Gas Grill

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ryan, gas is for week days and charcoal is for weekends. I need to get a Weber kettle this year for the weekends, although I’d like to have 1 combo unit.

I am surprised there aren’t charcoal snobs trying to take over the thread. I like charcoal just for the primal experience and it is easier to incorporate wood into the fire.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I was kinda thinking the same thing. I may have to just go economical and get a Weber Kettle and keep using my low end gas grill for the weekdays.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Ryan, gas is for week days and charcoal is for weekends.

Meh.
    With a chimney starter and a nice breeze, I can have hot coals in 30 minutes. Takes that long to get everything else in order anyways, so I am 100% charcoal. To each their own, though. I do understand the ease of gas, but I just prefer to do it the way I grew up.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t have 30 minutes to spare during the week, that’s my problem.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Plus what a waste of charcoal to heat a full Kettle just for 2 brats or burgers. I like gas for firing up just a couple brats/burgers.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Fair enough. Dinner is a priority for me, so I make time to make a good dinner most days.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Harder to do brisket and ribs slow cooking with charcoal, gas you just set the temp and your set. imho

I gave up charcoal when I found myself babysitting the heat and briquet’s all day.

al

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I’m a half and half Weber guy. The gas is great if time is short but if I want the best taste (IMHO)and have the time it is charcoal.

As far as slow cooking with charcoal I always use an electric starter (no starter fumes/taste) and bought a $3 two foot garden rake and split the coals by pulling to the sides. Indirect heat is great for chicken and roasts…had many many comments about the moist and tender meat.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I am surprised there aren’t charcoal snobs trying to take over the thread. I like charcoal just for the primal experience and it is easier to incorporate wood into the fire.

I’m a lump hardwood kind of guy.
    I’ve got a 220 Webber Q (propane), a 22inch Webber Preformer (lump), and a Big Block smoker.
    There are some rather nice eats here on my corner of the block.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Yeah, I had to look up pictures and make sure what you are talking about, but I have used that stuff and I love it too.

I should get another hibachi style grill. In such a compact space if you foil up some wood chips and stick them in there, you can get a really nice smokey flavor to pork chops, chicken and wings, although I’d never cook a steak in there.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.