Gas Grill

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Hello –

Well, I never did end up buying a gas grill last year but plan on buying one this Spring. I have been debating between a Weber gas grill or infrared gas grill. Anyone have any first hand experience with the infrared? And second is it worth the $900 – $1,000 for a Weber?

Thanks,

Chad

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

I purchased a Holland gas grill few years ago [$700.00]and love it. Also considered weber grills and a couple of others. The holland has stainless steel cooking grate that removes very easy for cleaning. Also a stainless drip pan so you get no flame flare up at all. You can put chicken and potatoes on and don’t even need to look at them for 50-60 minutes or so,makes the best charcoaled chicken I have ever had.I have cooked anything from fish to pork chops on it and love it. It would be well worth a look. I have had mine for 10 years and I use it alot still in great shape.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I purchased a Holland gas grill few years ago and love it. Also considered weber grills and a couple of others. The holland has stainless steel cooking grate that removes very easy for cleaning. Also a stainless drip pan so you get no flame flare up at all. You can put chicken and potatoes on and don’t even need to look at them for 50-60 minutes or so.I have cooked anything from fish to pork chops on it and love it. It would be well worth a look. I have had mine for 10 years and I use it alot still in great shape.

It is important to note (for those that do not know) that the Holland more of an over than a grill. My parents have one and if you want to grill this unit stinks. Once you decide you want to bake vs. grill wtih the HOlland you are good to go.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I can vouch for the Weber being worth the $$. I wouldn’t go with any other type of grill again. I get a chuckle every time a neighbor gets a big old stainless grill and I watch them deal with flare up after flare up.

I bought mine 13 years ago, and it is still going strong. Weber all the way for me.

ET

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Any grill with a cover and heat is a oven. Just that with a Holland you don’t have to stand over it and put out flames or have burnt food if you don’t. The only way you don’t have a oven is a open top grill that you use charcoal with and not gas. Them also you need to watch steady or you will have burnt food in a second if it flares up.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

I agree any grill that will avoid flare ups is worth the $. Because if you have to have the cover open your lookin and not cookin.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree with Cougar. Weber all the way. Wish I would have bought a Weber first, rather than after buying two el cheapos and a truckload of parts to keep them running.

Advantages of Weber:

– Vastly, vastly, vastly superior quality. Just lift the lid of a weber compared to a wannabe. All you need to know is in the weight.

– Parts are and will be available forever. I just bought a new grate for the Weber Kettle that we gave my father in 1977.

Buy a Weber and you buy once.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can only vouch for Weber 3-burner. I wouldnt buy anything else. The thing is you dont have to for a long time after you purchace. I’ve lost track of how many years old mine is. I replaced the grates two years ago. Grill sits outside with cover most of the year and still looks good. Works better than ever. DO NOT save a few bucks by buying the 2-burner.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Totally agree with Cougar. Weber all the way. Wish I would have bought a Weber first, rather than after buying two el cheapos and a truckload of parts to keep them running.

Advantages of Weber:

– Vastly, vastly, vastly superior quality. Just lift the lid of a weber compared to a wannabe. All you need to know is in the weight.

– Parts are and will be available forever. I just bought a new grate for the Weber Kettle that we gave my father in 1977.

Buy a Weber and you buy once.

Grouse

X2

Our first grill my FW bought at Home Depot, whatever they had on sale at the time 8 years ago.

After seeing paint peel off the top hinged cover, replacing the grates every other year, having to use a Lighter to start it as clicker never worked properly and then replacing the rock once, we gave up and went with a weber 2-years ago. No peeling paint, No Rust, Starters work everytime the first time.

Cheap ones just ain’t worth the problems.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Why mess with perfection?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I see a lot of Weber vs. entry level comments here. Has anyone ever tried any other top tier brands?

I know Weber is good but I wonder about experiences with Napolean and others.

I have been researching the heck out of grills this spring. I have been using an entry level Char Broil for about 10 years now without issue. I have replaced the burner and grating in it once in those 10 years but otherwise it is a good unit. It is garage kept and used 12 month out of the year.

I figured it was time to upgrade however. I want a unit that is better designed for more even heat and control. Plus I want a rotisserie with an infrared rotisserie burner.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Charcoal is for people with patience!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Another vote for Webber, I have a very basic Weber gas grill, I looked through the Webber web site and I do not see the one I have there so I guess they do not make it anymore. Looks like the one I have would be close to the SPIRIT E-310. To be honest I do not remember if ours is a 2 or 3 burner I will have to go look at it. We have had ours for around ten years I do not remember how much we paid for it but it was not the least expensive grill we could have bought and it was not the most expensive. It has stood the test of time and is still in very good shape, the thing I like best about the Webber is you get no flame flare up at all and the disposable drip pan that fits inside the stainless steel drip pan so you do not have a drip pan to clean up just throw it away and replace it with a new one no fuss no muss. We spent a little more on the Webber but I feel it was worth it and I would not hesitate to buy another Webber when the day come that I need a new grill.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Charcoal is for people with patience!

Do you want to drink one beer, or a 6 pack? That’s the real difference between gas and charcoal.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I have 1 year into my Weber Q series. I am very pleased with it. My only wish is that it came in a bigger size. I purchased the largest available, but with big parties, I still fall behind. We grill steaks, burgers, crab legs, chicken, pork, fish, and shrimp. Vwe have been very happy with the results when there isn’t human error involved.

FDR

glenn57
    cold spring mn

weber hands down. and just so i am politically correct i own 3 gas webers and 3 charcoal webers!!!!!!! and i might add, when or if you do buy a weber………buy the weber cover not the generic knock off. a bit more cash but well worth it.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

buy the weber cover not the generic knock off. a bit more cash but well worth it.

X2

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Beats my $200 grill from HD that lasts maybe 5 years.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What really goes great with a Webber grill or any other grill is a nice gas line ran from the house out to it. Never have to haul those 20# tanks to get filled. Natural gas is a lot cheaper and it never runs out.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

What really goes great with a Webber grill or any other grill is a nice gas line ran from the house out to it. Never have to haul those 20# tanks to get filled. Natural gas is a lot cheaper and it never runs out.

we had that option when we hooked up our camper to a 120 lb tank but chose not to…..sometimes i think we made a boo-boo!!!!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

The only place this really falls down is when you get in a hurry because it started to rain. So you pull the burgers off and … wait for it… forget to turn off the gas.

My cousin did this and about a week later he looked out the window and saw his grill steaming off the morning dew…

Grouse

aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Better then any gas grill – The Big Green Egg! You can cook a pizza in that S.O.B.
    Low and slow – gives you more time to drink

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I spent the money on a weber a few years ago. For the life of me I could not imagine that it was going to be worth it. Seemed to me at the time that a grill was a grill and there were a lot of nice looking grills on the market for a lot less $$$. But I decided to trust friends and am sure glad I did.

With a weber the quality and consistency of what comes off my grill has gone up significantly. I still cringe at what it cost, but would have to say it has been worth it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Better then any gas grill – The Big Green Egg! You can cook a pizza in that S.O.B.
    Low and slow – gives you more time to drink

Uh oh. Who left the door open and let in the member from The Cult of The Big Green Egg?

You guys are a bunch of weirdos. Seriously, it’s not normal or healthy for you to love a cooking appliance THAT much.

Be honest now. When you heard there were guys out there making homemade yogurt in their Big Green Eggs, did you say to yourself, “Hmmm. Great idea. I’ll have to try that.”

Be honest, you did, didn’t you?

BTW, I make pizza on the Weber gas grill all the time.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

As do I, on a Weber charcoal kettle. Hot and fast is the way to do pizza. Dang near any grill can do that.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

As do I, on a Weber charcoal kettle. Hot and fast is the way to do pizza. Dang near any grill can do that.

Totally agree, and I do it on my Weber Kettle as well. The kettle really excells on a pizza combo that benefits from adding a smoked flavor. Chicken is my favorite. Dial down the vents and close the top one completely, add some water-soaked hickory or apple chips, awesome.

BTW, learning how to set up the kettle for indirect heat was the greatest grill cooking revelation that I’ve learned. I use an tin bread pan with holes drilled in the bottom. Keep that fire off to the side and the kettle becomes a hot smoker instead of a grill. Whole new possibilities opend up as soon as somebody taught me to do the indirect heat.

Here’s one for you Ralph. Fire up for indirect cooking and get a small, young turkey. Rub with herbs and olive oil. Slow cook keeping the Weber as cold as possible using the vents and an absolute minimum amout of coal. 12 – 15 chunks is the max I try to use to start. Add coal only as necessary to keep the fire from going out. Turn turkey every hour or so for even smoking, but don’t open the lid unless necessary.

Drop smoking wood chunks one at a time on the coals. Keep the top vent closed. Don’t oversmoke, just a piece of wood now and then, you’re smoking a turkey not electing a pope. Cook to 80% of recommended temp for the weight. Cover with foil, finish in oven per usual turkey cooking like ma used to do.

Takes all day. Worth cooking it for twice that long. The only problem is you’ll wish you’d done two of them at once. Which, BTW, you can if you go to a butcher and get small enough ones.

Grouse

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I always thought the PitMaster BBQ Temp Control Unit was a sweet looking tool. If it works the way it appears to, it should be a great add-on to any grill.
    PitMaster BBQ Temp Control

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.