very friendly and engaging. We will be doing some in Park Rapids this coming weekend after enjoying Thanksgiving at the cabin.
    The quaint feel really gets us in the spirit of the season.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Well, they almost nailed it… It can also be for Hunting or Fishing

Nice to see a Major retailer, and IDO sponser realize a Holiday is more important than a profit

http://hudson-wi.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/mills-fleet-farm-ad-were-closed-on-thanksgiving

Much more honorable than a certain big box store than generates more than $1bb a day in revenue and Net Income of $15bb asking the public for donations for their employees…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Grouse,

One thing you are not considering. Many if not most of the people working on T-day could care less about the Holiday. I’d say on any given day that 90+ percent of the cashiers at Target are wearing burkas. I’d fair to guess they are happy to log the hours. No different than me working Eid al-Adha. Just sayin….

In 10 years nothing will close. It’s been well over 10 years since the company I work for has put up a Christmas Tree in the lobby. Times are changing.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Everts landings will be open on Thanksgiving AND Christmas.

Bait Shop might be closed to give their poor under paid, over worked employee time off though…to go fishing…once.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Grouse,

One thing you are not considering. Many if not most of the people working on T-day could care less about the Holiday. I’d say on any given day that 90+ percent of the cashiers at Target are wearing burkas. I’d fair to guess they are happy to log the hours. No different than me working Eid al-Adha. Just sayin….

In 10 years nothing will close. It’s been well over 10 years since the company I work for has put up a Christmas Tree in the lobby. Times are changing.

-J.

I spent many years scheduling people to work on holidays in retail and trust me, 95% of the people hated it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Only in America, can you get run over by some lady trying to buy a gift.. on the exact day she just gave thanks for all that she had…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Grouse,

One thing you are not considering. Many if not most of the people working on T-day could care less about the Holiday. I’d say on any given day that 90+ percent of the cashiers at Target are wearing burkas.
    -J.

You must shop at some very different Target stores. I have never seen a Target worker in a burqa, which looks like this:

I assume you are referring to women who practice what is known as hijab, which is the covering of the hair and neck with a scarf or other covering?

I doubt very much that even a majority of the workforce regardless of culture or national origin would object to ANY fixed day off that they knew they could spend with their families. As it is, we are now down to one or two or three at most for most retail workers.

Working with both Indian (dot, not feather), Asian, and Middle-eastern collegues, I can tell you that there is not a hostile or resentful view of our Christian-based holidays. Mostly, they are met with a shrug and an attitude that no day off is a bad deal.

My family “converted” to western-based Christian holidays some time ago. Our “real” Christmas was (is) on January 7 (give or take), but I can’t recall hearing that anyone was particularly resentful or bitter about it. The point being the same no matter which day.

Cultural change can be a good thing. I, for one, am VERY glad we ditched the traditional Christmas feast. What was the traditional Bohemian feast, you might ask? A carp.

No, really. Change is good.

Grouse

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Quote:

Quote:

Sadly, Yes

Unfortunately, the Almighty Dollar has taken over completely. I can remember when everybody was closed every Sunday! (Except restaurants.) even most gas stations were closed on Sundays. I remember driving by the local grocery store one Thanksgiving or Christmas morning, and it was open. I got my stuff (saved me a trip to Red Wing) and then found out that the owner had just come down to get something his wife needed in the kitchen, and was able to help 8 others who had been in the same boat! Just another small town holiday!

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

Much more honorable than a certain big box store than generates more than $1bb a day in revenue and Net Income of $15bb asking the public for donations for their employees

You need to know the whole story on what you just posted not what the very liberal media and big time unions have to say

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Menards also had an ad that they will be closed on turkey day

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Please Start a New Thread

stuart
    Mn.

Vice President of Fleet Farm,Stewart Mills, is running for congress next year.He is worth taking a little of your time to check out.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Grouse,

-J.

This isn’t a religious holiday. Its an American holiday.

I’ve got 2 guys that work for me (Muslim and Hindu, both American citizens now) that both celebrate Thanksgiving with family.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Grouse,….. Orthodox???

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I guess we can blame the greedy stores for being open. Or we can assume the responsibility of teaching our families the Thanksgiving tradition and it’s value to your family.

I agree this crap is driven by the almighty dollar. But just realize if the store opened and NOBODY SHOPPED they wouldn’t be open would they?

Remember when we point a finger at others we have 3 pointing back at us. If you wanna stop the stores from opening, quit shopping there.

Have a great Thanksgiving everybody.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Grouse,….. Orthodox???

No, according to Mrs. Grouse, my whole family is highly Unorthodox.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.